New K3 image - interesting!

giofi

Link Posted 06/10/2013 - 21:22
But for the K-3 to be a Canikon beater the key is fast outofocus, not sensor quality. It seems to me that the differences in sensor performance are not that significant, but cameras such as the d7100 now have very fast AF as a differrentiator. If i am not mistaken the Nikon D7100 has a better AF than the D600, which is more about sensor performance. Or am I wrong?
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

richandfleur

Link Posted 06/10/2013 - 21:32
Hopefully that faster CPU will allow for higher bitrates during video. To compete with others these need to be much higher out of the box. It's akin to the 'quality' level you save a JPEG at within photoshop for example.

Also, does anyone do any serious HDR work in camera? ie how important is HDR Raw capability really? I've always found the subject so variable / tweakable that I couldn't expect the camera to get it right on the spot. The only time I've seen that useful in practise was for backlight compensation, rather than a dramatic HDR effect.

I'm curious what other people think about focus points. I personally see them as useful for either: tripod work, where I've got all the time in the world to jump about selecting the right point, or where you have a lineup of people and potentially you could use it to check that you've got a wide enough DOF / Aperture selection to get everyone's faces in focus at different depths. For everything else I use a centre point only.

So for me, I don't care if it's got 20 or 100 focus points, only I know what I want to be in focus, so I only use one. What I do want though is for this point to be quick, and then to be smart enough to follow that point as it moves towards or away from me. An example would be a bride walking towards the camera down the aisle etc.

My brother recently did one 3 minute video in Thailand on the back of a crazy Tuk Tuk ride and the Canon camera happily focused between the surrounding shops and cars and then back close up back onto the other passengers faces. Simple stuff, but it worked well. My K-30 can't do that.

Also at this point it looks like a really solid camera, but are we seeing something that blows everything else away? or not? The price point will have a lot to say about that I guess.
Real keen to see what the K3 offers upon release
Last Edited by richandfleur on 06/10/2013 - 21:34

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 06/10/2013 - 21:46
I use focus points regularly when shooting at the kart track and try to get the helmet in focus as much as is possible, so having more options will be very useful.
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

jules

Link Posted 06/10/2013 - 21:48
giofi wrote:
But for the K-3 to be a Canikon beater the key is fast outofocus, not sensor quality. It seems to me that the differences in sensor performance are not that significant, but cameras such as the d7100 now have very fast AF as a differrentiator. If i am not mistaken the Nikon D7100 has a better AF than the D600, which is more about sensor performance. Or am I wrong?

Correct Giorgio! However the D7100 is sooo crippled in burst mode to almost not making it worth having all that lovely tracking capability!
I looked at both and got the D600, Focus points 39/9cross as opposed to 51/15cross/1xF8 but on the D600, 33points went up to F7.1 and 7 up to F8! Also the D600 can shoot 18 RAW at 5.5FPS as opposed to the D7100 doing only 6 at 6FPS, or one more if you use the crop mode, the buffer clears pretty quick though.
The Nikon Hierarchy...
Cheers Jules...

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

Mike-P

Link Posted 06/10/2013 - 21:54
richandfleur wrote:

I'm curious what other people think about focus points. I personally see them as useful for either: tripod work, where I've got all the time in the world to jump about selecting the right point, or where you have a lineup of people and potentially you could use it to check that you've got a wide enough DOF / Aperture selection to get everyone's faces in focus at different depths. For everything else I use a centre point only.

The more points you have the more accurate the focus (especially tracking) should be. The problem with the present Pentax focus point spread is that each one has a large empty area round it so it can literally choose to focus on anything in that area whereas if you have (as an example) 3 points there then the one you have chosen has less scope to pick something other than what you want it to focus on.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 06/10/2013 - 21:55

jules

Link Posted 06/10/2013 - 21:55
richandfleur wrote:
Hopefully that faster CPU will allow for higher bitrates during video. To compete with others these need to be much higher out of the box. It's akin to the 'quality' level you save a JPEG at within photoshop for example.

Also, does anyone do any serious HDR work in camera? ie how important is HDR Raw capability really? I've always found the subject so variable / tweakable that I couldn't expect the camera to get it right on the spot. The only time I've seen that useful in practise was for backlight compensation, rather than a dramatic HDR effect.

So for me, I don't care if it's got 20 or 100 focus points, only I know what I want to be in focus, so I only use one. What I do want though is for this point to be quick, and then to be smart enough to follow that point as it moves towards or away from me. An example would be a bride walking towards the camera down the aisle etc.

My brother recently did one 3 minute video in Thailand on the back of a crazy Tuk Tuk ride and the Canon camera happily focused between the surrounding shops and cars and then back close up back onto the other passengers faces. Simple stuff, but it worked well. My K-30 can't do that.

Also at this point it looks like a really solid camera, but are we seeing something that blows everything else away? or not? The price point will have a lot to say about that I guess.
Real keen to see what the K3 offers upon release

More focus points allow for better tracking ability across the frame, the problem with the K5 is that the AF Points in comparison to a Canikon are like Barn Doors! The Canikons would have about four focus points in the same space as the Pentax's one. That means it has less information to go on regarding speed and direction, and less points to lay off the focusing to as the subject moves diagonally towards you or across the frame. This is why the birders often moan about Pentax, though having seen Blythmans shots I think maybe they should just go and practice more!

In practice there is a difference, the K5 isn't that bad really it's just not up there with the big two, and if you've used the big two for a while it's a bit of a reality check. The K3 would appear to have quite enough points covering a good area of the frame and the new Milbeaut to process the information, all the ingredients are there as long as Ricoh have taught the Pentax Bods how to write focus algorithms...

I want one but the only way to get it for the moment would be to part with my K5IIs BG4 and probably my 50-135, too high a price!
Cheers Jules...

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Last Edited by jules on 06/10/2013 - 22:03

Mike-P

Link Posted 06/10/2013 - 22:03
jules wrote:

I want one but the only way to get it for the moment would be to part with my K5IIs BG4 and probably my 50-135, too high a price!

I am at this moment taking pictures of my Canon fit Sigma 50-500mm OS to post in the for sale thread on another forum.
. My Flickr

Smeggypants

Link Posted 06/10/2013 - 22:18
giofi wrote:

Well I'm primarily basing my interest in the K-3 in terms of whether I'll want to buy one, not whether it's a Canikin beater.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

giofi

Link Posted 06/10/2013 - 22:41
Smeggypants wrote:
giofi wrote:

Well I'm primarily basing my interest in the K-3 in terms of whether I'll want to buy one, not whether it's a Canikin beater.

Smeggy,
My comment was in reply to a previous post talking about the K-3 being a Canikon beater.... Personally, I share your view, but for Pentax to succeed, they need to find that differentiation that will capture users' attention.
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

Smeggypants

Link Posted 06/10/2013 - 22:42
giofi wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:
Quote:

Smeggy,
My comment was in reply to a previous post talking about the K-3 being a Canikon beater.... Personally, I share your view, but for Pentax to succeed, they need to find that differentiation that will capture users' attention.

Oh don't get me wrong I hope pentax increase their market share.
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..

Don

Link Posted 06/10/2013 - 23:02
my belief is that the af switch related to contrast vs phase af for af during video shooting..
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

kh1234567890

Link Posted 06/10/2013 - 23:58
Don wrote:
my belief is that the af switch related to contrast vs phase af for af during video shooting..

Won't the mirror get in the way for phase focus video ?
Flickr Stream

robbiec

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 00:36
This is looking more and more like a worthy flagship and fantastic partner to the magical optics available in our system. Bit depressed that I can be in Watford on Wednesday now. Looks like they've taken on board most of the typical long standing Pentaxian's wishlist. Improved AF, better sensor, dual cards, better processing and all the while keeping probably the best sized and ergonomically laid out Dslr on the market.
My Gallery
[url=http://pentaxphotogallery.com/Robbie Corrigan]ppg[/url]

Smeggypants

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 00:58
robbiec wrote:
This is looking more and more like a worthy flagship and fantastic partner to the magical optics available in our system. Bit depressed that I can be in Watford on Wednesday now. Looks like they've taken on board most of the typical long standing Pentaxian's wishlist. Improved AF, better sensor, dual cards, better processing and all the while keeping probably the best sized and ergonomically laid out Dslr on the market.

No indication of this yet.

My fingers remain crossed though.

Don

Link Posted 07/10/2013 - 02:10
kh1234567890 wrote:
Don wrote:

Won't the mirror get in the way for phase focus video ?

live view?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.