Intrigued!


HowardJ

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 12:44
I'm intrigued as to why some posts solicit several responses whilst others get very few or in the case of my most recent and one or two other recent ones - zero.

My images must be very bad so as to be not worthy of comment(I hope not) or so bland/ cliched even yet again so as to be not meriting C&C(I definitely hope not). Then again perhaps it was a bad time of day to post I must admit I hardly ever comment on other people's images as I don't think I have the right to criticise work that is better than mine

My very minor moan over. I still think this forum is very addictive and the images are inspiring.



Howard

PS I wonder if this will get a response
Cymru Am Byth

Father Ted

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 13:10
HowardJ wrote:
I must admit I hardly ever comment on other people's images as I don't think I have the right to criticise work that is better than mine




PS I wonder if this will get a response

I'll respond by saying; maybe you have answered your own question.
If we all decided we don't know enough to comment, maybe no-one will comment.

BTW, I'm as guitly as you for doing that
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

mikew

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 13:14
Cripes if I didn't comment on photographs better than mine then I'd be very quiet. We all have views worth hearing even if it's limited to 'I like this because ...'

I tend not to comment on animals and birds as these subjects generally don't have any interest for me and I'd find it hard to be positive.

Don't be shy get stuck in!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

aminstar

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 13:16
HowardJ wrote:
Then again perhaps it was a bad time of day to post

PS I wonder if this will get a response

Yes, sometimes time of day does affect as most people I assume if they are like me, not too methodical will check the most recent posts by clicking the link and occasionally the older threads will be overlooked.

But I am sure there are some who are more detailed and will comb quite a few older threads also and updat themselves.

Am guilty of the first one too, sorry
Amin Photo Gallery

HowardJ

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 14:23
Father Ted wrote:
HowardJ wrote:
I must admit I hardly ever comment on other people's images as I don't think I have the right to criticise work that is better than mine

PS I wonder if this will get a response

I'll respond by saying; maybe you have answered your own question.
If we all decided we don't know enough to comment, maybe no-one will comment.

BTW, I'm as guitly as you for doing that

aminstar wrote:
HowardJ wrote:
Then again perhaps it was a bad time of day to post

PS I wonder if this will get a response

Yes, sometimes time of day does affect as most people I assume if they are like me, not too methodical will check the most recent posts by clicking the link and occasionally the older threads will be overlooked.

But I am sure there are some who are more detailed and will comb quite a few older threads also and updat themselves.

Am guilty of the first one too, sorry

There was I thinking I was the only shy one. I'm glad I'm not alone!!!!

mikew wrote:
Cripes if I didn't comment on photographs better than mine then I'd be very quiet. We all have views worth hearing even if it's limited to 'I like this because ...'

I tend not to comment on animals and birds as these subjects generally don't have any interest for me and I'd find it hard to be positive.

Don't be shy get stuck in!

Mike

Will do my best Mike.

I also understand that the subject matter has a great deal of bearing on the number of responses. Ah well, interesting.

Thanks everybody.

Cheerfully yours


Howard
Cymru Am Byth

PentaxBabe

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 18:08
Hi Howard,

I have noticed this as well and also how some photos on the gallery don't receive any comments either! So I went and looked at all your posts to see if I was one of the guilty It seems I have only ever reponded to one of your posts - sorry My reasons for not reponding to posts are varied. At the moment, due to a tough time at work, I am just not in the mood usually, it is because I don't feel qualified to comment on a subject matter I don't shoot myself, or sometimes other people's comments make me feel they are more experienced in the subject to comment than I am. Also, as I work long days, sometimes posts drop off the recent activity view. However, a while back I went through a phase of checking the unanswered topics to see if there were any I could respond to in an attempt to get other people involved, but I haven't done that recently

thoramay

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 18:27
I have spent quite a lot of time recently commenting on pictures in the Gallery, not necessarily on their photo merit but being honest on how I responded to the image but then had very little comeback from the poster. This has discouraged me to the point that I have not posted or commented on any pictures in the last few days, coming to the conclusion that the Gallery is not there for comment. Am I right??

mikew

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 18:30
Personally I can't be bothered to wade through the gallery but I always look at the Your Photos section. Not logical but true.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

jackitec

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 18:35
I think a lot of people do not like to criticize someones photo in case it offends them, because if they uploaded to the gallery they think it is a good photo, however there has been a lot of bad photos recently and that's only my opinion, i.e. off level, poor focus, bad exposure, poor composition to name but a few, I normally comment on photos that I think are good in my opinion, if I think a photo is bad I will comment, the one thing I would like to see is the lens the photo was taken with, the one I do not like, it was not taken with a Pentax, that' my rant over.

mikew

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 18:37
No-one should object to constructive criticism but I agree it pays to be careful!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

HowardJ

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 19:14
PentaxBabe wrote:
Hi Howard,

I have noticed this as well and also how some photos on the gallery don't receive any comments either! So I went and looked at all your posts to see if I was one of the guilty It seems I have only ever reponded to one of your posts - sorry My reasons for not reponding to posts are varied. At the moment, due to a tough time at work, I am just not in the mood usually, it is because I don't feel qualified to comment on a subject matter I don't shoot myself, or sometimes other people's comments make me feel they are more experienced in the subject to comment than I am. Also, as I work long days, sometimes posts drop off the recent activity view. However, a while back I went through a phase of checking the unanswered topics to see if there were any I could respond to in an attempt to get other people involved, but I haven't done that recently

Hi Jeanette, no need to apologise for not commenting. I hope my posting does not seem as if I'm looking for C&C on my own images. I'm not in particular. It was just a fact that I'd noticed. BTW I'm impressed with your contributions.

Nobody , as you say Mike, should object to constructive criticism or even, in my opinion, severe criticism as they have asked for C&C.

I must confess to have never commented on anything in the Gallery, neither have I ever put something in

Ah well, it has produced an interesting debate. My OP was really the result of a "Victor Meldrew" moment



Cheerfully yours

Howard
Cymru Am Byth

Father Ted

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 20:17
mikew wrote:
No-one should object to constructive criticism but I agree it pays to be careful!

Mike

I agree.
I remember having my first shots (constructively) torn apart and reassembled. My ego took a bash...but I learnt a lot from that.

thoramay wrote:
I have spent quite a lot of time recently commenting on pictures in the Gallery, not necessarily on their photo merit but being honest on how I responded to the image but then had very little comeback from the poster. This has discouraged me to the point that I have not posted or commented on any pictures in the last few days, coming to the conclusion that the Gallery is not there for comment. Am I right??

That's my understanding. "Your Photos" is for C&C. The gallery is to display your best work. Which is why I've only put shots in there which have had positive comments elsewhere on the forum.
But I could be wrong
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

davidtrout

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 20:33
I always understood that the Gallery was for C+C as well as the Forum. A lot of people, me included, don't post in the Forum because its just not so accesible.
As for pictures dropping off the recent pages of the Gallery - that's down to some people uploading not just one or two of the pictures they think are worth sharing but loads of them. I counted 12 pictures in one day from one member not so long ago. I find this unfair on other members whose photos are pushed down the list before others have had a chance to view them.
david
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 10/08/2009 - 20:58

George Lazarette

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 20:43
Anything you post, words or pics, and in any part of the site, is open to criticism. If you're so precious you can't take criticism, don't post.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

jackitec

Link Posted 10/08/2009 - 20:44
I agree with you David, even PU subscribers should be limited to say 3,
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.