Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Non Pentax Cameras

terje-l
Posted 16/01/2009 - 15:49 Link
We all know that for a photographer, the picture is the ultimate result. The camera, lens and editor software are merely the tools of the trade to achieve the result.

Nevertheless, I wholeheartedly agree with Gwyn's point of view. This is a Pentax forum, and should remain so.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Hardgravity
Posted 16/01/2009 - 17:57 Link
Quote:
If the Zenit lens was used on the Zenit and Pentax bodies then the results would be different from the former test and the difference comes down only to the optics, the Pentax lens producing a superior result, but that is film.

Erm!

Zenit 55mm lenses are Carl Ziess clones( some even made in the same factory)!

Comparing like for like you'll see very little difference. Infact I've used my old Helios'44 lens on my Pentax Digital bodies with good results.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
johnriley
Posted 16/01/2009 - 18:51 Link
Quote:
Zenit 55mm lenses are Carl Ziess clones( some even made in the same factory)!

A bit of confusion here. Zenit or Zenith lenses are Russian.

Carl Zeiss Jena are East German lenses made after the war split Germany. The quality is fair, designs being based on pre-war Zeiss lenses.

Carl Zeiss West German lenses are the high quality ones that we then find on Rolleiflex and Hassleblad cameras. These were made in Oberkochen in West Germany. Jenoptik is the successor to the Eastern Carl Zeiss Jena after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

The Russian lenses are made from tooling taken in war reparations from the Carl Zeiss factories.
Best regards, John
GrahamNR17
Posted 16/01/2009 - 19:07 Link
[quote:3496ace15f="johnriley"]
Quote:

Carl Zeiss Jena are East German lenses made after the war split Germany. The quality is fair, designs being based on pre-war Zeiss lenses.

Generally a reasonable comment, but if you ever get the chance to use a CZJ 135/3.5 (the MC S version in particular) you'd very quickly change your mind. It could hold it's own against any similar lens made before or since. Bar none.

Don't even get me started on the Flektogon, Mir 1, etc
Prieni
Posted 16/01/2009 - 19:10 Link
John,

good to see that someone pays attention to the history of German optics industry.

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
Gwyn
Posted 16/01/2009 - 19:24 Link
Good to see we're sticking on topic as usual here
Prieni
Posted 16/01/2009 - 19:26 Link
Gwyn wrote:

We wouldn't want to wander off topic, would we now?

Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
Gwyn
Posted 16/01/2009 - 19:28 Link
Prieni wrote:
Gwyn wrote:

Prieni

It's never been known to happen in the lifetime of this forum has it?? That we stay on topic that it is
ttk
Posted 16/01/2009 - 19:31 Link
Gwyn wrote:
Prieni wrote:
Quote:

Prieni

It's never been known to happen in the lifetime of this forum has it?? That we stay on topic that it is

Are we on topic then
Tel,
gartmore
Posted 16/01/2009 - 19:32 Link
I think it is fair to say that the quality of East German and Russian optics varied considerably in terms of quality control. I have a fabulous pair of CZJ binoculars (Notarem 10x40B mc) which I inherited. Looking on binocular forums they are very highly rated but only if you have a good pair!

Hardgravity, I dont think you could point the Helios at the sun (that's ironic) and get the same results that a SMC Takumar would achieve.

Gauntlet thrown to the ground

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Prieni
Posted 16/01/2009 - 19:32 Link
What was the topic?
Prieni's PPG page
gartmore
Posted 16/01/2009 - 19:33 Link
Prieni wrote:
Gwyn wrote:

Prieni

What a dull life we would have if conversations amongst friends couldn't shift like sand dunes in the wind
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Tony-O
Posted 16/01/2009 - 19:48 Link
gartmore wrote:
Prieni wrote:
Quote:

Prieni

What a dull life we would have if conversations amongst friends couldn't shift like sand dunes in the wind

So what camera did Lawrence of Arabia use then?
K7,DA*50-135, 35mmLTD Macro, 21mm Ltd, Voightlaender 58mm 1.4 NOKTON SL,Ricoh GRD,GRX, Zeiss 100mm f2 Makro Planar.Zeiss Ikon ZM,Zeiss f1.5 C Sonnar.

It ain't no sin to take off your skin,and dance around in your bones.Tom Waits.
gartmore
Posted 16/01/2009 - 19:58 Link
Now I just happen to have the director's cut beside me - I will have a look.

However, now that we are as unashamedly off topic as anyone can be, I bought a copy of 'Tommy', Ken Russell's film in the basket beside the checkout in Morrisons for £2.99 on Saturday. It makes a welcome change from seeing ones of mine (which I buy to save any embarrassment with the neighbours and the royalty is usually more than the cost of the DVD) - but I digress.

In 'Tommy' all the cameras in shot are Pentax. Product placement? Well the film distributor, Rank, also distributed Asahi Pentax in the UK.
Ken
Tony-O
Posted 16/01/2009 - 20:02 Link
gartmore wrote:
Now I just happen to have the director's cut beside me - I will have a look.

However, now that we are as unashamedly off topic as anyone can be, I bought a copy of 'Tommy', Ken Russell's film in the basket beside the checkout in Morrisons for £2.99 on Saturday. It makes a welcome change from seeing ones of mine (which I buy to save any embarrassment with the neighbours and the royalty is usually more than the cost of the DVD) - but I digress.

In 'Tommy' all the cameras in shot are Pentax. Product placement? Well the film distributor, Rank, also distributed Asahi Pentax in the UK.

Ok nice,So what about ''Blow up''?
K7,DA*50-135, 35mmLTD Macro, 21mm Ltd, Voightlaender 58mm 1.4 NOKTON SL,Ricoh GRD,GRX, Zeiss 100mm f2 Makro Planar.Zeiss Ikon ZM,Zeiss f1.5 C Sonnar.

It ain't no sin to take off your skin,and dance around in your bones.Tom Waits.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.