New Pentax Lens Roadmap out

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 16:11
I don't think that peoples collections of old K, M and A types are really relevant in the context of wishlists of what Ricoh will make new for us going ahead. In fact, surely the typical die hard owner of quality old Pentax primes is rather unlikely to spend money now on new, and rather expensive, D FA primes (when they're available) ?

Algi is spot on that they were aware of the demand for a FF camera body in which to use all the legacy glass, and most of that clamour was about the quality primed .... The Limiteds in particular but also the better 'faster' 50mm ones, perhaps the macros also.

So I don't think Ricoh were expecting to sell many new primes to that group. They released the zooms to appeal both to existing Pentax users who would trade in their DA zooms and 'upgrade' to D FA. Also they needed serious looking offerings that were competitive against the Canikon equivilents to ensure the whole brand package could appeal to new starters and those looking to move over to Pentax.

There was little apparent demand from owners of older legacy zooms for FF ....a typical owner of something like, say, the FA20-35, was not saying " I need a FF Digital camera because my 20-35 will be great on it .... No, they were thinking more that it was lucky they had a 20-35 because it will save them money!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 01/03/2018 - 16:12

johnriley

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 17:05
Quote:
There was little apparent demand from owners of older legacy zooms for FF

More that they had no function on APS-C, so we bought lenses like the 12-24mm. However, as soon as the K-1 arrived the 20-35mm became very useful again and I snapped one up as soon as I saw one. Apart from anything else, the FA zooms are very much smaller and lighter than the D FA ones. Many may not be as good though.
Best regards, John

RobL

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 17:08
And the F2.8 D FA zooms 15-30, 24-70, and 70-200 are virtually a standard set across all brands so it made sense to launch these first; they would be the most popular and also paired with the K-1 more likely to attract customers from other brands. I saw recently a list of best first buy dslrs which consisted of Canikons in the top eight and the K70 ninth - the reason it wasn’t higher, the reviewer said, was purely down to the limited lens range available. But in reality there are far more aps-c Pentax lenses than anyone else but of course the FF range is relatively limited so it is great to see Pentax working hard at this and I am sure as the range expands we will see more niche lenses appearing. Bear in mind that Pentax is a relatively small company so doesn’t have the resources to churn out loads of new launches but it is reassuring to know that each one is rigorously developed.

johnha

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 17:26
johnriley wrote:
[More that they had no function on APS-C, so we bought lenses like the 12-24mm. However, as soon as the K-1 arrived the 20-35mm became very useful again and I snapped one up as soon as I saw one. Apart from anything else, the FA zooms are very much smaller and lighter than the D FA ones. Many may not be as good though.

The FA20-35/4 should be a much better focal length range, size and cost for most users compared to the 15-30 (which only really makes sense when paired with the 24-70). I simply don't understand why everybody suddenly wants a 15mm lens (it was an extremely rare & expensive focal length until DSLRs arrived). I'd prefer a fish-eye for ultra-wide as it works better in confined spaces (where I use lenses this wide most).
PPG Flickr

ronniemac

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 23:13
Probably not a Tamron, but I wonder if there be a similarity between the Pentax 70-200 F4 and the Tokina 70-200 F4?

It would just be good to see more K mount Tokrons with or without a Pentax badge, glass, w.r. and coatings.

Just saying.

Abe_Normal

Link Posted 02/03/2018 - 00:58
Or Sigma could allow the conversion of all Art / Contemporary / Sport lenses; not just those that got released in K-mount.

Mike-P

Link Posted 02/03/2018 - 08:06
Abe_Normal wrote:
Or Sigma could allow the conversion of all Art / Contemporary / Sport lenses; not just those that got released in K-mount.

Not going to happen. Sigma are selling everything they can produce at the moment and they have just announced the full set of primes in Sony mount.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Algernon

Link Posted 02/03/2018 - 09:10
Why would Sigma bother releasing Pentax lenses just so people could moan about them being too big and heavy etc.

They have released loads of lenses and hardly any have sold. The excellent 35mm f/1.4 Art lens is about £600, but I've never seen anyone on the forums using one

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 02/03/2018 - 09:19

Mike-P

Link Posted 02/03/2018 - 09:26
At the moment I use more Sigma lenses than Pentax I think.

15mm fisheye f2.8 EX
12-24mm DG EX
24-70mm f2.8 DG EX OS HSM
85mm f1.4 DG EX
180mm f3.5 DG EX Macro
70-200mm f2.8 DG EX HSM OS
100-300mm f4 DG EX

They cover my full frame needs for most things.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 02/03/2018 - 09:27

edin_togger

Link Posted 02/03/2018 - 11:12
Algernon wrote:
Why would Sigma bother releasing Pentax lenses just so people could moan about them being too big and heavy etc.

They have released loads of lenses and hardly any have sold. The excellent 35mm f/1.4 Art lens is about £600, but I've never seen anyone on the forums using one

--

The Sigma 35mm f1.4 is a great lens but I personally found the AF to be suspect on the K1... that and the 31mm f1.8 is just awesome!

HarisF1

Link Posted 02/03/2018 - 11:29
edin_togger wrote:
Algernon wrote:

--

The Sigma 35mm f1.4 is a great lens but I personally found the AF to be suspect on the K1... that and the 31mm f1.8 is just awesome!

How much of the AF performance will be down to Pentax not really doing their bit? I can imagine it's a struggle (being Sigma) to have to keep up with loads of different manufacturers, and then you'll have Pentax who don't really play well with third party in the first place.

Does anyone else do silent focusing motors for Pentax other than Sigma?

johnha

Link Posted 02/03/2018 - 11:29
edin_togger wrote:

I saw a review of the 35/1.4 - apparently CaNikon bodies also struggled with focussing - only the 'cross-type' sensors had any hope of working (any they're mostly clustered in the centre of the frame). It also stated that no camera manufacturer would make such a lens due to problems with focussing - if an independent lens doesn't focus on a body it's not the body manufacturers fault - but you'd expect a $$$ CaNikon lens to focus on a $$$$ CaNikon body.
PPG Flickr

Algernon

Link Posted 02/03/2018 - 11:46
Even the expensive £1900 Can-on 85 f1-2 has focusing problems on Can-on cameras...

The other mans grass is definitely not greener

https://youtu.be/du3z4zeZ6u8?t=225

--

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 02/03/2018 - 11:49

redbusa99

Link Posted 02/03/2018 - 11:51
a few people have said that Ricoh produced the zooms to go with the K1 to entice new users or get users from other brands interested. now that would be all well and good if these people actually had the choice of suppliers the other brands have to be able to buy from
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr
ppg

Algernon

Link Posted 02/03/2018 - 12:04
You can get any Pentax lens delivered tomorrow so no problem for buyers

Also back to Ca-non the AF isn't fast enough on 50mm OK on 35mm....

https://youtu.be/qRNstPolN38?t=490

This video is very informative. You don't need AF tracking or multiple focus points. You can use an f/1.2 wide open with a moving model and ONE AF point... So stop moaning and take pictures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1eVrLjdCzA
--

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 02/03/2018 - 12:26
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.