Jessops fall out with pentax

George Lazarette

Link Posted 14/04/2012 - 15:30
Mike-P wrote:
They haven't come into the forum .. a member of the (outsourced) media agency has come onto the forum.

As to whether she stays is another matter.

It is very common for large companies to use agents for PR, and since Nicola Littlewood is Pentax's authorised agent, she speaks for Pentax just as much as a direct employee would.

There is no advantage to her or Pentax to provide inaccurate information. She was clearly told by Pentax that Jessops had agreed to stock the full Pentax line, and was unaware that they didn't.

It's a pity she wasn't greeted more warmly. With such a reception, it would not be surprising if she decided never to return. And that would be a shame.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

gartmore

Link Posted 14/04/2012 - 15:35
I, too, am disappointed with the response to Nicola's more than welcome post.

It is to be welcomed that Pentax have shown an interest here and I, for one, would hope that a this informal relationship will prove to be a fruitful one.

It may well be, of course, that Pentax have always monitored sites like this in a discrete, polite and well-mannered Japanese way.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

George Lazarette

Link Posted 14/04/2012 - 16:00
gartmore wrote:

It may well be, of course, that Pentax have always monitored sites like this in a discrete, polite and well-mannered Japanese way.

They must have been appalled at what they found!

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

japers45

Link Posted 14/04/2012 - 16:02
gartmore wrote:

I think that is how Olympus operate too

Mike-P

Link Posted 14/04/2012 - 16:04
japers45 wrote:
gartmore wrote:

I think that is how Olympus operate too

Well they were discrete ... for a few years anyway.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Shaky

Link Posted 15/04/2012 - 10:05
gartmore wrote:
It is to be welcomed that Pentax have shown an interest here and I, for one, would hope that a this informal relationship will prove to be a fruitful one.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Ken? Coasters, mugs, novelty pens, maybe even a - gasp - penknife?

I say this: Welcome Nicola--Let it henceforth be a testament to Pentax-Ricoh-Imaging-Company's commitment to marketing excellence, that such baubles and trinkets shall be dispensed freely to us, the faithful.

gartmore

Link Posted 15/04/2012 - 11:11
in a word, no
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

piotro

Link Posted 15/04/2012 - 16:30
Accidentally I've had a look at K-5 advert on jessops website:
http://tinyurl.com/cam8whl

What a bad marketing, around 0:52sec they show off with continues shooting - by taking pics of a plane, just after that they go through couple of frames, first looks ok as expected, then the rest is not in focus or blurry, not at all "crisp pictures of a fast moving subject" as they advertise...
--
http://piotr.zenfolio.com
Last Edited by piotro on 15/04/2012 - 16:33

gartmore

Link Posted 15/04/2012 - 20:41
Looks fine on my PC, are you seriously expecting an internet ad purporting to show 7 fps frames on the rear LCD to look like HDTV or something????
Ken

piotro

Link Posted 15/04/2012 - 20:52
gartmore wrote:
Looks fine on my PC, are you seriously expecting an internet ad purporting to show 7 fps frames on the rear LCD to look like HDTV or something????

It definitely doesn't look good, subsequent frames are not in focus/blurred (clearly visible from around frame 3 in sequence around 0:57s) it is not about HD, just basic quality proving what they say i the add, what is the point in showing there a picture that qualifies only to be deleted.
Yes I do expect prepared marketing ad to look great! - this is the purpose of it, it is not some beginner doing some DIY to show it on youtube, somebody takes money for it, somebody accepts it and pays for it, this is not real photo session hence possibility to make things look better than they are, here is rather opposite (or maybe just honest ).
--
http://piotr.zenfolio.com
Last Edited by piotro on 15/04/2012 - 20:56

Smeggypants

Link Posted 15/04/2012 - 21:01
http://www.prweek.com/uk/news/1036948/Consumer-lifestyle-comms-shop-Escapade-handed-Pentax-brief/

Well since we all know the Pentax visible presense in the UK is appalling then If I were Ricoh Pentax I would be looking very carefully about he viability of the contract with "Escapade"
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Smeggypants

Link Posted 15/04/2012 - 21:04
George Lazarette wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
They haven't come into the forum .. a member of the (outsourced) media agency has come onto the forum.

It is very common for large companies to use agents for PR, and since Nicola Littlewood is Pentax's authorised agent, she speaks for Pentax just as much as a direct employee would.

There is no advantage to her or Pentax to provide inaccurate information. She was clearly told by Pentax that Jessops had agreed to stock the full Pentax line, and was unaware that they didn't.

It's a pity she wasn't greeted more warmly. With such a reception, it would not be surprising if she decided never to return. And that would be a shame.

G

A PR agency that runs away at the slightest sniff of criticism isn't a PR agency. As you should well know George, PR is about putting yourself on a public stage and being able to take any challenges to your broadcasts.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 15/04/2012 - 22:19
Smeggypants wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:
Quote:

G

A PR agency that runs away at the slightest sniff of criticism isn't a PR agency. As you should well know George, PR is about putting yourself on a public stage and being able to take any challenges to your broadcasts.

I do wonder what she's been upto the last 6 months? ... A lot of new Pentax products coming/have come out and I haven't seen any 'hard' advertizing in photographic press, national or local press or, commercials on television...
This is not how CaNikon, Fuji, Panasonic, Samsung or any of the other photographic companies I can think of play it...
There is a Pentax-Pro centre in the middle of Bradford but from what I can tell they are not supplied with much of a 'point of sales' package either...(?)
Now we're told Ricoh have to raise prices to make money?! ...
Surely if the spent some on advertising they sell more stock? ...

Pentax needs to make consummers aware that it is making quality photographic equipment...

Again... I'm not attempting to insult... Just raising questions...

So I propose ideas for our new member Nicola to (at least think about) run with...

Idea 1)
Run photography comp in The Guardian with K5 as 1st prize - K01 as 2nd prize and Kr as 3rd and you instantly generate awareness of the brand to the Saab-driving-educated of our little sea-locked-rock

Idea 2)
Run comps with identical prizes in the Express and Sun newspapers - just make the entry requirements easier and use a picture of a reletively attractive blonde girl...

Idea 3)
A TV advert... lots of photographers at a film premier... The rain pours... All the toggers run for cover... Beautiful actress arrives by limo - man with K5 puts his jacket over her protectively
"You look beautiful" he says "Can I get a few pictures?"
K5 gets the shot while other toggers look on in vain...
PENTAX K5 - WE DON'T STOP - WE GET THE SHOT
The camera is then shown resting in a puddle in the rain...

Any more ideas?
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Last Edited by DaveHolmes on 15/04/2012 - 22:20

cabstar

Link Posted 15/04/2012 - 23:15
David you seem to miss the point of PR, the PR company has nothing to do with the advertising campaign, the PR's job is to raise profile through press releases & handle media enquiries, also to defend the brand from any negative press.

Advertising is handled by an advertising company, on the orders of teh companies marketing department.

Back to the PR they only actually do what the hiring company asks them to do, don't forget the Pentax brand also includes Optio & the Q, I would hazard a guess that most of the profits for Pentax are from the Optio range & would also guess that that is where most of the budget is spent. As a side note I always see adverts for Pentax SLR in the broadsheets on a daily basis, exactly the place where you say they should run a competition...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Shaky

Link Posted 16/04/2012 - 09:51
cabstar wrote:
As a side note I always see adverts for Pentax SLR in the broadsheets on a daily basis, exactly the place where you say they should run a competition...

Interesting Cabstar. I very rarely buy a newspaper these days, so it is certainly not surprising that I have not come across any of these.

Any idea where I might find a sample, preferably online?
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.