New Pentax Lens Roadmap out

johnha

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 18:11
Commenting on a few posts here:
1) Primes have had their day, unless you have a massive user base, you won't sell enough to warrant their development. Some shooters prefer them, but the proportion who are able & dedicated enough to spend £3-500 each on several prime lenses instead of buying an 'industry standard' popular zoom is very low.

2) Don't stress about the lens range. There's enough for everybody (although I'd prefer constant aperture f/4 zooms instead of 3.5-5.6). I see no need for a lens wider than 20mm (except fish-eyes), super wide-angle zooms or ultra-fast wide angle primes the size of a P6x7 lens.

3) What did I spend the money on instead:
Fixing my LX and obtaining some K series lenses for it.
Adding lenses to my P6x7 outfit.
Shooting more film.
Buying a GR.
PPG Flickr

edin_togger

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 18:15
Primes have had their day? Are you nuts? Have you seen the amount of new primes for Fuji, Sony and Nikon (updating old ones), they sell plenty if they’re A: Good and B: a focal length/speed folk are after.

danofmk

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 18:26
An LX

Some K series lenses...

AND a 6x7!?!?

That's just not fair!

About the same cost as a new K1 too I'd wager.

My local has just got in a 6x7. Must resist!

womble

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 19:19
I just got a Pentax 110 and 24, 50 and 70mm lenses and the Soligor TC. Can't wait till the film arrives. The results will be rubbish but I'll have fun taking them.... which for me is 80% of the point.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

womble

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 19:20
edin_togger wrote:
Primes have had their day? Are you nuts? Have you seen the amount of new primes for Fuji, Sony and Nikon (updating old ones), they sell plenty if they’re A: Good and B: a focal length/speed folk are after.

Most of the time I'm using a prime. The 50-135 comes out now and again.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Algernon

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 19:52
Pentax Roadmap....... Can I get a version for my SatNav

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

JAK

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 20:20
Algernon wrote:

--

No, just one of these https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ikoriko.pentax&hl=en
John K

johnha

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 23:46
edin_togger wrote:

The last time I saw a Fuji promotion, it was buy an XPro body, receive two lenses free.

Put another way, how many K-1 owners are going to be buying 28, 35, 50, 85 & 105 primes at £3-400 each when you can buy the 28-105 zoom? OK, the 28, 35 & 50 should be affordable and useful - the FA 35/2 & 50/1.4 are still available new (along with the 43/1.9 Ltd). 85mm are hugely expensive as only f/1.8's are available and 105mm seem to have dropped off the radar. The only FA24mm lens was a huge f/2 version which is hard to find and very expensive - how could it be more affordable designed new today when prime buyers are more of a minority?

I prefer primes and spent a fortune building a set, but the current preferred lenses are a wide zoom 15-30 or thereabouts, 28-70/2.8, 24-205/4, 70-210/4, 70-210/2.8 & 100-400 or similar depending upon budget. Pentax have to prioritise these lenses as they're the first (and often only) ones the 'new believers' expect to be available.

Some Canon shooters prefer SMC-Takumars and dodgy adapters to the current EF primes (even though a 40 year old SMC-Tak 85mm f/1.8 costs more than a brand new EF85/1..
PPG Flickr

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 05:55
The new telephoto lens will almost certainly be a Pentax re-badge of the recently announced Tamron 70-210mm f/4 lens. One one hand it's good to see more lenses in the line-up, on the other we're getting Tamron re-badges with a 20% (or more) or so mark-up compared to what CaNikon shooters pay for the same lens.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

RobL

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 07:56
How many times does it need to be said, Pentax lenses are NOT rebadged Tamrons! Those that are similar are made under licence by Tamron to Pentax specification and glass, with special coatings and weather resistance. Also without SR and with better materials in construction. The superior performance this gives has been shown in side by side tests and that is what you are paying for. It really doesn’t help to keep repeating this misinformation.
Last Edited by RobL on 01/03/2018 - 07:57

pschlute

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 10:08
Algernon wrote:

--

Possibly, but will you ever hear those words "you have reached your destination" ?
Peter

My Flickr page

Mag07

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 11:38
It's the journey that counts, not the destination :p
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

womble

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 11:45
johnha wrote:
edin_togger wrote:

The last time I saw a Fuji promotion, it was buy an XPro body, receive two lenses free.

Put another way, how many K-1 owners are going to be buying 28, 35, 50, 85 & 105 primes at £3-400 each when you can buy the 28-105 zoom? OK, the 28, 35 & 50 should be affordable and useful - the FA 35/2 & 50/1.4 are still available new (along with the 43/1.9 Ltd). 85mm are hugely expensive as only f/1.8's are available and 105mm seem to have dropped off the radar. The only FA24mm lens was a huge f/2 version which is hard to find and very expensive - how could it be more affordable designed new today when prime buyers are more of a minority?

I prefer primes and spent a fortune building a set, but the current preferred lenses are a wide zoom 15-30 or thereabouts, 28-70/2.8, 24-205/4, 70-210/4, 70-210/2.8 & 100-400 or similar depending upon budget. Pentax have to prioritise these lenses as they're the first (and often only) ones the 'new believers' expect to be available.

Some Canon shooters prefer SMC-Takumars and dodgy adapters to the current EF primes (even though a 40 year old SMC-Tak 85mm f/1.8 costs more than a brand new EF85/1..

You've rather argued for both sides of the case. If you have spent a fortune building-up a set of primes, I guess other people (including me) have done the same. Most of my lenses are primes (lots of K-series, some M, some A, a few F, two FA Ltds, a Sigma macro...) but I also have zooms (12-24, 17-70, 50-135mm) and which I use depends on circumstances. The key is variety and choice. There are those who will only want two or three zooms, there are those who prefer primes, and there are those who want a bit of everything. Making sure there is something for everybody is the key. What lenses are the top of my wish list? The FA77, the almost-mythical A*200 macro...
Kris Lockyear

My website
Last Edited by womble on 01/03/2018 - 11:50

JAK

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 12:13
The danger is thinking everyone else thinks the same as you. Of course they don't.
John K

Algernon

Link Posted 01/03/2018 - 12:33
I'm driving down that lonesome road again

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.