Good photography book?

Cayman

Link Posted 12/05/2010 - 20:33
Can anyone recommend an up to date book on photography? I'm not after a beginners book - I want something which is really detailed. I have a copy of
The Photographer's Handbook by John Hedgecoe which is very good but somewhat dated now? Any thoughts on recent publications????

Anvh

Link Posted 12/05/2010 - 20:48
I think you will find that only the digital bit has been changed, I wander how useful it would be... you might be better of with a specialized book for the software you use and maybe magic lantern book for your camera?
Just an suggestion though, don't know how good it is
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

snappychappy

Haworth

Link Posted 12/05/2010 - 22:11
I've just bought 'The Photographers Eye - composition and design for better photographs' by Michael Freeman.

Only got it a few days ago and can't put it down. Lots of explanation on how certain compositional elements work and why.

Happened to look at the one snappychappy mentioned while in the shop and that's next on my list.

H
'The RAW is the score and the print is the performance' - Apologies to Ansel Adams

Blog
Flickr
Last Edited by Haworth on 12/05/2010 - 22:15

MrCynical

Link Posted 12/05/2010 - 22:16

+1 for this - I have very little patience with instructional books (especially illustrated ones), but it is very useful.

terje-l

Link Posted 12/05/2010 - 23:20
Cayman wrote:
I have a copy of The Photographer's Handbook by John Hedgecoe which is very good but somewhat dated now?

Have you seen John Hedgecoe's "new manual of Photography", published 2003? It covers both analogue and digital photography. Besides, the basic principles remain the same

Another recommendation is Scott Kelby's The Digital Photography Book, volume 1 - 3. Fun to read, and a lot of good advice.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

Cayman

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 09:23
Thanks everyone! - new manual of photography and photographer's eye now on order. There's a new edition of understanding exposure out later this year so i'll wait for that when it comes out

robbie_d

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 09:25
terje-l wrote:
Cayman wrote:
I have a copy of The Photographer's Handbook by John Hedgecoe which is very good but somewhat dated now?

Have you seen John Hedgecoe's "new manual of Photography", published 2003? It covers both analogue and digital photography. Besides, the basic principles remain the same

Another recommendation is Scott Kelby's The Digital Photography Book, volume 1 - 3. Fun to read, and a lot of good advice.

The Scott Kelby books are really good. Written in a friendly style not often associated with instructional books, but full of good advice and little hints & tips which really make a difference.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

flossie

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 09:37
I read an extract of Understanding Exposure and apart from being more out of date, the style really wasn't to my taste - far too ...californian... as I recall.

I bought Perfect Exposure & The Photographer's Eye both by Michael Freeman instead. For a tenner each, and as both are written up to date and packed with useful information in a clear, english, style, that you can just dip in and out of as you feel, you can't really go wrong!
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 13:41
Quote:
I have a copy of The Photographer's Handbook by John Hedgecoe which is very good but somewhat dated now? Any thoughts on recent publications????

I have this one too. A very good book for reminding yourself there's more to taking a photo than relying on the latest whizz bang technology. And that sharpness isn't the be all and end all. He even uses a Pentax (mainly)

If I wanted another book I'd look at something focusing on a specific field, such as Flash or Macro for instance, or more for inspiration, like a book of Andreas Gursky photography I love to flick through from time to time. Or something more philosophical, like Paul Hill's 'Approaching Photography'.

For digital techniques and technology, these things move quite quickly and are covered in great detail on the web, so I wouldn't bother buying a book on that sort of thing.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

davem

Link Posted 16/05/2010 - 20:12
I tend to look in second hand shops as there are often some good basic books.

Occasionaly i have found some inspirational ones such as 'Nature' and 'photographing the World Around You' by Freeman Patterson and arty books such as those by Richard Long.

Dave

simonarthurs

Link Posted 16/05/2010 - 21:51
Try Ross Hoddinott's books, they are simple and easy to understand and small enough to carry with you.

Anvh

Link Posted 16/05/2010 - 21:57
davem wrote:

Occasionaly i have found some inspirational ones such as 'Nature' and 'photographing the World Around You' by Freeman Patterson and arty books such as those by Richard Long.

Yes arty books are also my form of inspiration it's often not the technique that's holding you back but the ability to see things and I found magazines like B&W and Silvershotz of value of expending my view and training my eye.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Lloydy

Link Posted 16/05/2010 - 23:06
davem wrote:

Dave

Freeman Patterson has an eye for a picture most of us can only dream about, I'd recommend his books anytime, there's very little techy stuff, but lots of inspiration.

I'm reading "David Bailey's Book of Photography" at the moment and although it was published in 1981 and covers film techniques a lot of the 'photography' stuff is still very relevant, he used light extremely well and describes his techniques very well.
A good find in a charity shop for a 1.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.