New K3 image - interesting!

sbrads

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 19:08
Is the average PC up to handling 24MP files? I know my over-clocked Core2Duo is only just adequate.

jules

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 19:28
A summary from Dragon Lord over at the AMerican Forum...

Significant changes:

Revised AF switch and AF MODE button
This indicates significant changes to the AF system
USB 3.0 connector
This is a standard USB Micro-B connector, not a proprietary connector
Headphone jack
Card select button
This means we have dual SD card slots!
Live view mode switch and live view/movie recording button
Finally, Ricoh's taking movie recording seriously!
Metering mode/delete button
This replaces the standalone delete button, indicating significant changes to the metering system
In addition:

There is no AF mode selector on the back on the camera. It has probably been moved to the AF MODE button on the front of the camera. The AF button has bee moved up to the right of the E-dial. The button for selecting the AF point is the same button used to select card slots.
A diopter wheel is visible at the top right of the viewfinder eyepiece.
Now that's gorgeous. Ricoh delivered pretty much everything us Pentaxians wanted

Read more at: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/238387-another-new-image-k...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Last Edited by jules on 05/10/2013 - 19:29

jules

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 19:31
sbrads wrote:
Is the average PC up to handling 24MP files? I know my over-clocked Core2Duo is only just adequate.

I'm using a three year old i5 and it coped fine with D800 files and with ease when using the D600...

If yor machine will take it more RAM and an SSD...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams

Defragged

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 19:37
jules wrote:

Now that's gorgeous. Ricoh delivered pretty much everything us Pentaxians wanted

Including a de-crippled 'K MOUNT' ???
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

jules

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 19:38
Mike-P wrote:
cabstar wrote:
£1200 is ridiculous for an sps-c it needs to be under a £1000 maybe even £900 anymore and your well into full frame territory..

I'm just going on the original K-5 price and adding a bit for good measure

To my way of thinking the new camera is basically my Canon 7D with a better sensor and an extra card slot so it should be selling for around a grand.

Full frame territory maybe but the cameras you are referring to are lacking the bits I want such as AF speed/points and decent tracking ability.

Chinese blog that leaked all the pics I posted qoutes $1300, so Mike may be spot on? The official Nikon UK store qoutes £1099 body only for a D7100, I'd say that is your ballpark...

Same store quotes £1995.99 for a D600 body, which is out of stock...

They obviously sell for less on the open UK market and so I presume will the K3, after a short time...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 05/10/2013 - 19:39

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 19:40
cabstar wrote:
True, but how many aps c bodies have launched this year with a price over a £1000?? I think Ricoh need to get competitive with this from the outset

According to Camera Price Buster the Nikon D7100 lowest price on release was £1100 and lets face it the K-3 is (from what I can see) basically the same camera (which is not a bad thing at all) but with less focus points and a more substantial build (as was the K-5/D7000)
. My Flickr

jules

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 19:43
Defragged wrote:
jules wrote:

Including a modern K mount! My K mount supports all my lenses perfectly well!

Why should they support dusty fungus infested dinosaurs from forty odd years before Ricoh even bought the company???

We should all be happy that there is still a K mount at all...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 05/10/2013 - 19:45

Defragged

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 19:49
jules wrote:
Defragged wrote:
Quote:

Including a modern K mount! My K mount supports all my lenses perfectly well!

Why should they support dusty fungus infested dinosaurs from forty odd years before Ricoh even bought the company???

We should all be happy that there is still a K mount at all...

Heck, sorry I spoke.

Going back to silent mode!!!
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 19:55
Defragged wrote:
Heck, sorry I spoke.

Going back to silent mode!!!

It may be harsh but unfortunately it's true.

The way Hoya were going I couldn't see Pentax lasting much longer but at least now we have a new body that could be what many have been waiting for.

And as a side note, personally I couldn't give a 4X about the Ricoh name on the back.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 05/10/2013 - 19:56

cabstar

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 20:20
The k-5 iis is still around $1000 at b & h so maybe the k-3 will be under a £1000 if theyre thinking around $1200
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Smeggypants

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 20:33
jules wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:
Quote:
cabstar wrote:
Well it seems to have everything weve been asking for except ff

Disapointed it needs a new grip bg5

The only thing I've asked for is a step up in iso performance, high and low. I would be surprised given the extra pixels but that would be the Nikon killer for me, otherwise it seems pretty much on a par with the D7100. So here's hoping Pentax have something up their sleeves. I don't really know what most of the buttons or menu options on my K5 are for, so I've little hope with even more buttons.

me too, plus GPS.

If it's got GPS and an increase in dynamic range equal to the increase from K-20D to K-5 then I'll be hankering, otherwise a little underwhelmed so far.

Yet to see a 24Mp sensor with the same Dynamics as the K5's... yet.
Even my D600 struggled to match the K5's lack of highlight clipping, I've owned a Sony A77 and Nex7 and also had an extended trial of a D7100, I'm still not convinced by 24Mp APSC Sensors, if this sensor is a Sony which by all accounts it is, it's a fairly new one so there is some hope of equalling the K5 here...
The sensor in all the K5's seemed to hit some kind of sweet spot regarding dynamic range and lack of diffraction across a range of lenses both Nikon and Pentax (Yes I owned a D7000 too!).

I'd like GPS too but only because I get a lot of interest in my Pictures thru Google earth and Panaramio, so it will probably make the exact mapping somewhat easier. It really eat the battery on my A77 though...
Can't decide if the new grip is different to the current one or not? Maybe it's only different in that as we have discussed before it adds more functionality?

D7100 rougly equals K-5 in terms of Dynamic Range

Sony A77 does indeed lag behind

DXO Sensor comparison
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

DrOrloff

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 20:47
The launch price of the D7100 is only really relevant now if the K3 can trump the Nikon. If it is of similar spec and performance then it has to compete on the current price, which is £839 at SRS.

That's the problem when you have to play catch-up. It is only innovation that will win market share. So is there an ace in the sleeve? If there is then it will be a crackingly good sensor as there are no surprises so far.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Last Edited by DrOrloff on 05/10/2013 - 20:51

Mike-P

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 20:58
To be honest I don't think Pentax (Ricoh) can ever achieve substantial gains in market share, the new camera, while probably being what most people want out of a crop body, is really only what Canon and Nikon have had for years. From here on in the next body has to be full frame really.

The Ace up their sleeve is the hordes of Pentax users with thousands of pounds worth of K mount lenses that have been crying out for this camera for a long time ... and who are prepared to pay early adopters premium.

I should imagine there are plenty of them.
. My Flickr

Smeggypants

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 21:15
just looking at the D7100 specs at SRS and saw this .....

"1.3x crop function, expanding the possibilities of DX format: with extra telephoto effect, faster speed (up to 7 fps) and extra wide AF coverage."

Obviously catering to the ethos that 24MP is of no extra gain for many applications, so they dump some of them and allow faster fps.

I wonder if the K-3 will also do this.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

DrOrloff

Link Posted 05/10/2013 - 21:24
Pentax simply has to win market share. If it doesn't it will cease to exist. It cannot rely on upgraders, there are not enough. The Pentax hordes are not hordes, they are the few.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.