Jessops

Unlocker

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 10:45
My parents always used to say 'when under my roof, it's my rules', same does apply here, it's not free speech here, we do have rules!

It was quite fun turning the rules on me Mum though telling her that under MY house she had to abide by MY rules! Telling her to 'put your feet up on the sofa and drink your beer' was fun!

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

robbie_d

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 15:08
Unlocker wrote:
My parents always used to say 'when under my roof, it's my rules', same does apply here, it's not free speech here, we do have rules!

It was quite fun turning the rules on me Mum though telling her that under MY house she had to abide by MY rules! Telling her to 'put your feet up on the sofa and drink your beer' was fun!

As much as we all love our parents, it doesn't necessarily mean that everything they say is right. We're all well aware of the "rules" in the Fritzl and West households...
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

aminstar

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 15:51
robbie_d wrote:

As much as we all love our parents, it doesn't necessarily mean that everything they say is right. We're all well aware of the "rules" in the Fritzl and West households...

Please someone try telling that to my parents
Amin Photo Gallery

polchraine

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 19:21
fatspider wrote:
Quote:
People seem to take a different view when it is the policing of photographers in London.

But the photographers being hassled by the Police are not breaking any laws/rules, Polchraine did break the rules by posting an ad for another brand camera,

Can you show me the rule?

Because no one else can.
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...

Pwynnej

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 19:47
I am surprised this thread has continued....moderators? consistency?
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. DFA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. D-FA 100 (gone now!). The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon

mowog

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 21:00
Really!.. Making flippant and impertinent posts in other peoples threads!. Some people, eh!

Yeah, Jessops is crap. But it wasn't always so.
Many members of this forum, who havn't been into photography for very long, will not know that Jessops was once a very good and respected buisiness. It started out as a single, family run camera shop, like the many that are now closing down. Jessop's of Leicester, as it was.
I used to love visiting the big, New Oxford Street branch, in Central London. Cameras, (including a large selection of used equipment) was on the ground floor. The basement had all the darkroom stuff and the medium and large format department. I spent hours in there. Obviously, they had to employ people who knew what they were selling, back then. Most of the staff knew one end of a camera, from the other.

Opposite The British Museum, Just off Gt Russell St, In Pied Bull Yard, was Jessops Classic. A little shop full of the most ancient, obscure and collectable photographica. That was another place I loved to visit. It was staffed by two old blokes who knew everything there was to know about the interesting and valuable things they were selling. The last couple of times I went in there, I got the impression that they were resigned to their fate and just going through the motions until the shop closed and they were layed off.

Times change.

No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.

Unlocker

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 21:21
polchraine wrote:
fatspider wrote:
Quote:
People seem to take a different view when it is the policing of photographers in London.

But the photographers being hassled by the Police are not breaking any laws/rules, Polchraine did break the rules by posting an ad for another brand camera,

Because no one else can.

Forum terms of use:-

2. However Pentax User reserves the right to edit or remove any material posted on the Forum at its discretion

or

3b. The active promotion of charity, fundraising or business events in the forums cannot ordinarily be allowed.

polchraine

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 21:37
Unlocker wrote:
polchraine wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Because no one else can.

Forum terms of use:-

2. However Pentax User reserves the right to edit or remove any material posted on the Forum at its discretion

or

3b. The active promotion of charity, fundraising or business events in the forums cannot ordinarily be allowed.

It does not break 3b in any way and 2 just allows the moderators to remove any post they feel like with or without good reason.

Unlocker

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 21:57
It could have been seen as 'an active promotion of...business events' by some, which is why I mentioned 3b.

2 kinda proves my point.

Not saying that I am agreeing with what is going on, or sucking up to anyone, just pointing out that this is their forum and they can do what they like to it, when they like, and we agreed to it when joining. Moaning about it therefore just seems pointless.

fatspider

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 22:06
So maybe none of us get the "wording" of our post 100% correct and maybe "broke the rules" was perhaps also a poor statement (wheres that revolver again) but dont you think its time that Rover let go of the bone?
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

womble

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 22:24
mowog wrote:
Yeah, Jessops is crap. But it wasn't always so...

I used to go into London on the train to visit that branch of Jessops because the discount I got on 10 or 20 rolls of Kodachrome 64 was more than the train fare. Last time I went there they didn't even have 10 rolls of film in stock.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

polchraine

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 22:38
Unlocker wrote:
It could have been seen as 'an active promotion of...business events' by some, which is why I mentioned 3b.

2 kinda proves my point.

Not saying that I am agreeing with what is going on, or sucking up to anyone, just pointing out that this is their forum and they can do what they like to it, when they like, and we agreed to it when joining. Moaning about it therefore just seems pointless.

Again - it was not an active promotion of a business event either. To take that to your conclusion would mean no one could post saying XXXXX has a sale of yyyy.

Unlocker

Link Posted 14/05/2010 - 22:55
You criticized Jessops, that's fine, it's still there.

The picture was shown on the forum instead of a link that would have done the job. Doing this could be seen as 'active promotion'. The picture shows a half price sale, this is a 'business event.'

So it is exactly rule 3b. You used the forum to show an advert for a store, showing their latest promotion. This advert has been removed, your post remains.

polchraine wrote:
To take that to your conclusion would mean no one could post saying XXXXX has a sale of yyyy.

Technically, by the rules, yes.

Lloydy

Link Posted 15/05/2010 - 00:33
Unlocker wrote:
You criticized Jessops, that's fine, it's still there.

The picture was shown on the forum instead of a link that would have done the job. Doing this could be seen as 'active promotion'. The picture shows a half price sale, this is a 'business event.'

So it is exactly rule 3b. You used the forum to show an advert for a store, showing their latest promotion. This advert has been removed, your post remains.

polchraine wrote:
To take that to your conclusion would mean no one could post saying XXXXX has a sale of yyyy.

Technically, by the rules, yes.

Oh come on, treat us like adults here!

If he was promoting the company his post would have said something to that effect, it didn't.

So please treat us with some respect and let us decide if someone is pimping!

Unlocker

Link Posted 15/05/2010 - 01:35
Lloydy wrote:

So please treat us with some respect and let us decide if someone is pimping!

Point completely missed, lets try and make it simple:-

Advert posted

Advert removed by moderators

Whinging

Where are the rules?

I show the rules

Whinging on me.

It's not my fault, it's not my problem, no one was answering the poor guys question, I did, now I'm getting the abuse. It's not my forum, I'm not making the rules, I'm not even agreeing with them, just saying it like it is 'cos no one else is. If people do not like the rules of the forum and the moderators decisions, then please do exercise your right to go somewhere else.

Everyone who is a member of this forum agreed to the rules when they signed up, if you cannot deal with rules being upheld and decisions being made then you are in the wrong place. Please treat the moderators with some respect, let them decide what they want on their forum.

There is no point asking for the rules, then when given them get into a huff about it. I'm not sure how many times the same thing has to be said before it sinks in, but please either accept it and get on with life & drop it or just go somewhere else where the rules are more to your liking.

There really is no need to shoot the messenger here when all I was trying to do is help explain the matter.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.