"K" series lenses

womble

Link Posted 27/01/2010 - 22:40
I don't have "Cecchi" but the AOHC website that I checked doesn't list one.

Curious...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

womble

Link Posted 27/01/2010 - 22:42
Now completely OT but have you seen the prices Gerjan van Oosten's The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952 - 1977 goes for second hand?
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Reuben0

Link Posted 27/01/2010 - 22:51
I've just checked the "Ultimate Screw Mount Guide" and there's no 50/1.8 listed. I've never seen one either...

Kris, I was shocked when I saw how much the "Ultimate Screw Mount Guide" goes for these days

Unfortunately, my copy's well thumbed - I wish I'd been more careful with it now!

R

womble

Link Posted 27/01/2010 - 23:17
I'll be wotsited if I pay more for a book about the screw mount series than I'd pay for a 85mm/f1.8(9)

K
Kris Lockyear

My website

Dangermouse

Link Posted 27/01/2010 - 23:50
From what I understand the 55mm was offered as a cheaper alternative to the 50mm in kits. Certainly this would fit - if you look at the K series 50mm they offered f1.4 and f1.2 IIRC, so a 55mm f1.8 would have been a mid-range alternative with the f2 as the base spec.

I'm also given to understand that the only difference between the f1.8 and f2 versions was a different aperture ring to allow you to select the wider aperture.

They can't have been sold with the K series bodies for very long. My Dad has a K2 that he bought in 1978/79 and it came with an M 50mm f1.7 from new.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

johnriley

Link Posted 28/01/2010 - 00:03
The Takumar and SMC Pentax 50mm lenses were offered as follows;

The original Spotmatic lenses were either the 50mm f1.4 or the 55mm f1.8 and these were also available in bayonet versions for the K series cameras.

The 55mm f2 was a screw thread lens for the budget SP1000 but it was actually an f1.8 with a baffle inside to reduce the aperture. Obviously a different aperture ring would also be needed.

There was also a 55mm f2 for the K1000, the bayonet version.
Best regards, John

axl

Link Posted 28/01/2010 - 08:13
womble wrote:
I'll be wotsited if I pay more for a book about the screw mount series than I'd pay for a 85mm/f1.8(9)

K

Kris,

I believe there is one Tak 85/1.9 for sale up in Scotland.
Price 199GPB fixed. Apparently reputable dealer (I didn't buy anything from them but I was asking around).
Interested?
my PBase --- PPG
K-7 + O-ME53, K-x blue, AF280T, AF240Z, AF160SA
SMC: FA*24 - FA31ltd - DA*55 - FA100/2.8

womble

Link Posted 28/01/2010 - 09:41
Thanks for letting me know, but sadly 'not this month'. Just spent a fair bit on one or two other things and I have a flight to NY to pay for The Jupiter-9 will do for now.

Thanks anyway, K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

TOZZA27

Link Posted 28/01/2010 - 13:35
I have risked the wrath of my lady and been up in the loft for a root about - checked all 9 back lens brochures by Pentax and can confirm no 50mm 1.8 !!!!!!!
I most umbly apologise for my error and will write to Danilo Cecchi and tell him.
As for Camera Warehouse,Kenley,Surrey taking advantage of a newbie Pentaxian - they probably aint there no more - oh well !

Thanks for putting me straight guys - oh and I`ve emailed my daughter to see which lens she has on her ES.
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

bladerunneruk

Link Posted 29/01/2010 - 12:09
womble wrote:
As many of you know I keep an eye on ebay sales (although not so assiduously as I used to, especially since ebay made it difficult to save images). Two things I have noticed. The first, which many people have commented on, is how the prices of old manual glass has gone up over the last year and half, particularly in the last six months or so. A SMC Takumar 85mm f/1.8 went for £340 today. I know this is one of those cult-status lenses but it still seems pricey. In comparison, the FA 77mm Ltd is going for £750 new, and that lens has an equal cult status I would have thought.

My second observation is the the original k-mount lenses (often called the "K" series lenses) are going for more, on the whole, than the slightly later M-series lenses. In one or two cases I know why (for example the 135mm f/2.5 compared to the M 135mm f/3.5) but it seems to be the case with other lenses too.

My question is: are the K-series lenses actually better than the M-series (despite being, on the whole, heavier and bigger) or is there a developing urban myth that they are which is driving up prices?

Best wishes, Kris.

Hi Kris, I think the used lens market has picked up quite a bit over the past year because of the recession, used is cheaper than new and the autofocus lenses went up in price quite a bit, so I think people have decided / had to downsize their lens budgets, so demand has gone up for the cheaper items, hence prices have gone up ?

I would guess use AF lenses have gone up in price too, but I don't keep track of them much now so can't comment on that.

cheers

Richard

axl

Link Posted 29/01/2010 - 20:05
bladerunneruk wrote:
womble wrote:
As many of you know I keep an eye on ebay sales (although not so assiduously as I used to, especially since ebay made it difficult to save images). Two things I have noticed. The first, which many people have commented on, is how the prices of old manual glass has gone up over the last year and half, particularly in the last six months or so. A SMC Takumar 85mm f/1.8 went for £340 today. I know this is one of those cult-status lenses but it still seems pricey. In comparison, the FA 77mm Ltd is going for £750 new, and that lens has an equal cult status I would have thought.

My second observation is the the original k-mount lenses (often called the "K" series lenses) are going for more, on the whole, than the slightly later M-series lenses. In one or two cases I know why (for example the 135mm f/2.5 compared to the M 135mm f/3.5) but it seems to be the case with other lenses too.

My question is: are the K-series lenses actually better than the M-series (despite being, on the whole, heavier and bigger) or is there a developing urban myth that they are which is driving up prices?

Best wishes, Kris.

Hi Kris, I think the used lens market has picked up quite a bit over the past year because of the recession, used is cheaper than new and the autofocus lenses went up in price quite a bit, so I think people have decided / had to downsize their lens budgets, so demand has gone up for the cheaper items, hence prices have gone up ?

I would guess use AF lenses have gone up in price too, but I don't keep track of them much now so can't comment on that.

cheers

Richard

quite a bit I think.
for example used FA50/1.4 will cost you around £225-£275 in London,
F50/1.7 routinely goes for between £100-125.
Now if I remember correctly, you could get new FA50/1.4 for £145 just 1.5 years ago or so...
my PBase --- PPG

bladerunneruk

Link Posted 30/01/2010 - 17:17
axl wrote:

quite a bit I think.
for example used FA50/1.4 will cost you around £225-£275 in London,
F50/1.7 routinely goes for between £100-125.
Now if I remember correctly, you could get new FA50/1.4 for £145 just 1.5 years ago or so...

wrt FA50/1.4 yep £150 was the lowest price I saw, at a time when exchanges rates were v.good for the pound, absolute bargain, still kicking myself for not getting one or some of the Ltds ! Still I'm not short of a lens or two now so shouldn't grumble

SteveA

Link Posted 30/01/2010 - 18:08
People forget that the reason why a lot of the 'old' lenses were dicontinued (in UK anyway) was the amount of unrecyclable solder used in their manufacture - not that they were no good. So they are dicovering a new lease of life with the digital age, especially the SMC lenses.

I bought my 80-320 direct from SRS, as bidding for them on E-Bay went slightly crazy last year.

I am still in search for FA 50 1.4 in any charity shop, Lol.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 30/01/2010 - 19:18
The concept of "recycling" is barmy where lenses are concerned. The original K series could quite easily have been used by three generations of the same family, provided that they're looked after they'll work for as long as you can find a camera to mount them on. I fully expect my K 55mm to be baffling teenagers with its lack of auto anything in the 2050s!

Mind you, I've never liked recycling full stop. I'd rather products that can be repaired easily or reused, rather than having to be sent back through the system.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

axl

Link Posted 30/01/2010 - 20:06
bladerunneruk wrote:

wrt FA50/1.4 yep £150 was the lowest price I saw, at a time when exchanges rates were v.good for the pound, absolute bargain, still kicking myself for not getting one or some of the Ltds ! Still I'm not short of a lens or two now so shouldn't grumble

I feel the same about lenses.
I have to say I got lucky with my ltds.
Bought 31ltd in January 09 when Jessops stupidly decided to discontinue Pentax. My local branch made sale on Pentax stuff and I got brand new shiny silver 31 for pretty unbelievable £342.5 . Then now, in January '10 I found good deal on used silver 43ltd for £300, couldn't say no...
I can't wait for January '11 to see it I'll complete the trio
In mean time, K85/1.8 wouldn't go amiss

BR
Peter
my PBase --- PPG
Last Edited by axl on 30/01/2010 - 20:07
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.