k7 v k20 for noise

simonkit

Link Posted 13/07/2009 - 23:00
Having just bought the K20D I've no intention of buying the K7 but like others I'm interested in how it stans up against the competition. I've also read quite a few reports on K20D performing better as high iso - I think we'll probably have to await the "official" test to be sure though.

When I bought the K20D a couple of weeks ago it was simply a case of considering how the extra "upgrades" on the K7 would help with my photography, I personally came to the conclusion that for my needs (landscapes) the K20D has the main requirements ...more detail from the 14MP sensor. The K7 pricing could be quite a hurdle for it gaining new non-pentax customers

simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link

pentaxian450

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 00:10
For myself, I don't go by which camera has "better noise". I just go with the fact that they are different. Problem solved. My full time job is printing, and I do enough "dot" peeping there without having to do it on every pictures I take.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

George Lazarette

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 09:10
scottthehat wrote:
are you speaking for everyone on the forum george.

I hope so. Pixel-peeping is not photography.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

scottthehat

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 10:27
George Lazarette wrote:
scottthehat wrote:

G

in whos eyes george, what do you class as a phtogorapher george,
some one the takes lots of photos and prints them(is this you)
just keep snapping,

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/scottbenson

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/scottthehat/

CAMERAS = k200d + battery grip.
nikon d300 + battery grip.
LENSES = tamron aspherical DII 18-200mm f3.5/6.3,
nikon 18-200mm afs vr f3.5/5.6 g dx
sigma 150-500mm apo dg hsm os
sigma 170-500mm apo dg
FLASH = samsung sef36pzf flash + more.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 11:22
scottthehat wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:
Quote:

G

in whos eyes george, what do you class as a phtogorapher george,
some one the takes lots of photos and prints them(is this you)

A photographer is someone who takes pictures, not pixels.

If you can't see a problem in the picture, what earthly use is it to look at the pixels?

There's far too much emphasis on this in my view. People would do much better to concentrate on their compositional skills. By all means, when you are ranked alongside HCB, have a peek. Until then, there are much more constructive uses of your time.

And if you don't know who HCB was, that's another more useful thing you could do - study the great masters.

G

PS: The lack of navel-gazing pixel-peepers is one of the nice things about this forum.

davex

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 11:33
Quote:
There's far too much emphasis on this in my view. People would do much better to concentrate on their compositional skills.

Totally agree, to quote Bresson;
Quote:
To take a photograph is to hold one’s breath when all faculties converge in a face of fleeing reality. It is at that moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy

The image will always include some "noise" but is this a problem?

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link

shim

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 11:36
Your contributing nothing to this thread George so the best thing to do would be stay out and let them get on with it.

Photography was invented by scientists and will only be advanced by scientists so stop talking nonsense and when you speak you speak only for yourself you should add the following to your sig....

"I say what I like and I like what I say"

shim

ttk

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 11:41
shim wrote:
Your contributing nothing to this thread George so the best thing to do would be stay out and let them get on with it.

Photography was invented by scientists and will only be advanced by scientists so stop talking nonsense and when you speak you speak only for yourself you should add the following to your sig....

shim

Ditto.
Tel,

scottthehat

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 11:46
shim wrote:

shim

well said shim, couldn't of put it better my self
just keep snapping,

sigma 170-500mm apo dg

George Lazarette

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 12:06
shim wrote:

shim

Shim,

We're a moderator now, are we?

Different forums have different strengths and weaknesses. A strength of this one is that people are generally more interested in photographs than technicalities. (There is a difference between techniques and technicalities). I personally would prefer not to see the forum fall into the hands of obsessives of the type that populate DPReview, and one or two others.

You, Shim, might be well advised to bone up on a few basics, like crop factors on digital lenses, where you seem to be somewhat confused; and on the best lenses for different types of photography, where your knowledge is also somewhat lacking.

Then YOU might be able to make a useful contribution.

G

George Lazarette

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 12:07
scottthehat wrote:

That's quite true.

G
Last Edited by George Lazarette on 14/07/2009 - 12:07

mikew

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 12:11
This is nearly as good as Prime Minister's Question Time

For the most I'm with George just take photographs and when the equipment is the limiting factor take action. I certainly haven't reached that point yet. My technique is still unreliable and my eye is nowhere near as good as I would wish.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

shim

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 12:24
Whatever.......

Noise is probably the biggest problem/defect in digital photography and needs to be vastly improved and nobody's going to do that with a paintbrush and artists easel.

shim

scottthehat

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 12:32
George Lazarette wrote:
scottthehat wrote:

That's quite true.

G

george you need to grow up or find your self another hobby,
i think all my 4 children dont chuck the dummy out the pram as much as you,
just keep snapping,

sigma 170-500mm apo dg

Mannesty

Link Posted 14/07/2009 - 12:37
shim wrote:
Noise is probably the biggest problem/defect in digital photography and needs to be vastly improved

What a load of bottox (intentional spelling adjustment out of respect for the female members). Did you get wonderful grain free images shooting ISO 6400 on film?

I'm quite happy with my results, I try and work within the limitations of the hardware as I understand them. I haven't exceeded my camera's capabilities yet.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 14/07/2009 - 12:38
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.