Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Members on line

• Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Over aggressive thread
Blythman
Posted 04/07/2014 - 20:25 Link
Probably not the best audience to ask. There are members who would be better suited to discussing any photography questions you have
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Marat
Posted 04/07/2014 - 20:30 Link
Blythman wrote:
Probably not the best audience to ask. There are members who would be better suited to discussing any photography questions you have

Hi, I did think that but I noticed a lot of members have their own sites, or a staff member could explain, as it is a photographic site I want to start up.
Edited by Marat: 04/07/2014 - 20:30
Blythman
Posted 04/07/2014 - 20:34 Link
Marat wrote:
Blythman wrote:

Hi, I did think that but I noticed a lot of members have their own sites, or a staff member could explain, as it us a photographic site I want to start up.

Who do you plan on setting a site up with? Been thinking of it myself for a while. The slickness of displaying the content would be my over riding concern. I'm sure the likes of zenfolio, smugmug, wordpress, etc, etc all have options built in for recording visitors as part of the package in any case. So that should be way down on your list
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Edited by Blythman: 04/07/2014 - 20:34
johnriley
Posted 04/07/2014 - 20:34 Link
Yes David, I'm baffled too. I suggest everybody just tries to get along and let's have this thread cool down a little.

To answer your question Marat as best I can, the counter is exactly what it says. It shows the number of visits. Whether that's individual visits or discreet visitors I don't know, but people visit the site for more than the forum and also not everyone who visits actually posts something. It in some way measures traffic, just for our interest really.

My own forums also have meters that measure traffic, but I don't make them public. When you set up your website the means to measure these things will no doubt be part of the package.

Hope that helps.
Best regards, John
Marat
Posted 04/07/2014 - 20:48 Link
Cheers John, I took it as the one on here states members online so I thought that's what it meant, 836 total individual members on line, but what you are saying is that say one member visits 100 times that's recorded as that members traffic, so is recorded and added as 100,

I think that's where I got muddled and maybe the wording should be changed to total members visits? I don't know as this is all new to me.

Alan, I have a couple I am going to contact after the weekend as it's currently a holiday at the moment, they are ipage and justhost.com just because what I have seen they seem the most rated and offer full money back guarantee's.
davidstorm
Posted 04/07/2014 - 20:52 Link
I'm with Foliopic, they have a range of templates to choose from and the cost is reasonable. It's probably not the most sophisticated option out there, but it does work well, the website loads and performs quickly, so I have no complaints.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
fritzthedog
Posted 04/07/2014 - 20:56 Link
I just accidentally clicked on a different thread and found there were some members openly discussing photography - I nearly made a comment about DOF - phew - close call - got back here just in time.

Carl

...and no that was not a dig about the original question posed here or the sensible replies
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Edited by fritzthedog: 04/07/2014 - 21:02
Gwyn
Posted 04/07/2014 - 21:03 Link
Marart, most standard forum software includes a count of who is online, members, and guests. They don't show members who have chosen to remain hidden, but the Site Admin can still see that.
Do a search for forum templates and you will find plenty of easy to use set-ups out there. phpBB springs to mind - that is so easy even I managed to run a forum with it.

PU uses non standard software of their own making btw.
McGregNi
Posted 04/07/2014 - 21:26 Link
Gwyn wrote:
...PU uses non standard software of their own making btw.

One of the strengths here is the very clear layout and readable display of text, which neatly divides posts with the different grey shadings, and the quotes are well set off with white backgrounds. You can clearly see the avatars near the text, and there's good and common sense navigational links also.

I've tried a few other forums and they all suffer from similar ergonomic issues, which this one thankfully doesn't, that can make navigating around annoying and more effort than it should be. So you've chosen well marat, I hope you can take on board some of these good points for your own online developments. And if you're involved in any other forums you could even make suggestions there that they could adopt.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 04/07/2014 - 21:28
PentaxPrime
Posted 04/07/2014 - 21:55 Link
Hi Marat,

I think you will find that Google Analytics might be what you are looking for by way of analysing your site traffic. For somebody not wishing to go into scripting big time it offers excellent site information including hit rate, traffic flow through the site, where the hits are coming in from.....too much to list but it is very comprehensive and unlike a simple hit counter it will show unique visits.

It requires you to create an account that is, as I remember, free and will require you to embed supplied code to the head of each page. Not difficult and all is explained. After which you can login to your Google account at any time and get timely and accurate stats.

Give it a look, I'm sure it will be of interest.

Cheers and good luck.
Posted 04/07/2014 - 23:12 Link
Marat wrote:
I wonder if someone could help me understand the information below that's on the community page.

Records
The highest number of members online was 836 and it was achieved on the 2nd July 2014

I keep popping in just to see if anything has happened of interest, but still seems very quiet with very little being posted and that if anything is posted is of very little interest, apart from some really rather stunning photos. I also look at the members online page and that can be anything from a few to around 30 or 40

I cannot believe the statement:
Quote:
The highest number of members online was 836 and it was achieved on the 2nd July 2014

836 members online - that has got to be a manufactured or manipulated figure. What time of day was is? I don't think that will be an answer because that many were not on line at the same time.
死了嗎?有一個在油炸,素食豆腐的部分更多的生命!
Posted 04/07/2014 - 23:16 Link
Algernon wrote:
If your bored why don't you write to the local paper and complain
via their interesting local letters page

While your at it you could also put in a complaint about the bins
only being emptied every two weeks and another about cars parking
with two wheels on the pavement

I almost forget ..... also complain about the litter dropped in the
town centre by the yoof of today.

I assume that you already post to http://www.angrybritain.com/
------------The Online Home Of Fed-Up Brits

--

What a horrible posting. A real insult to someone who has been on the forum for just a few days.

Elsewhere, a comment such as this would result in sanctions against the poster.

Does this board have a facility for members who have been here for a certain time to request sanctions or removal or privileges?

If not, then at least an apology from the poster should be a minimum.
死了嗎?有一個在油炸,素食豆腐的部分更多的生命!
davidstorm
Posted 04/07/2014 - 23:18 Link
Special_Fried_Rice wrote:
I cannot believe the statement:
Quote:

836 members online - that has got to be a manufactured or manipulated figure. What time of day was is? I don't think that will be an answer because that many were not on line at the same time.

That may well be the case, but it doesn't disguise the fact that you are only on here to make trouble and we can all see through you.

Regards
David
Flickr

Posted 04/07/2014 - 23:28 Link
What has this thread got to do with Pentax photography ?
davidstorm
Posted 04/07/2014 - 23:34 Link
charlottef wrote:
What has this thread got to do with Pentax photography ?

Nothing whatsoever Charlotte and it is an illustration as to why this Forum is not working at present. Not only do we have people hell bent on destroying it (wrong) but we also have a recent history of massive own goals (excuse the World Cup pun) being scored by the site administrators and moderators in terms of the response to recent requests for change and criticism of the moderation / forum management approach.

I do not for one moment condone the actions of people like Special_Fried_Rice who is clearly on a mission to disrupt and divide, but this sort of attitude would not exist had things been managed better.

Unfortunately it looks as though photography is no longer the topic of choice.

Regards
David
Flickr