Jessops

Pwynnej

Link Posted 13/05/2010 - 16:01
flossie wrote:
Pwynnej wrote:
to be fair...

Richmond branch has helpful staff, and Kingston were determined to get a sale out of me (which they got in the end)...

Jessops does have its flaws but if it goes our little bit of Surrey becomes a photographic retail wasteland...

There's an independant (I think) photo shop in Teddington, doesn't stock new Pentax but it does have a wide range of second-hand gear.

As for the (now-snipped) advert, I'm surprised noone commented that they are admitting that after 75 years of experience all they can push is simple P&S units...

Yes, I know of Andrew's of Teddington - been there once or twice....

BTW are you in the RTPS?
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. DFA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. D-FA 100 (gone now!). The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon

flossie

Link Posted 13/05/2010 - 16:24
RTPS? heh, no, not really my sort of thing... this is enough for me
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

George Lazarette

Link Posted 13/05/2010 - 22:47
I think it is unfortunate that a number of people have described JR's removal of an ad for a rival make as "silly".

Rules are rules. They need to be enforced consistently. Once you have exceptions all hell breaks loose.

And, frankly, we have the best moderation on this forum of any that I have participated in. Let's show a bit of respect for those who do a difficult and sometimes thankless job with unfailing courtesy and even-handedness.

A saddened G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

robbie_d

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 08:53
George Lazarette wrote:
I think it is unfortunate that a number of people have described JR's removal of an ad for a rival make as "silly".

Rules are rules. They need to be enforced consistently. Once you have exceptions all hell breaks loose.

And, frankly, we have the best moderation on this forum of any that I have participated in. Let's show a bit of respect for those who do a difficult and sometimes thankless job with unfailing courtesy and even-handedness.

A saddened G

You're right George.

People having an opinion, and being able to voice it is indeed "unfortunate".

I'm very sorry you feel "saddened" that people are exercising one of their Human Rights (Article 19 - The Universal Declaration Of Human Rights).

Are you as saddened when people exercise their other Human Rights? Like the right not to be made a slave (Article 4), or the right not to be hurt or tortured (Article 5)?
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 14/05/2010 - 08:53

polchraine

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 08:54
cardiff_gareth wrote:
Why is it unfortuante, are we not allowed to have an opinion? No onw said they had no respect for the mods or the job they do so unsure where that comment came from?

I thought this was a community forum not a cloak and dagger forum so things were able to be discussed?

Obviously not

I am also saddened by these findings

I would like to make a positive comment on your post - but as you say I am not allow to have or voice an opinion to other members of the forum.
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...

Lloydy

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 09:15
Polchraine made a point about the subject of this thread, Jessops, by illustrating the sales tactics used by Jessops which has probably led to the demise of the independent camera shops, something that has certainly happened around here in Shropshire.

Was Polchraine's point a good one? that depends on your point of view. But I firmly believe he has the right to make that point, and removal of the advert that he used was both petty and pointless.

robbie_d

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 09:17
Lloydy wrote:
Polchraine made a point about the subject of this thread, Jessops, by illustrating the sales tactics used by Jessops which has probably led to the demise of the independent camera shops, something that has certainly happened around here in Shropshire.

Was Polchraine's point a good one? that depends on your point of view. But I firmly believe he has the right to make that point, and removal of the advert that he used was both petty and pointless.

Shropshire is becoming a very barren area as far as camera shops are concerned. Where's the closest half-decent independent to you?

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 14/05/2010 - 09:17

Pwynnej

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 09:58
I'm with George on this one - I felt the reaction of some people to the action of the moderator rather extraordinary and completely unwarranted.

Whilst I question the need to remove the advert, I just move on and shrug my shoulders...

Rules are rules - we have not been asked to contribute to the running of this forum - so we are guests and the mods do a grand job. So please remember that.
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. DFA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. D-FA 100 (gone now!). The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon

Lloydy

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 10:05
Quote:
the closest half-decent independent

There isn't one. I use the Wolverhampton Camera Fair for most of my purchases, and the last big spend ( 50-135 DA ) was bought online from Celtic Vision in South Wales. I strive to support independent camera shops where I can, and they did a great price and service for me.

Jessops killed every good camera shop we had around here, the Shrewsbury Camera Exchange was the best of possibly 8 or 9 good shops locally, and I include Wolverhampton in that.

Jessops slowly increased prices, got rid of good and knowledgable staff who they replaced with young sales staff - one day selling trousers in Next, the next day selling cameras.

But they have struggled on despite having lost the loyalty of keen photographers by selling some items at a vastly reduced rate, like the half price Fuji Finepix.

The "75 years of know how comes free" is rubbish, I used the Shrewsbury Camera Exchange a lot, since the early 1970's until Jessops swallowed them up.
The staff went to Jessops, and within a short time they seemed to lose all their enthusiasm for selling and recommending the RIGHT stuff to customers of all levels of knowledge. The last time I tried to buy something from Jessops in Shrewsbury the lady serving, who I'd dealt with for over 25 years, seemed to have lost the will to live, she was a corporate clone and not the keen photographer who loved to sell cameras!

Polchraine's point was right, that kind of "ridiculous pricing regime" has killed the independents.
Last Edited by Lloydy on 14/05/2010 - 10:07

robbie_d

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 10:06
Pwynnej wrote:
I'm with George on this one - I felt the reaction of some people to the action of the moderator rather extraordinary and completely unwarranted.

Whilst I question the need to remove the advert, I just move on and shrug my shoulders...

Rules are rules - we have not been asked to contribute to the running of this forum - so we are guests and the mods do a grand job. So please remember that.

People seem to take a different view when it is the policing of photographers in London.

And isn't it just common sense to ask whether rules are sensible and just. After all, slavery used to be "by the rules" as did denying women the vote.

And with regards being asked to contribute to the running of the forum, without the members there would be no forum.

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 14/05/2010 - 10:18

flossie

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 10:19
The point at which The Universal Declaration Of Human Rights is quoted is the point at which any discussion of forum moderation or behaviour becomes pointless - its a the short step before Godwin's Law occurs!

Robbie - please, take step back, its a very minor decision, and not worth wasting your energy on or the moderators time with.
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

fatspider

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 10:28
Quote:
People seem to take a different view when it is the policing of photographers in London.

But the photographers being hassled by the Police are not breaking any laws/rules, Polchraine did break the rules by posting an ad for another brand camera, it's obvious he didn't do this with any malicious intent but that's not the issue, the issue is whether John was being silly or petty in removing the ad, regardless of your opinion on that I think it would be courteous to cut him a little slack, moderating a forum must be quite a time consuming task and having a go at someone when they do or dont get it right (in ones opinions) is not the way to thank them.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

robbie_d

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 10:30
fatspider wrote:
Quote:

But the photographers being hassled by the Police are not breaking any laws/rules, Polchraine did break the rules by posting an ad for another brand camera, it's obvious he didn't do this with any malicious intent but that's not the issue, the issue is whether John was being silly or petty in removing the ad, regardless of your opinion on that I think it would be courteous to cut him a little slack, moderating a forum must be quite a time consuming task and having a go at someone when they do or dont get it right (in ones opinions) is not the way to thank them.

A fair point, and a poor example on my part.

Apparently.

fatspider

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 10:34
Quote:

Quite so, shame on you sir. would you like me to pass you the revolver
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

robbie_d

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 10:37
fatspider wrote:
Quote:

Quite so, shame on you sir. would you like me to pass you the revolver

Or I could come up with another example...

Apparently.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.