Jessops fall out with pentax

cabstar

Link Posted 09/04/2012 - 20:25
hmm try getting your hands on say a D300s or a D700 in any Jessops except London or Manchester, or a 5D mk2.

You'll get the same response, we can order one in for you...

this isn't a Pentax problem its a Jessops financial problem...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

George Lazarette

Link Posted 09/04/2012 - 20:25
You can't do sale or return on a single item basis. It's just too much of a hassle.

Furthermore, I am sure that Jessops does its buying centrally, so it would be one customer, not 200.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 09/04/2012 - 20:34
cabstar wrote:

this isn't a Pentax problem its a Jessops financial problem...

I think it may be a combination of the two... Just my opinion...

George Lazarette wrote:
You can't do sale or return on a single item basis. It's just too much of a hassle.

Furthermore, I am sure that Jessops does its buying centrally, so it would be one customer, not 200.

G

I agree... Sale or return on a single item is ludicrous! But Canikony will be doing sale or return deals on batches of stock... Items will be returned frequently with the balance being paid by retailers... And yes of course they do... I said as much in my post... My point was that the Pentax-UK sales team will be looking at the number of outlets Jessops have when doing their calculations for a minimum order for Jessops...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

cabstar

Link Posted 09/04/2012 - 21:27
Jessops have stock centrally, say you wanted to buy a D700 in Grimsby, you would have to order it online with a collect in store with a view to paying when in store. So they would either have to get one in from another store or from direct manufacture, I would guess Jessops would be getting single items on sale or return to do this.

Remember Jessops will be on 30 day terms, plus possibly delaying payment by another 30 to 60 days so the SOR would be irrelevant as its regular for B2B transactions for items to be returned for credit..
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

SteveDH

Link Posted 10/04/2012 - 16:56
You can tell which Jessops have Pentax in stock using their stock check thing on their website.. if you can pick it up within an hour then I assume its in stock.
But then we hit another problem Bricks and Mortar retailers have, I went to pickup a K5 at at their Richmond store, but they only had a display one, which also seemed to have lost its box, and would not negotiate any reduction.
I had my wife with me, who is very fussy that anything we buy must be from an unopened box...
So we all want to go into a shop and try out the Kit, maybe fire a few shots, but which of us really wants to buy an ex display model when for the same price you can buy one boxed and in pristine condition... and how does a shop with limited stock cope with that?

JAK

Link Posted 10/04/2012 - 17:09
Did you speak to the store manager?

John
John K

SteveDH

Link Posted 12/04/2012 - 10:49
It was only really a half hearted attempt and I ended up getting a new one cheaper from SRS, and at the looks of things the store (Richmond) still has it in stock, although I now notice the Jessops price has gone up by about 100!!.. ooh and so has SRS, lucky I got it when I did, even though I did miss the cashback

PentaxUK

Link Posted 12/04/2012 - 14:22
Hi, there seems to have been some confusion here, we are pleased to confirm that the full range of Pentax products are being stocked in a number of Jessops stores nationwide and are available via the Pentax shop via the Jessops website:
http://www.jessops.com/directory/pentax-shop.aspx?cm_re=170212-_-Home-_-services_pentaxshop?fh_location=//jessops/en_GB/isvisible=1/$s=Pentax

PENTAX Ricoh Imaging UK Ltd.

johnriley

Link Posted 12/04/2012 - 14:34
This link takes us to the Pentax page:

http://www.jessops.com/directory/pentax-shop.aspx

Welcome aboard, PentaxUK!
Best regards, John

milamber

Link Posted 12/04/2012 - 14:41
PentaxUK wrote:
Hi, there seems to have been some confusion here, we are pleased to confirm that the full range of Pentax products are being stocked in a number of Jessops stores nationwide and are available via the Pentax shop via the Jessops website:
http://www.jessops.com/directory/pentax-shop.aspx?cm_re=170212-_-Home-_-services_pentaxshop?fh_location=//jessops/en_GB/isvisible=1/$s=Pentax

PENTAX Ricoh Imaging UK Ltd.

That's hardly the full range of Pentax lenses though, is it.

The same 12 lenses Jessops have had for ages including three Q ones - no macro, no 35mm, no 50mm etc

foneypony

Link Posted 12/04/2012 - 17:02
I must say I am happy that Jessops are stocking Pentax. With Canon and Nikon so dominant, it's great to see Pentax back.
Don't forget guys, Jessops is pretty much bank owned and they will dictate what money can be spent each week.
When you have people waiting for Canon and Nikon stock, what would you buy.

This is the first time I have been on here and I am amazed at the negativity you guys show the brand that you support!
Lets get behind them and support them....

I'm sure Pentax will be stocked in more Jessops as sales grow, the 2 large Manchester stores have good stock and know their onions!!

George Lazarette

Link Posted 12/04/2012 - 23:08
foneypony wrote:
This is the first time I have been on here and I am amazed at the negativity you guys show the brand that you support!
Lets get behind them and support them....

Not all of us, old chap.

Some of these unhappy people are not even Pentax users. Others are angry that Pentax does not have a 135-format body in the line-up.

Anyway, welcome to the site!

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

johnha

Link Posted 13/04/2012 - 00:53
foneypony wrote:
I'm sure Pentax will be stocked in more Jessops as sales grow, the 2 large Manchester stores have good stock and know their onions!!

I was last in the Trafford Centre shop a couple of weeks ago, all they had on display was one DA15mm (in it's box with no price) and one DA17-70mm (out of a box and priced!), no Q, no bodies, nothing else. When I asked about other lenses I was told to try Ebay.

Jessops were great when they had a few shops and sold really useful non-genuine accessories (like my K mount monocular convertor or third party MEII winder clone with intervalometer). The shop fronts now seem to be full of canvas effect prints to promote their printing services rather than equipment.
PPG Flickr

JAK

Link Posted 13/04/2012 - 01:16
foneypony wrote:
I am amazed at the negativity you guys show the brand that you support!

Hi and welcome. Please point out some of that negativity and perhaps we'll do something about it? Sometimes a bit of negativity (in the non photographic sense) is a means of prodding Pentax to go in the direction we feel they should go rather than on their own merry way. Probably futile but it gets it off our chests!

It has been said by senior staff at Pentax that Pentax owners don't want this or that (eg that 135-format body) yet some Pentax owners are crying out for one! It may sound negative complaining about it but it isn't really. In any event, we're not going to agree with every decision and direction the company takes, and if users disagree they need to make themselves heard. Supposing Pentax decided no more optical TTL viewfinders. I for one would jump ship at my next camera purchase. That could very well happen if no one was negative about such a suggestion. (I am not aware that such an announcement has been made but the last two cameras from Pentax have not had viewfinders so who knows!)

Now Hoya has moved out and Ricoh has taken over with better funding, maybe the bosses at Pentax can put forward our thoughts and desires to their new boss to bring about items we fel might be beneficial.

John
John K

helios

Link Posted 13/04/2012 - 01:37
johnriley wrote:
This link takes us to the Pentax page:

http://www.jessops.com/directory/pentax-shop.aspx

Welcome aboard, Pentax UK!

I think we should all be pleased that Pentax UK has joined the forum. It looks as if Pentax UK is interested in what its customers are thinking. I hope we can have a constructive dialogue - not just moans.

I join John in welcoming Pentax UK aboard.
Archie
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.