Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

K-5 Silver... Crashed

carmagw
Posted 24/05/2011 - 13:46 Link
The red light is activated when shooting with a remote, can be set with the drive mode button.

If it is flashing then you need to reset it, unless you are using a remote.

Regards
George
johnriley
Posted 24/05/2011 - 15:29 Link
Here's a far fetched one - you have the camera set to remote release and every time someone uses the TV remote, the camera fires....that would be a really hard to fathom fault.
Best regards, John
DoctorJeff
Posted 24/05/2011 - 17:47 Link
johnriley wrote:
Here's a far fetched one - you have the camera set to remote release and every time someone uses the TV remote, the camera fires....that would be a really hard to fathom fault.

I don't think that is so far-fetched, John.
Some years back, I went out into the street (carrying another make of camera) to get a shot of where someone had clipped mine while "unparking".
I switched the camera on and the car unlocked!
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...
Edited by DoctorJeff: 24/05/2011 - 17:47
Posted 24/05/2011 - 19:49 Link
It seems from the OP and the thread on the other forum one common item - the Firmware. I am still on V1.02 and I have not had this problem.

Seems that v1.03 might have a bug in it causing this problem.
Some Cameras
SMarsden
Posted 24/05/2011 - 20:27 Link
yes i know other people with Pentax cameras
they use them.. thus they are pentax users
My website
Flickr
Pentax Photo Gallery
"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong" Carl Sagan
SMarsden
Posted 24/05/2011 - 20:28 Link
johnriley wrote:

this is awesome...

im acutally going to try to opporate my camera using my TV remote
My website
Flickr
Pentax Photo Gallery
SMarsden
Posted 25/05/2011 - 17:02 Link
O.K. Team

I have finally cracked it...

If you have a silver K5, (as i do) then DO NOT get your firmware updates from the Japanese web page, get them from here

http://www.pentaximaging.com/images/temp/63435350867743461989942k5_e103w.exe

cut n paste this itno your web address bar it will auto download
My website
Flickr
Pentax Photo Gallery
Mike-P
Posted 25/05/2011 - 18:42 Link
So is that just a problem with that firmware and the silver K-5?

I thought they were identical.
Algernon
Posted 25/05/2011 - 18:58 Link
Mines the standard model, but I don't remember what site I downloaded version 1.03 from...... and my Toaster keeps popping up when the breads nowhere near toasted!
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Anvh
Posted 25/05/2011 - 19:46 Link
Mike-P wrote:

no... the silver one is sprinkled with fairy dust just like the silver Fa limited lens.
I wonder if they also did that with the silver ones of the DA...
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
pgweber
Posted 25/05/2011 - 20:04 Link
SMarsden wrote:
johnriley wrote:

this is awesome...

im acutally going to try to opporate my camera using my TV remote

Not as far fetched as you think...

I thought somebody HAD discovered a couple of years ago that a Pentax DSLR could be fired using TV remotes from certain manufacturers (it might have been the k10d & Sony IIRC).
Peter

Pentax K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, 55-300 Mk1, 35 f/2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f/1.4, M 50 f/1.7
Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm
pgweber
Posted 25/05/2011 - 20:18 Link
Peter

Pentax K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, 55-300 Mk1, 35 f/2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f/1.4, M 50 f/1.7
Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm
gartmore
Posted 26/05/2011 - 08:39 Link
I worked in an office at the BBC where they put in PIRs to switch off the lights if no one was in; sitting quietly at your desk you were plunged into darkness. The solution was to replace the PIRs with infra-red remote controls to control the lights, they were on the same wavelength as the TV remotes!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
SMarsden
Posted 26/05/2011 - 17:40 Link
Mike-P wrote:

Differences with standard K-5 version:

1. This special-edition model is finished in a silver color scheme, a design feature requested by many devoted users. The silver tone is meticulously matched with the silver color finish of the high-performance PENTAX FA-Limited interchangeable lens series, and that of the special-edition DA-Limited Silver-series lenses scheduled to be launched in April 2011. The camera’s mode dial, control buttons and levers are all in an elegant silver color. In addition, the “SR” (Shake Reduction) badge placed at the bottom of the front panel is originally designed, with silver ”S” and “R” letters set against a jet-black background. Meticulous attention has been given even to the packaging, which is designed exclusively for this model.

2. In order to improve holding comfort and assure more stable handling of the camera, this special-edition model comes with an exclusively designed grip, which is thicker than that of the standard K-5 model.

3. Shock-resistant, scratch-proof reinforced glass has been used to protect the LCD monitor on the camera’s back panel and the status panel on the top panel, further enhancing the camera’s reliability and durability in demanding shooting conditions and assuring worry-free shooting.

4. The firmware installed in the camera has been upgraded to the latest version (Ver. 1.02). Compatible with large-capacity SDXC memory cards, this firmware has been designed to increase the number of images that can be recorded in RAW-format shooting and during continuous shooting using high-sensitivity settings.

Also on the Pentax Web site there is a different link for downloading the firmware for the silver and standard models
My website
Flickr
Pentax Photo Gallery
Mike-P
Posted 26/05/2011 - 17:58 Link
So purely cosmetic, nothing to warrant a different firmware from what I can see.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.