"K" series lenses


Malo1961

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 16:33
There is a thread on PentaxForums.com. called The Takumar club.

IMO the main reason the prices of M42 rocketed sky high. 230 pages
of excellent examples of Takumar quality. Remember.......they offer still a relative cheap alternative to produce outstanding quality pictures.
Plus....a lot of Takumar glass has a certain 3D IQ what is not possible to achieve with modern lenses.(how good the latter may be.)
The last being subjective obviously...., but apparently a lot of the users share the same opinion.

K lenses carry a lot of the Takumar genes, except the bayonet.
Best regards,

Martin.


Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 16:48
I also suspect that M42 lenses go for higher prices due to the fact that adapters exist to use them on pretty much every DSLR out there!

Still looking for an SMC Tak 55mm f1.8 to go with my ES II, but not particularly hard as I object to paying £30+ for a lens to use on a camera I only paid £10 for...

Talking of K series, here's a shot I took today with my 55mm while attempting to master manual mode. I tend to find that my K-m's metering can be a bit odd in manual with pre-A series lenses, even with stop down metering it took a bit of trial and error to get this shot. The camera, left to its own devices, seemed to underexpose considerably but functions perfectly in Av mode. Obviously for this shot I wanted the greater depth of field at f22, so had to fiddle about a bit.




It's a mostly-finished OO scale model of a 1960s EMU, another three coaches are in various stages of completion.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

womble

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 20:22
Slightly bizarre metering is a well-known downside of using pre-A series glass on the K10/K20 (and I am guessing the K7?). I use the green button to get a rough idea and then adjust the exposure according to the histogram. Not much use for anything that moves, I know, but works well for static subjects.

I've never really understood why this cannot be sorted out or why we cannot have a non-"crippled" mount apart from the cost (which I doubt would really add much to the overall cost --- after all they have had a non-crippled version for 30 years!). All this faffing about "enabling use of aperture ring" in the menu and pushing green buttons when my LX/ME Super could do all that quite happily thank you very much (and get it right).

I suppose I should just be glad I can use my old glass and that Pentax didn't just abandon the K mount for something else entirely.

Cheers, K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

axl

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 22:08
womble wrote:
Slightly bizarre metering is a well-known downside of using pre-A series glass on the K10/K20 (and I am guessing the K7?). I use the green button to get a rough idea and then adjust the exposure according to the histogram. Not much use for anything that moves, I know, but works well for static subjects.

I've never really understood why this cannot be sorted out or why we cannot have a non-"crippled" mount apart from the cost (which I doubt would really add much to the overall cost --- after all they have had a non-crippled version for 30 years!). All this faffing about "enabling use of aperture ring" in the menu and pushing green buttons when my LX/ME Super could do all that quite happily thank you very much (and get it right).

I suppose I should just be glad I can use my old glass and that Pentax didn't just abandon the K mount for something else entirely.

Cheers, K.

As fas as I know, it's all caused by focusing screen. The original screen coming with Kx0D series is just plain bad for pre A lenses. It overexposes on wide f stops, gets it just about right around f4-5.6 and then starts underexposing. Apparently K7 fares better but still not as good as *istD. Many users noted that if one uses modified screen from *istD in K10/20D the metering improves drastically. I swapped my stock screen for K3 screen (Nikon made cut to size) from focusingscreen.com and I find the metering much more reliable even on any f stop.

my2p
my PBase --- PPG
K-7 + O-ME53, K-x blue, AF280T, AF240Z, AF160SA
SMC: FA*24 - FA31ltd - DA*55 - FA100/2.8

JonSchick

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 22:09
Actually one advantage of the K-7 (or at least my K-7) is that it does appear to meter better than previous Pentax dSLRs with the legacy lenses. I find that I rarely need to dial in compensation now, unless you would expect to with any lens.

I think the issue is partly to do with the focussing screen in the earlier bodies,and people found that by replacing it with an earlier screen from the original istD bodies, the metering improved considerably. I never tried this but perhaps others who did could comment?

axl

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 22:12
Dangermouse wrote:
I also suspect that M42 lenses go for higher prices due to the fact that adapters exist to use them on pretty much every DSLR out there!

Still looking for an SMC Tak 55mm f1.8 to go with my ES II, but not particularly hard as I object to paying £30+ for a lens to use on a camera I only paid £10 for...
...snip....

heh, good one.
I suppose it's going to be hard to find one under £30. In London they go usually for around £40-45. I was in one shop where guy was trying to sell me K55/1.8 for £120 and considered it great deal on my part. I just walked out and week later got one from Ireland in great condition for £59 shipped
my PBase --- PPG
K-7 + O-ME53, K-x blue, AF280T, AF240Z, AF160SA
SMC: FA*24 - FA31ltd - DA*55 - FA100/2.8

womble

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 22:53
Somewhat off topic but... does anyone know if the metering improves if one uses a katzeye screen? I have been considering one for a while now. I know that it can mess up the spot metering but I rarely use that anyway.

Thanks, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

womble

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 22:55
axl wrote:
heh, good one.
I suppose it's going to be hard to find one under £30. In London they go usually for around £40-45. I was in one shop where guy was trying to sell me K55/1.8 for £120 and considered it great deal on my part. I just walked out and week later got one from Ireland in great condition for £59 shipped

One of the shops on Tottenham Court Road has quite a bit of second hand gear but mostly twice as much as one can get it on ebay. Ebay may not be a source of stunning bargains any more but at least the market can find its own level. The shop in St Albans has much more reasonable prices for its second hand gear.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

iceblinker

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 22:59
womble wrote:
Somewhat off topic but... does anyone know if the metering improves if one uses a katzeye screen?

No, it doesn't improve.
~Pete

axl

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 23:00
womble wrote:


One of the shops on Tottenham Court Road has quite a bit of second hand gear but mostly twice as much as one can get it on ebay. Ebay may not be a source of stunning bargains any more but at least the market can find its own level. The shop in St Albans has much more reasonable prices for its second hand gear.

K.

The one I was in is bit further up on the road in Camden. Incredible prices, bad thing is though, that the guy has in stock just about anything you can think of...
There are actually two shops on TCR with used stuff, Kingsley is selling it all on comission and that's why their prices are higher, but you still can get some good deals there. I find that SRS in watford has the best prices in London (most of the time) and very good team to deal with. Does the shop in St. Albans have web page? If so could you provide me link? Thanks
my PBase --- PPG
K-7 + O-ME53, K-x blue, AF280T, AF240Z, AF160SA
SMC: FA*24 - FA31ltd - DA*55 - FA100/2.8
Last Edited by axl on 25/01/2010 - 23:04

womble

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 23:01
Shame
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

axl

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 23:04
womble wrote:
Somewhat off topic but... does anyone know if the metering improves if one uses a katzeye screen? I have been considering one for a while now. I know that it can mess up the spot metering but I rarely use that anyway.

Thanks, Kris.

You should try the one I have.
Many happy campers with it, only downside is that it doesn't keep it's brightness in poorly lit conditions unlike Katzeye.
Anyway, I've read that katzeye definitely doesn't make the metering worse and the CW metering should work OK
my PBase --- PPG
K-7 + O-ME53, K-x blue, AF280T, AF240Z, AF160SA
SMC: FA*24 - FA31ltd - DA*55 - FA100/2.8

Dangermouse

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 23:12
It is odd though. Exposure is spot on if I set the camera to Av and ignore the aperture control on the lens, this goes for all pre-A series.

My K 55mm f1.8 must have been the bargain of the year then - £8.50 on ebay, nothing whatsoever wrong with it apart from a small amount of dust!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

womble

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 23:13
The St Albans shop is called Clarks Camera Centre Ltd but they don't seem to have a website. I tend to stand and stare through their window when doing my shopping on a Saturday afternoon.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

womble

Link Posted 25/01/2010 - 23:15
Dangermouse wrote:
My K 55mm f1.8 must have been the bargain of the year then - £8.50 on ebay, nothing whatsoever wrong with it apart from a small amount of dust!

Yup, very much a bargain. I have one of those and didn't even realise. It came with my 2005 round of ME Super purchases when I was actually after a set of bodies and wasn't too fussed about the lenses.

K
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.