Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

New K3 image - interesting!

jules
Posted 05/10/2013 - 21:25 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
just looking at the D7100 specs at SRS and saw this .....

"1.3x crop function, expanding the possibilities of DX format: with extra telephoto effect, faster speed (up to 7 fps) and extra wide AF coverage."

Obviously catering to the ethos that 24MP is of no extra gain for many applications, so they dump some of them and allow faster fps.

I wonder if the K-3 will also do this.

D7100 gets within about half a stop of the K5 on paper, it's not the same as with all Nikons they clip the highlights a bit more, for the extra third of a stop of ISO, for victory in the Pi$$I^g contest.

You do get a bit more speed but frankly the D7100's buffer is sooo limited in RAW that it just can't do bursts even with a 95mb/sec card on board, needs more grunt, and the new Fujitsu milbeaut gives us just that! Plus Ricoh/Pentax are not crippled/blinded by Nikons strict, hierarchical approach to camera models.
I have to say that the main reason I'm looking at the K3 is to get back into Airshows and critters again, so the cropping for extra EFOV is my priority and the new focus system second... I'd like to be able to do an Airshow with the Bare DA* 300mm F4 SDM.
New Sony Chip, Fujitsu Milbeaut and all those cross sensors all adds up to a nice package I think.

I like Mike can't ever see Ricoh/Pentax challenging the big three head to head but they can increase their sales quite a bit, they need to re-grow the brand, out of Japan (90% of sales), with this competitive APSC and it must be just that, no less.
FF? (Hate the Term!) Yes but this one first and better support/high street presence/shop space, then FF. They appear to be growing the "Pro Centres", this can only be good for the future.
Ricoh on the back, so far I'll live with it...
How about some really well thought out CSC's as well? Nikon and Canon are lacking there, they are popular in the far east, so more sales, more growth and more money for more and more and more...
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Edited by jules: 05/10/2013 - 21:46
Conqueror
Posted 05/10/2013 - 21:44 Link
Mike-P wrote:
To be honest I don't think Pentax (Ricoh) can ever achieve substantial gains in market share, the new camera, while probably being what most people want out of a crop body, is really only what Canon and Nikon have had for years. From here on in the next body has to be full frame really.

The Ace up their sleeve is the hordes of Pentax users with thousands of pounds worth of K mount lenses that have been crying out for this camera for a long time ... and who are prepared to pay early adopters premium.

I should imagine there are plenty of them.

I disagree.

Surely Pentax K-30/K-50/K-500 smokes any other DSLR at the entry level.

The K-5iis What do the others provide at that price point? When the K-5 was reduced it was super value, nothing came close for 400-450 quid.

The problem is exposure/stigma I think. Pickup a copy of Which? magazine or something.. They always bang on about the same brands.. Pentax offers outstanding VFM IMO, but the problem is getting others to realise that.

And the things about lens choice is a load of ****. Yes theres a couple of things we don't have, but do we really need a choice of 50000 lenses?

The primes Pentax has made are real gems IMO and a big plus point of the system. I also think in built stabilisation is a massive plus. Paying extra for stabilisation on a lens. I'd be furious

Bit of rant.
K-3ii
Conqueror
Posted 05/10/2013 - 21:49 Link
Pentax K-500 DSLR Camera with DAL 18-55mm Lens Kit - Black (16MP, CMOS APS-C Sensor) 3 inch LCD

Currently £346.45 at Amazon uk with free del...

That is lot of camera for the money (relatively speaking)

Who else can match that?
K-3ii
Edited by Conqueror: 05/10/2013 - 21:49
Mike-P
Posted 05/10/2013 - 21:49 Link
DrOrloff wrote:
Pentax simply has to win market share.

I said substantial market share. They will pick up some that's for sure but I don't see anything that would make your average Canikon user change brands. Saying that Pentax is still losing the full frame brigade a few at a time.
jules
Posted 05/10/2013 - 21:52 Link
Conqueror wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
To be honest I don't think Pentax (Ricoh) can ever achieve substantial gains in market share, the new camera, while probably being what most people want out of a crop body, is really only what Canon and Nikon have had for years. From here on in the next body has to be full frame really.

The Ace up their sleeve is the hordes of Pentax users with thousands of pounds worth of K mount lenses that have been crying out for this camera for a long time ... and who are prepared to pay early adopters premium.

I should imagine there are plenty of them.

I disagree.

The K-5iis What do the others provide at that price point? When the K-5 was reduced it was super value, nothing came close for 400-450 quid.

The problem is exposure/stigma I think. Pickup a copy of Which? magazine or something.. They always bang on about the same brands.. Pentax offers outstanding VFM IMO, but the problem is getting others to realise that.

And the things about lens choice is a load of ****. Yes theres a couple of things we don't have, but do we really need a choice of 50000 lenses?

The primes Pentax has made are real gems IMO and a big plus point of the system. I also think in built stabilisation is a massive plus. Paying extra for stabilisation on a lens. I'd be furious

Bit of rant.

All true but it just doesn't stack up in sales, I totally agree with you on the VFM and Bang for Buck they can't be beat, IBIS and the Limited's, should have em queuing out of the door but they haven't been have they?
Mikes basically on about the focusing, and if you've ever tried a Canon 7D or Nikon D300s/D7100, you would see immediately, what he's on about, it's not the whole story but it's a headline grabber...
Nikon/Canon and Sony are marketing giants, and the biggest bullies too, they play dirty...
Sony is on the board at Tamron and I'm lead to believe that they won't let em do the newer lenses in K mount, also at Olympus now, if you can't beat it just buy it...
Cheers Jules...

Edited by jules: 05/10/2013 - 21:54
Mike-P
Posted 05/10/2013 - 21:57 Link
Conqueror wrote:

If I didn't think the same I wouldn't have a K-5II and a whole bunch od DA primes and DA* zooms ... but then I'm not the one Ricoh has to convince. It's Joe Bloggs whose mates all use Canikon (so he can share their lenses) and when he watches football at the weekend all he sees is a long line of big white lenses is the one they have to go after.

And Pentax still needs a 70-200mm f2.8 and 100-400mm fsomething ... Canon, Nikon, and even Sony have those (and sell them by the thousands from what I can see).
DrOrloff
Posted 05/10/2013 - 21:59 Link
Mike-P wrote:
DrOrloff wrote:
Pentax simply has to win market share.

I said substantial market share. They will pick up some that's for sure but I don't see anything that would make your average Canikon user change brands. Saying that Pentax is still losing the full frame brigade a few at a time.

Pentax simply has to win substantial market share to prosper long term. I don't see it either, unless there is that ace up the sleeve and/or more innovative models to come and I hope there is/are.
Edited by DrOrloff: 05/10/2013 - 22:01
Conqueror
Posted 05/10/2013 - 22:03 Link
Hopefully the K-3 will give some exposure.. to itself (K-3) and the brand in gerneral
K-3ii
Edited by Conqueror: 05/10/2013 - 22:04
DrOrloff
Posted 05/10/2013 - 22:04 Link
jules wrote:
How about some really well thought out CSC's as well? Nikon and Canon are lacking there, they are popular in the far east, so more sales, more growth and more money for more and more and more...

I don't know, this seems very well thought out indeed to me, very innovative.
Edited by DrOrloff: 05/10/2013 - 22:05
Mike-P
Posted 05/10/2013 - 22:04 Link
If Sony can't do it what chance does Ricoh (Pentax) have?

I really hope they can but as long as they keep going for at least the next 20 years or so I will be happy ... I really can't see myself carrying the 250-600mm around past the age of 70
DrOrloff
Posted 05/10/2013 - 22:20 Link
Mike-P wrote:

I really hope they can but as long as they keep going for at least the next 20 years or so I will be happy ... I really can't see myself carrying the 250-600mm around past the age of 70

Every chance, I reckon Pentax has very good engineers who have been previously wrongly focused. It's a toughie but it absolutely depends on innovation. In the tech world a lack of constant, rapid innovation means a very prompt demise (Nokia, Blackberry). On the other hand determination to innovate pays dividends (Samsung). Hoya really shafted Pentax and it is not going to be easy for Ricoh to turn it around. Ricoh have been making noises about becoming a player and the K3 is the first chance to demonstrate that they are justified. Coming seven months or so after the D7100 is a very long time, so it needs that much extra.
Edited by DrOrloff: 05/10/2013 - 22:21
jules
Posted 05/10/2013 - 22:21 Link
DrOrloff wrote:
jules wrote:

I don't know, this seems very well thought out indeed to me, very innovative.

Not a fan I'm afraid, more off the wall than innovative for me and the Sensor is too small to be of use to me, it will sell a bit I guess, Look! "I'm harder than you", because I got the rugged one! Phones will eventually kill all the small sensor camera's...
Jacques Cousteau, Samsung Galaxy Diver, power zoom...
I was thinking of APSC Competitors to M4/3, that way they can take some market share from Canon and Nikon and some from Olympus and Panasonic, little from Column A and a little from Column B...
Maybe even a FF/APSC Rangefinder series with either the FA or DA Limited's???
Cheers Jules...

jules
Posted 05/10/2013 - 22:24 Link
DrOrloff wrote:
Mike-P wrote:

Every chance, I reckon Pentax has very good engineers who have been previously wrongly focused. It's a toughie but it absolutely depends on innovation. In the tech world a lack of constant, rapid innovation means a very prompt demise (Nokia, Blackberry). On the other hand determination to innovate pays dividends (Samsung). Hoya really shafted Pentax and it is not going to be easy for Ricoh to turn it around. Ricoh have been making noises about becoming a player and the K3 is the first chance to demonstrate that they are justified. Coming seven months or so after the D7100 is a very long time, so it needs that much extra.

2000! Well done good Doctor!

I have a good feeling about the marriage of Ricoh and Pentax, as long as the Pentax unit is still whole or there at all...
Cheers Jules...

Mike-P
Posted 05/10/2013 - 22:40 Link
DrOrloff wrote:

Every chance, I reckon Pentax has very good engineers who have been previously wrongly focused. It's a toughie but it absolutely depends on innovation. In the tech world a lack of constant, rapid innovation means a very prompt demise (Nokia, Blackberry).

I thought Hoya got rid of the decent Pentax engineers .. I know the best of the lens staff were let go.

I believe Nokia are on their way up again now, in part due to the cameras they are putting in the phones. Strange how these things work out.
Conqueror
Posted 05/10/2013 - 23:17 Link
Talk of a 55-300mm WR lens with HD coating over at the US forum... Not sure if release will be close to K-3 though

Sounds like a good idea
K-3ii
Edited by Conqueror: 05/10/2013 - 23:18

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.