"K" series lenses

womble

Link Posted 30/01/2010 - 23:35
axl wrote:

Bought 31ltd in January 09 when Jessops stupidly decided to discontinue Pentax. My local branch made sale on Pentax stuff and I got brand new shiny silver 31 for pretty unbelievable £342.50

Blimey, I missed out there. A real bargain!

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Dangermouse

Link Posted 04/02/2010 - 19:26
I just managed to bag a K 85-210mm f4.5, looks mint in the photos and has original case!

Hope it's as good as it looks, will post photos and sample images when it turns up.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Dobson

Link Posted 05/02/2010 - 10:58
Thanks for the good news, I have a bunch of Pentax K lenses that I use on my LX and K1000.
I have never doubted Pentax, although I have the impression that Pentax name is not included among the elite.
Even my eye glasses are Pentax plus my DSLR lenses and I have had no regrets.
So perhaps I have had an investment without knowing it, my wife will be pleased.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 05/02/2010 - 11:27
Bear in mind that we're talking about the original K series lenses here (although Pentax have made very few bad lenses at any stage of their history). They weren't officially known as the K series but as they were the first to feature the K mount the name has stuck in enthusiast circles. Generally they're badged "SMC Pentax" followed by the focal length and aperture - if there's a -M or -A in there it's a later lens.

Just taken a photo of my K 55mm, which has the standard lettering for one of these lenses. Illumination was helped by using a hand-held torch during the 1 second exposure, hence the slight shine but it's usable:

Matt

Dangermouse

Link Posted 24/02/2010 - 13:31
Related to K series so I'll post it here - does anyone know how to interpret Pentax serial numbers?

I'd quite like to work out when my K series lenses were made (more precisely than 1975-77), obviously lower serial numbers are older but I know some companies do things like assigning a particular first digit to certain products.
Matt

johnriley

Link Posted 24/02/2010 - 15:55
As serial numbers were mixed up between lenses of different focal length and never were continuous anyway, it seems the age is very well concealed. Even the total numbers made remain a mystery in most cases.
Best regards, John

Dangermouse

Link Posted 24/02/2010 - 16:43
Thanks John, doesn't look like I'll be able to find out then!

I get the impression that the K series bodies outlived the lenses, certainly my Dad's K2 (bought new in 1978/79) came with an M 50mm f1.7 lens, my K1000 (similar vintage judging by lettering) had a 50mm f2 attached when I bought it used in the mid 1990s which I'd guess to have been the original kit lens. Could it be that unsold K series bodies were sent out as kits with the later lenses in an effort to clear the decks for the M series?
Matt

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.