will the lens fit.

cono

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 12:48
Hi all, i am a novice at this and was thinking of upgrading to a digital camera. I currently have an under used MZ6. The lenses are Pentax 28-80mm and a Tamron 70-300mm 1:4-6LD tele(1.2). Would these lenses fit any digital cameras or would i be better of starting afresh. If i need to start afresh any advise on a suitable starter camera would be appreciated.

iceblinker

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 12:54
Those lenses will fit all the Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs and they will be useful to some extent.

However, I would advise getting at least one more lens as well if you want wide angle. A Pentax 18-55mm is ok to start with, and you may get one packaged cheaply with the camera.

A 28mm lens on Pentax digital provides the same field of view as 42mm on film. You need to divide everything by 1.5 to get the same view on digital.
~Pete

Helpful

iceblinker

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 12:56
Just to explain the above: the difference in field of view is due to the difference between the size of the digital sensor compared to a frame of 35mm film. It's 1.5 times smaller.
~Pete

Helpful

Anvh

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 12:59
All lenses that fit your MZ6 will fit onto digital, pentax is still using the K-mount but it's a crippled with some lenses, as long as it has auto-aperture it will work without any problems.

However for 10 pounds more you can most often get the 18-55mm kit lens with your camera, this would be a better lens then your 28-80 and the 18-55mm would give you the same view as the 28-80 give you now.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Helpful

fatspider

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 13:24
Ditto to all the other advice, buy the new DSLR bundled with a kit lens such as the 18-55 and keep the other two, then you'll have focal lengths to cover virtually everything.

Any Pentax DSLR would suit your needs and will be easy to fathom coming from the MZ6, reccomending one will depend on your budget and if you want to buy new or used.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Helpful

cono

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 13:38
Thanks, thats all really helpful. So now what dslr should i go for, i would like to keep with pentax so any advise for a camera on a small bubget, i just want that little bit more that a digital camera but not to much tech.

Thanks.

robbie_d

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 13:42
cono wrote:
Thanks, thats all really helpful. So now what dslr should i go for, i would like to keep with pentax so any advise for a camera on a small bubget, i just want that little bit more that a digital camera but not to much tech.

Thanks.

I've loved every minute of my K-m.

Out of production now, but stock is still available from many retailers.

Best bet on a small budget I reckon.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

iceblinker

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 13:59
K-m is a good idea if buying new. Or even the K-x if you can afford it.

If you don't mind second-hand, any of the older models should be enjoyable, and all are capable of excellent image quality. The earliest models have relatively low resolution, though, and no Shake Reduction. Check the specs of any model you're considering.

The K10D and K20D don't have "Scene" modes (such as Portrait and Landscape), but this is no problem if you are, or can get, experienced with the semi-auto modes such as aperture priority (Av). These two models have particularly good viewfinders and controls.
~Pete

Dangermouse

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 14:07
I still think dropping the K-m was a huge mistake by Pentax, as they've yet to offer a genuine replacement. The K-x is a lot more expensive.

A K-m with a kit lens can be as easy or as complex to use as you like. Use it in green mode for quick snaps (which will come out very well), or semi-auto modes for more advanced shots.

By the way, the DA L lens supplied in the kit doesn't come with a lens hood. Look here for one that's a perfect fit at a fraction of the price of an official one.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Anvh

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 15:28
Dangermouse wrote:
I still think dropping the K-m was a huge mistake by Pentax, as they've yet to offer a genuine replacement. The K-x is a lot more expensive.

Most likely they had to drop it since the Sony sensor they used was already 4 years old and most liekely outdated and no longer in production.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 22/02/2010 - 15:29

robbie_d

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 16:29
Anvh wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:

Most likely they had to drop it since the Sony sensor they used was already 4 years old and most liekely outdated and no longer in production.

The sensor no longer being in production could have been the reason, but I struggle to understand your logic in it being 'outdated'. There are many people getting fantastic shots out of sensors 4+ years old, and as we all know it's the composition that really makes a great photograph.

I might be biased as I own one, but the K-m is a cracking piece of kit. For the money I don't think it could be beaten (if it could, I wouldn't have one), and I think there is a gaping hole in the line-up without it. I would argue that your entry level offering is the most important as it attracts the people with no prior allegiance to an SLR brand (or less of one), and allows you to get in early and cultivate an allegiance.

To attract DSLR newcomers I think you need to have a genuine entry level (i.e £300ish with a kit lens) offering. Not only do you shift units of that particular camera, but you get people buying into the system, which makes the upgrade decision a much easier one (K-x or K7), due to the investment people make in lenses.

I still don't think the K-x is a genuine entry-level offering, it is in all likelihood a little too good for that, which means that those people looking at their first DSLR are more likely to opt for a Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus, and once they have done that, the chance of converting them to Pentax is slim at best.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 16:49
Dangermouse wrote:

I couldn't agree more but hope I'm wrong ( I have no experience in marketing). People often buy cameras by entering a system at a low level; enticed by a low initial price they buy into a system then get itchy feet as they look at the next model up, then the next...

Pentax always had this possibility right from the days of film. How many folk bought the K1000 to use at college or as their first SLR then went on to more sophisticated cameras.

Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sony all have cheap(ish) c.£300.00 models to hook a first time buyer. These entry level camers (like base car models) probably cost almost as much to make as a complex one but they are important "lost leaders".

As you say, there's a big jump to the K-x which is really a middle ranking camera. By the time buyers are ready for one of those they may already own another brand with a couple of lenses, so...

As I say: Hope I'm wrong.

Regards,

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Anvh

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 17:29
robbie_d wrote:
Anvh wrote:
Quote:

The sensor no longer being in production could have been the reason, but I struggle to understand your logic in it being 'outdated'. There are many people getting fantastic shots out of sensors 4+ years old, and as we all know it's the composition that really makes a great photograph.

With outdated I mean that the sensor is no longer in use except for the K-M at the time and I don't think Sony would keep the line open just for that.
I agree it's a great sensor, one of the reasons why I still use the K10D since it's super at lower ISO levels and that's where the CMOS sensor struggles.
It's not for nothing all MF cameras use CCD instead of CMOS.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

womble

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 18:55
We have gone a bit off topic here!

My recommendation would be to buy a second hand K10D. If you are used to using your MZ6 in Av/Tv etc. modes and won't miss all the "Paction" type modes, the K10D has the advantage of dual control wheels which is an excellent feature, of not being too long in the tooth and having the 10 megapixel sensor.

I was very happy with my K10D and only upgraded to the K20D to get the multiple lens focus correction feature.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Helpful

Hardgravity

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 19:50
I agree with Kris, a good used K10 or K20 will fill the MZ-6 slot nicely, making full use of the lenses you already have.

I might have missed what budget you're on but if it's good enough there are still new K20s out here at good prices.

Oh, and don't be put off by the modern kit lens, it's not a bad performer and makes a good walk about for city breaks.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.