Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt/Shift

RobL
Posted 19/11/2017 - 17:28 Link
I am still interested in this lens, but I have noticed that the body is rather wide by the K-mount flange:
Comment Image

Bearing in mind the problem with Sigma lenses rubbing against the K1 I am concerned that this could be similar - has anyone tried this combination?
HarisF1
Posted 19/11/2017 - 18:30 Link
I want one too, if only for the novelty. I'm sure Pentax will have considered the possible consequences of the huge overhang on the K-1.
All the gear with no idea
RobL
Posted 19/11/2017 - 19:31 Link
It’s not so much the overhang as the body curve above the mount which is where the Sigma rubbed. I guess Pentax were only concerned with their own lenses. As well as the Samyang body size is the vertical movement, I saw a video of a Nikon with quite a high overhang which the vertical shift seemed to touch which could be a limiting factor. Maybe to get the full range it will be necessary to turn the body to portrait mode. I haven’t found anything about this combo on google so I guess the only answer will be to drive the 90-odd miles to Watford and try one out.
HarisF1
Posted 19/11/2017 - 19:59 Link
I see what you mean. On mine I can see where Pentax cut a small bit of the curve away, presumably to avoid the kind of problems that arise with the Sigma lenses.

Let me know what you come up with if you decide to make the trip
MHOL190246
Posted 20/11/2017 - 16:40 Link
I found this link which does seem to confirm that the overhang could be an issue https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4003428
RobL
Posted 20/11/2017 - 17:56 Link
MHOL190246 wrote:
I found this link which does seem to confirm that the overhang could be an issue https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4003428

Thanks, that at least answers my queries. At least the lens can be fitted on the mount, and a vertical shift reduction from 12 to 10mm (with a bit of tape to stop marking the K1) is probably liveable with. I cannot see a circumstance where I would use the shift at 45 degrees, and if I wanted the full 12mm shift I could turn to portrait mode.

The usual uninformed comments in the article criticising Pentax on the design compared to the other makes but I wonder whether any other bodies have the same issue - as I said before I saw a video where the shift appeared to touch a Nikon overhang. I see the Canon and Nikon TS lenses have a bit more length between the mount and TS mechanism so maybe this a problem of Samyang’s making rather than Pentax.

You may wonder why bother when vertical distortion can be rectified in post production? I agree where this is very minor but otherwise there are two issues: firstly the more you correct the greater amount is lost through cropping, and secondly the image gets degraded in quality as before and after checks will show. Shifting horizontally can also improve the viewpoint if you cannot physically stand in the ideal spot. And finally, the tilt allows you to change the depth of field close to the camera so will be interesting to see what happens when a macro filter is attached, maybe avoid the need for focus stacking?

Trouble is, the siren call of Black Friday deals is seducing me to one of the lenses on offer this week so maybe the Samyang will have to wait.
Edited by RobL: 20/11/2017 - 17:58
johnriley
Posted 21/11/2017 - 21:51 Link
Looking at the camera bodies on my shelf, both Canon and Nikon do also have overhangs in many cases.

It would probably be best to buy the Samyang lens and return it if it doesn't work as needed, or if possible go and visit a shop that has it in stock. The latter might be more difficult.
Best regards, John
JAK
Posted 22/11/2017 - 17:13 Link
I can't speak for the Samyang shift lens but it isn't a problem with the Pentax K 28mm shift and the K-1. There's a 4 or 5 mm gap so doesn't really get close to being an issue..

Comment Image

Comment Image

I presume you realise that in liveview the sensor can be shifted to use a normal lens 'shifted' !
John K
RobL
Posted 24/11/2017 - 22:31 Link
Thanks Jak that gave me food for thought, reviews are good and I found a couple of clean copies on eBay. However today I just thought I would check SRS and saw the Samyang has a generous reduction to £625.50 so have taken a punt.
JAK
Posted 24/11/2017 - 22:41 Link
I paid less for my Pentax copy, though really purchased it as a collectible (gradually trying to get them all.) Be interesting to hear how you get on with the Samyang.
John K
Edited by JAK: 24/11/2017 - 22:43
HarisF1
Posted 25/11/2017 - 00:07 Link
What do you make of the Pentax shift lens, John?

If you've got any sample images on the K-1, they'll be interesting to see.
RobL
Posted 25/11/2017 - 08:12 Link
I don’t know how IQ would compare, I am guessing that the Pentax lens will be very good. In it’s favour are unrestricted adjustment and according to reviews ‘built like a tank’. The Samyang on the other hand will give me 24mm instead of 28mm which is a bonus for interiors, and also tilt which will be fun to play with. A pro architectural photographer recommended the Samyang over the third (and very expensive) option of a Schneider TS as she had tried the latter and was disappointed with the IQ.

If I ever come across a really pristine copy of the Pentax lens I might be tempted, although I am a bit of an obsessive when it comes to condition so a long shot. As Canon and Nikon produce a range of pro quality shift lenses it would be nice if Pentax followed suit with at least one update.
JAK
Posted 25/11/2017 - 12:03 Link
HarisF1 wrote:
What do you make of the Pentax shift lens, John?

If you've got any sample images on the K-1, they'll be interesting to see.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Those buildings are very close so it would normally be hard/impossible to get them fully in the frame without them leaning backwards.

All HDR'd as it was very flat lighting. The lens is fine and gives more scope for shifting than the K-1's sensor shift allows. It isn't a lens I'd normally carry unless was anticipating needing it. Nice to have in the arsenal though.
John K
Edited by JAK: 25/11/2017 - 12:10
HarisF1
Posted 25/11/2017 - 12:19 Link
Thank you, those are some very interesting images (the second pic demonstrates the shift impressively well). I don't have any express need for a shift lens but there's a certain itch at the back of my brain for stuff like this
RobL
Posted 25/11/2017 - 13:21 Link
HarisF1 wrote:
Thank you, those are some very interesting images (the second pic demonstrates the shift impressively well). I don't have any express need for a shift lens but there's a certain itch at the back of my brain for stuff like this

It’s called gear acquisition syndrome! Know how it feels.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.