Jessops

robbie_d

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 08:45
Mongoose wrote:
on at least one forum I've been part of over the years, just about everyone who has posted in this thread would have been banned by now

Sounds like a fun (and tolerant) place
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 17/05/2010 - 08:47

aminstar

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 08:53
Mongoose wrote:
on at least one forum I've been part of over the years, just about everyone who has posted in this thread would have been banned by now

You mean including good old George too?
I personally think most of the members if not all of them who have posted in this thread have behaved quite well. Didn't notice anything out of extraordinary deserving a ban. But then I might have missed some posts as I read that comments have been deleted.
Amin Photo Gallery

aliengrove

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 10:52
This thread was started as criticism of Jessops, but seems to have degenerated into a discussion of the moderation of the forum.

If I were to rail against rules I didn't agree with, I wouldn't be working where I am now. But I made an informed decision when I accepted the job. Similarly, if people want to take part on this forum, which is in my experience of forums a very good one, surely they should abide by the rules, even when they personally disagree with them. It's not like the rule about other manufacturers is unreasonable: it's a Pentax forum after all. If this rule is not to be followed to the letter, where is the line drawn?

I think (and I'm not the first) it's time to put this one to bed and move on.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook
Last Edited by aliengrove on 17/05/2010 - 10:54

Mike-P

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 12:38
cardiff_gareth wrote:

Yep, I had a PM from him last night, it appears he quoted part of a PM that he had received from JR on here and for doing so got banned

Mmm, I think that has happened a few times.

It seems a bit strange to me that if we have a problem with moderation then we should contact the moderators .. and not be able to repeat whatever the moderator says on the forum.

But hey .. I voted Conservative so what do I know.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 17/05/2010 - 12:41

bretti_kivi

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 12:48
I sort of get that, but I don't see where it's written. In fact, I don't find a link to the forum rules anywhere.

Where are they, please?

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.

fatspider

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 13:02
Quote:
But hey .. I voted Conservative so what do I know.

Well you know we didn't win
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Mike-P

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 13:06
bretti_kivi wrote:
I sort of get that, but I don't see where it's written. In fact, I don't find a link to the forum rules anywhere.

Where are they, please?

Bret

Down the bottom, far left.

Terms of Use.
. My Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 13:07
Quote:
Yep, I had a PM from him last night, it appears he quoted part of a PM that he had received from JR on here and for doing so got banned

That is not the case and it would be disingenuous for anyone to say that it is, especially when they know full well what the real reason is.

The problem is not with the moderation or moderator but with the behaviour that continued unabated despite prolonged efforts to dissuade it, very nicely it must be said.

The 7 day ban will be reviewed in....7days.
Best regards, John

Lloydy

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 13:39
I saw one of Polchraine's posts before it was removed, and although critical was not abusive.

If people are getting banned for criticism then it's a sad day, and a very sad reflection on the attitude of the Admin.

johnriley

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 13:48
For goodness sake Lloydy, that's not it either. Just because you saw a post doesn't mean you have the whole story.

If this is the result of being as open as we can be, maybe we should invoke the "we do not discuss moderation" rule.

Lets' have a bit of common sense please.
Best regards, John

thoughton

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 13:53
It seemed pretty obvious he was going to get banned after all the furious posts he has been making in various threads over the last day or two! I think he was quite annoyed
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

aminstar

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 14:14
thoughton wrote:
It seemed pretty obvious he was going to get banned after all the furious posts he has been making in various threads over the last day or two! I think he was quite annoyed

Yes, he seemed annoyed particularly because his posts kept being deleted, and it was mentioned earlier by a forum member that although his posts seemed to be pretty critical but they didn't seem abusive. We do know when abusive or childish posts are used around here and in those instances their ban has been quite well received generally by most members, and quite rightly deserved.
Amin Photo Gallery

johnriley

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 14:40
That was not the reason either Amin, as you are well aware.
Best regards, John

aminstar

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 14:55
johnriley wrote:
That was not the reason either Amin, as you are well aware.

John, I am not saying that he was banned due to what he was posting at least here in the forum, its obvious that something more must have occurred that got him banned. All I am saying is agreeing with thoughton that he was definitely annoyed and kept on posting comments reflecting his annoyance and those comments were critical but not abusive.

I did not pass any judgement on whether he was rightly or wrongly banned. Surely you have a duty and a very difficult one I admit to keep control around here and keep tabs on things so that it doesn't get out of hand.

NOTE: sorry John forgot to add that I definitely am not aware of the reason why he was banned. You are wrongly assuming that I know
Amin Photo Gallery
Last Edited by aminstar on 17/05/2010 - 14:57

johnriley

Link Posted 17/05/2010 - 15:43
Ok, that's fine Amin, so why don't we call it a day now and move on to some photography.

I'm sure everyone will be glad of that.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.