Heartless

Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Enough has been said

MattyH

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 22:27
DrOrloff wrote:
I saw the original post.

I do think that given the apparent plea for help that a justification as to exactly what was inappropriate to this forum, which yes is viewed as a supporting community by some, is in order.

There could be a number of perfectly valid reasons why the thread was deleted, so I reserve judgement until that is explained. But an explanation is surely due.

Any member asking for support, help and some reassurance on here should be and always be treated with the up most respect, and if at all possible we should rally round and offer whatever help we can.

In that a thread to be deleted of a fellow member/family member asking for help to be removed is beyond anything I have ever come across in either day to day life or forums.

And for that reason and that reason only there is no such thing as a valid reason and whoever the person is who thought it was the right thing to do should step down from whatever position they hold.

MattyH

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 22:28
dpm wrote:
how many Mods and Admins do we have here, in total?

Too many.....
Last Edited by MattyH on 01/06/2014 - 22:34

Soran

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 23:01
I am a member of at least 12 different forums, and pay for membership on 3 of them. This one, one for my car club and one for my dog breed. Both of the other paid forums have a private members chat/lounge for general chat, and an off topic forum for everyone. I think pretty much all the other forums have an off topic forum too. My car club forum also has a shoutbox(live chat) at the top of the forum where anything goes and is great fun.

So what are the reasons for not having an off topic forum please?

Can't be bandwidth/server costs, as money coming in from subs.
I can't see anyone being against an off topic forum.
It would solve the problem we currently face, as Louise's thread could have just been moved to "Off Topic"

Like others have said, I come here for the community above all else, and the voice of the community needs to be listened to for the forum to thrive.
Pentax K-3, Pentax K-5.
Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8
Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 WR, Pentax DA 55-300mm f/4.0-5.8
Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA 50mm f/1.8, Pentax D-FA 100MM f/2.8 Macro WR, Pentax DA*300mm f/4.0

ChrisA

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 23:11
Soran wrote:
and the voice of the community needs to be listened to for the forum to thrive.

This doesn't follow. Well, depending on what you mean by 'thrive', that is.

All that is necessary for a forum to at least continue with its status quo is for there to be enough remaining when all the contrary voices have left. It then becomes self-selecting for the forum policies in force.

Frankly, the only reason I still contribute here is because not enough of the people I like best have, ahem, 'emigrated'. So there is still enough element of community here to keep me around, albeit sporadically. But I do find the moderation policy somewhat totalitarian, and of course, it's abundantly clear that I'm not alone in thinking that.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Last Edited by ChrisA on 01/06/2014 - 23:14

Smeggypants

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 23:28
Soran wrote:

So what are the reasons for not having an off topic forum please?

There aren't any.

Can you imagine attending a camera club and there's an officious traffic warden type in a hi-viz vest shouting through a megaphone at anyone caught talking about anything other than photography?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

AuraTodd

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 23:29
Oh dear I really have started something here havenít I?

I hope the modís donít get too cross with me, last thing I want is to get myself banned. I work with people with special needs and some of them are the nicest people you can meet.

Quote:
People with Asperger syndrome can find it harder to read the signals that most of us take for granted. This means they find it more difficult to communicate and interact with others which can lead to high levels of anxiety and confusion.

David Bailey (thee queens photographer) has it. Many aspieís pay attention to detail, thatís why photography is so appealing. But then the man who split the atom had it as well (donít worry Iím not a destroyer of worlds)

Quote:
Sufferers seem to find that written communication/interaction, such as a forum like this, is easier for them than face-to-face.

Which is why when I tried to explain to her on the phone I couldn't beam over to the workshop, I fluffed up my words.

Quote:
Anyway - there is another site of which several of us are members which is firstly a community. And which I know has several members who have relatives with similar difficulties. AuraTodd is a member ..

You got me curious now, What site is that?

Quote:
Sorry for your troubles Aura

I know this is a photography site, so I hope I havenít caused any trouble by causing a war.

Quote:
To me General Chat means 'Chat about anything.' Not 'Chat about anything photographic

Here I have to agree, but I don't do politics (it makes me throw socks at the TV)

Quote:
I cannot explain how I felt because I have not got the words in me.

Same here, I can see how I feel in imageís, but I could never describe it in words. Depressed people who get sad, have thoughts of people being hurt is the nearest I could put it.

Winston Churchill called his depression the black dog (he had aspburgers) I call mine the bitch. The PC keeps wanting to call my condition 'hamburgers'.

Sorry to cause all this bother. Thanks.
Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link

Smeggypants

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 23:36
No need to be sorry Aura

You've helped further expose some things.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

davidstorm

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 23:40
The last thing you should do Louise is worry about causing trouble or getting yourself banned. You have done nothing wrong, so no trouble caused and no ban will result.

I hope you feel good about the support that has been shown to you on here

Keep posting the threads and we will do our best to respond and provide assistance where we can.

Best wishes
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

pentaxian450

Link Posted 02/06/2014 - 02:27
Louise,
I don't know much about Asperger syndrome, but I know a lot about special people.

My wife has cerebral palsy, and was lately diagnose with an "atypical depression". It looks like schizophrenia, but due to her age, they don't want to call it by that name.

Any time you feel lonesome and want to discuss about anything and everything, feel free to PM me. I'll find the time to "talk" with you.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

michaelblue

Link Posted 02/06/2014 - 05:33
Reading this thread has shown the character and humanity of it's members.

I did not see Louise's original post but she obviousely needed some help and comfort and has had a tremendous response from you all,
but I am absolutely stunned that (so far) there has been no response from the moderators!

Good to see that you have not deserted the forum Louise!
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

dpm

Link Posted 02/06/2014 - 07:06
MattyH wrote:
dpm wrote:
how many Mods and Admins do we have here, in total?

Too many.....

Is there a listing somewhere that I've missed- say, with the forum areas each cover?

I only ask because I was only aware of two. Neither were online around the time the thread was culled (yes, I checked) but both have been logged-in late last night and yes, neither have commented.

One would expect an explanation from the "Team". It'd also be nice to get confirmation that Admin actions like this can only be carried out whilst publicly logged-in; for an admin to have full access whilst "hidden" would be pretty spineless...

Mannesty

Link Posted 02/06/2014 - 07:49
Can I thank all who have posted here offering support to Louise and making your feelings known about how her topic was dealt with.

I think the fact that this thread has (so far) not been deleted or locked is interesting. Perhaps a conscience has been 'pricked' and similar occurrences will be avoided.

I would hope that an apology will be forthcoming to Louise via a personal message. What happened was wrong, it upset a lot of people, and I think we've made that point. Perhaps we'll see some changes.

Thanks for your support.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/06/2014 - 07:56
I'd echo the comment of michaelblue

michaelblue wrote:
Reading this thread has shown the character and humanity of it's members.

It really is encouraging to see such a level of support for one of our members. I have seen it (and try to do the same) when relating to photographic questions/issues, but to witness it on such a personal level is very refreshing. Those of you who contributed to Louises original post and this one should be proud that you are willing to speak up and be so supportive in a virtual world where it is easy to just ignore things.
LennyBloke

McBrian

Link Posted 02/06/2014 - 08:33
I didn't see (nor have I googled) Louise's post, but I'm pretty dissapointed that the mods have deleted it.

It's interesting that Louise has a similar thread running on EPZ which has been left to run, EPZ owns PU.

Chin up Louise, were all still here through the PM system.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Last Edited by McBrian on 02/06/2014 - 08:33

AuraTodd

Link Posted 02/06/2014 - 09:49
Quote:
Any time you feel lonesome and want to discuss about anything and everything, feel free to PM me. I'll find the time to "talk" with you.

Thanks thatís very kind of you. My friend has cerabra palsy (excuse the spelling) and she likes sketching.

Quote:
It's interesting that Louise has a similar thread running on EPZ which has been left to run, EPZ owns PU.

Whops sorry, I couldnít find the thread so I put it on there, sorry its been duplicated. Did you say EPZ owns Pentax user?

There are many photographers with learning difficulties and who are disabled and bright as a button, but sadly they often get ignored because they are not taken seriously. Mencap runs a photographic competition called 'Snap' and some of the images are amazing. I better not put the link in case it's not aloud.

If you google 'Photography, cameras, (dis)ability and empowerment'. This will tell you some of the ignorance some of us have come up against. It's good reading and made me stop and think.
Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link
Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Enough has been said