Non Pentax Cameras

jackitec

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 16:29
What does anyone think about users who post photos on the Pentax users website with non Pentax Cameras?

womble

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 16:37
I have non-Pentax cameras and would post a non-Pentax photo in the pictures section if I wanted C&C but would "own up" from the start. I might even put one in my portfolio if I felt it deserved it, but say so in the blurb. When I finally have my head around the Horseman and a heavy enough tripod to use it properly, I shall probably post some pictures from that. I don't think Pentax (sadly) ever made lenses for view cameras and so there is no conflict of interest there. I am also thinking of playing with a panoramic format pinhole camera.

We may all be passionate about Pentax but I hope we are more passionate about good photographs.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

GrahamNR17

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 17:01
I think non-Pentax equipment is essential, as it acts as an excellent comparison. Most of my lenses are non-Pentax, and to be honest I'd not have it any other way. Wild horses and a crow bar wouldn't part me from the couple of bits of Zeiss glass I have, and similarly for the Russian Zeiss clones. I won't even mention my home-made accessories I think that while most people (especially on here) will sing the praises of Pentax quality, they understand that Petax aren't only manufacturer of high quality cameras and optics that ever graced our hobby. Some lenses from other manufacturers will suit a particular photographic aim better than a Pentax optic, and vice versa.

In summary, I'm all in favour of a healthy mix

Hardgravity

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 17:05
As long as people own up to the fact that the picture's been taken on a non Pentax camera I can't see a problem.

After all we all have Pentax cameras of some sort and most people have other makes as well, look at Hefty!

I've posted the odd picture taken on other brands, maybe we should have a new section called something like "other Cameras" where we cwan show these cameras and pictures without feeling guilty.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

jackitec

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 17:46
Thanks guys, I have loads of photos taken with other digi cameras that I would like to upload and I will say what camera I used when I do, It's just I felt guilty uploading Non Pentax Photos.

Gwyn

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 18:47
I'm not sure they should be put in the gallery tbh. Here on the forum OK, as long as you say they are non Pentax, but the gallery should be kept for Pentax imho.
That doesn't mean only Pentax lenses Graham, but it does mean Pentax bodies/compacts.
Last Edited by Gwyn on 15/01/2009 - 18:47

hefty1

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 19:17
Hardgravity wrote:
After all we all have Pentax cameras of some sort and most people have other makes as well, look at Hefty!

For shame, 'tis true!

In my defence there's only a few Rolleis, a couple of Leicas, a Contax, a Ricoh, a Panasonic, two Minoltas, a Praktica, a brace of Zenits, a Voigtlander, a Zeiss Ikon, a Canon, a Rank, a Mamiya and a drawful of Olympus Trips & RC35's - that's a normal collection isn't it?

I must admit though I've never posted anything on this site that didn't somehow involve Pentax equipment (body, lens or usually both). I have no objections per se to others doing so, but I agree they should be clearly marked and I'm still not convinced they should be allowed in the competitions - but that's just a personal feeling (so watch out if I'm ever judging and you don't want to be disqualified! ).

*edit* almost forgot 4 Kodaks - 3 box brownies and a digicam...
Joining the Q
Last Edited by hefty1 on 15/01/2009 - 19:19

GrahamNR17

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 19:28
Did anyone say "kleptomania"

gartmore

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 19:32
I've always been more interested in photography and photographs than cameras, it just so happens I prefer Pentax ones having used most makes at some time professionally. However, I cant see much point in a Pentax gallery that shows pictures taken with other marques. I think it is hard to know where to draw the line; for example, which is more a 'Pentax' photograph: one taken with a Pentax lens on a 3rd party body or one taken with a 3rd party lens on a Pentax body?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Tony-O

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 19:33
I have no objections per se to others doing so, but I agree they should be clearly marked and I'm still not convinced they should be allowed in the competitions - but that's just a personal feeling (so watch out if I'm ever judging and you don't want to be disqualified!

Ooooooh!!!!!!! Hefty,So no Ricoh solidarity here after recent beshmirshment(mmmmm! don't think thats very good spelling,must check with firefox!)Must get back to the red medicine! Tony-O.
K7,DA*50-135, 35mmLTD Macro, 21mm Ltd, Voightlaender 58mm 1.4 NOKTON SL,Ricoh GRD,GRX, Zeiss 100mm f2 Makro Planar.Zeiss Ikon ZM,Zeiss f1.5 C Sonnar.

It ain't no sin to take off your skin,and dance around in your bones.Tom Waits.

Prieni

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 20:00
hefty1 wrote:

For shame, 'tis true!

In my defence there's only a few Rolleis, a couple of Leicas, a Contax, a Ricoh, a Panasonic, two Minoltas, a Praktica, a brace of Zenits, a Voigtlander, a Zeiss Ikon, a Canon, a Rank, a Mamiya and a drawful of Olympus Trips & RC35's - that's a normal collection isn't it?

*edit* almost forgot 4 Kodaks - 3 box brownies and a digicam...

Apart from the Rolleis, Leicas .... what have the Romans ever done for us?

I don't see a problem with posts of pictures taken with other cameras. I agree that they shouldn't go in the gallery. I would think them ok in the weekly competition, though.

Gartmore: Somehow I feel a photo taken with Pentax body and 3rd party lens is more of a Pentax photo than one taken with 3rd party body and Pentax lens. At least for digital bodies that makes sense to me.

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

Tony-O

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 20:30
jackitec wrote:
What does anyone think about users who post photos on the Pentax users website with non Pentax Cameras?

One thing here that worries me a bit is the phrase ''What do we think about ''users''who post images from non Pentax cameras.My hope is that this is a democratic place and if the majority don't want ''other''images it's a simple matter of a poll!Let the voting begin!!
I say ban all the interlopers.(except me!)Tony-O
K7,DA*50-135, 35mmLTD Macro, 21mm Ltd, Voightlaender 58mm 1.4 NOKTON SL,Ricoh GRD,GRX, Zeiss 100mm f2 Makro Planar.Zeiss Ikon ZM,Zeiss f1.5 C Sonnar.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 20:32
Personally I think the competitions should be Pentax only, 3rd party lenses OK, but Pentax bodies.

I'm coming round to the view that the gallery should be for Pentax only and any other pics posted in a different section, otherwise we could have the gallery hi-jacked with inferior images from...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

jackitec

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 20:50
I'm now uploading a non Pentax Photo but don't tell anyone.

Tony-O

Link Posted 15/01/2009 - 21:30
cardiff_gareth wrote:
I have a Canon compact digital and a 35mm Ricoh R1 but I only use the Canon when the *istD is just too big to take and I haven't used the Ricoh in ages

jackitec wrote:
I'm now uploading a non Pentax Photo but don't tell anyone.

HE'S UPLOADING A NON PENTAX PHOTO - STOP HIM - WHERE'S THE PENTAX POLICE

I think thats what he wanted all along,he's just abig tease!Tony

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.