Jessops in trouble?
- Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. New thread on continuing subject opened
Posted 09/01/2013 - 14:38
Link
Three Jessops stores in Oxford (pop 180,000), all identical and not a Pentax in sight (almost exclusively Canikon and Sony). One store with a wide range of camera manufacturers might have been more successful.
Small wonder that this once fantastic company are now in trouble.
Small wonder that this once fantastic company are now in trouble.
Posted 09/01/2013 - 14:43
Link
Another one going down the pan then
Always be kind to people
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059
link
Posted 09/01/2013 - 15:11
Link
Jessops leaving the high street would be a huge, huge shame. I just think they have too many shops with too many staff in too many high streets. If I was in charge, I would retain a few of the larger 'flagship' stores in strategic regional locations, and take the rest of the business online.
Posted 09/01/2013 - 15:50
Link
Times are a changin. Instead of a Jessops on every major high street there is now an Apple franchise. Shitty for the staff as they try hard, I think the chain itself has lost a lot of face in the serious amateur community rather than the staff.
I wonder though, I should imagine that this will hurt Canon and Nikon a lot more than Pentax. Much more stock exposure. Jessops lists Pentax on its website but I never see any stock in store.
I wonder though, I should imagine that this will hurt Canon and Nikon a lot more than Pentax. Much more stock exposure. Jessops lists Pentax on its website but I never see any stock in store.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Posted 09/01/2013 - 15:59
Link
Jessops Cambridge has stocked Pentax for quite a while now. It does not help when smartphones are largely replacing P&S cameras. I think Pentaxophile's comments are spot; perhaps that is what might come out of this.
Dave
Dave
Posted 09/01/2013 - 16:03
Link
I only chose to become a Pentax user because of Jessops! I think I got the last K7 they had in the Croydon shop and there's not been any more seen since. It was only because the camera was there to hold and try out that my mind was made up so quickly - I knew nothing of Pentax DSLRs before that, only that Pentax was a good long standing camera name.
I would never have chosen the Pentax on Amazon on written specs alone, although for the price these would have still have lept out at me. Too many people trying out cameras in the shops then buying online no doubt plays a part in this.
But now as a Pentax owner I have stopped going in to the numerous Jessops I pass regularly - its just dispiriting.
I would never have chosen the Pentax on Amazon on written specs alone, although for the price these would have still have lept out at me. Too many people trying out cameras in the shops then buying online no doubt plays a part in this.
But now as a Pentax owner I have stopped going in to the numerous Jessops I pass regularly - its just dispiriting.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 09/01/2013 - 16:07
Link
Our Chesterfield Jessop's refuses to admit Pentax exist. The rot set in when they stopped selling second hand and put touch screen photo machines in.
Our local Chemist Dents were a Pentax dealer but they blamed poor quality of compacts having to be returned for packing in. All they sell are wedding photography (terrible example albums), bags, photo frames and more processing.
Our LCE have had the X5 and seen their first Pentax rep for years. Still no DSLRs though.
Our Currys/PC World is a bigger joke than Dixons was when on our High St. No Pentax cameras currently. When they had a KR I asked when the new K30 would be in stock. 'When we sell this one' was the reply!!!
We have no other camera shops unless you count our Thursday Flea Market.
Our local Chemist Dents were a Pentax dealer but they blamed poor quality of compacts having to be returned for packing in. All they sell are wedding photography (terrible example albums), bags, photo frames and more processing.
Our LCE have had the X5 and seen their first Pentax rep for years. Still no DSLRs though.
Our Currys/PC World is a bigger joke than Dixons was when on our High St. No Pentax cameras currently. When they had a KR I asked when the new K30 would be in stock. 'When we sell this one' was the reply!!!
We have no other camera shops unless you count our Thursday Flea Market.
Posted 09/01/2013 - 16:15
Link
Thay have gone into administration.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!
Posted 09/01/2013 - 16:47
Link
Good riddance to them!
apart from one or two branches, Leicester being one of them, they're useless.
THEY GOT TOO GREEDY, BOUGHT UP EVERY OTHER CAMERA SHOP IN THE HIGH STREET AND ARE NOW PAYING THE PRICE.
I for one will NOT miss them.
apart from one or two branches, Leicester being one of them, they're useless.
THEY GOT TOO GREEDY, BOUGHT UP EVERY OTHER CAMERA SHOP IN THE HIGH STREET AND ARE NOW PAYING THE PRICE.
I for one will NOT miss them.
Regards,
Michael
Michael
Posted 09/01/2013 - 16:51
Link
I think its a shame and one less outlet for me to shop at
All the best
David
David
Posted 09/01/2013 - 16:57
Link
michaelblue wrote:
Good riddance to them!
apart from one or two branches, Leicester being one of them, they're useless.
THEY GOT TOO GREEDY, BOUGHT UP EVERY OTHER CAMERA SHOP IN THE HIGH STREET AND ARE NOW PAYING THE PRICE.
I for one will NOT miss them.
Dont you feel any sympathy for the staff who will lose their jobs?
Good riddance to them!
apart from one or two branches, Leicester being one of them, they're useless.
THEY GOT TOO GREEDY, BOUGHT UP EVERY OTHER CAMERA SHOP IN THE HIGH STREET AND ARE NOW PAYING THE PRICE.
I for one will NOT miss them.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 09/01/2013 - 17:12
Link
Yep, looks like Jessops is going too. Hardly surprising given that they had no more knowledge of cameras than the staff in Tesco yet demand premium prices.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses


1057 posts
15 years
Glossop,
UK
link
Some of my vaguely better stuff