Heartless

Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Enough has been said

judderman62

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 14:49
I have also PM'd her .
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

Mike-P

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 14:49
layingback wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
Posting your disapproval is one thing, posting to tout for business is something else entirely (whether it be on purpose or not).

Mike, I stand corrected. But it was not my intent to "tout for business". In fact there is no "business" involved. It's a facility to be used - or not - that I thought might be valuable in this instance. My wording might have been coloured though by my frustration ...

Fair enough, but there's a time and place for everything, after all ... we don't want this thread deleted as well do we.

Although to be honest I don't have high hopes that it will last long.
. My Flickr

Mannesty

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 14:52
layingback wrote:
Sorry, Peter, I do realise that the above statements may make you even more annoyed

No, it doesn't Mark.

Quote:

Anyway - there is another site of which several of us are members which is firstly a community. And which I know has several members who have relatives with similar difficulties. AuraTodd is a member ...

I think most people on here know the alternatives Mark and I'd purposely avoided mentioning any of them.

Sadly, I think your comment, whilst accurate, may have guaranteed the destruction of this topic. I hope not because Louise deserves to know that some of us are here for her.

If anything is at fault here it is the title of the forum she chose to air her anxiety, "General Chat". As it's clearly not for general chat, but general photography chat, can I suggest to Mods that it gets changed to General Photography Chat?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 01/06/2014 - 14:53

dpm

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 14:55
^ probably "too difficult".

Mannesty

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 15:08
JAK wrote:

Maybe by saying "BTW, this 'General Chat' forum ..." brought about its demise?

I sincerely hope not.

Most of us around here have been reminded of so many rules disguised as 'guidelines' in the past that we would know better than to make such a post, but Louise probably was not aware of the guideline that limits the general chat to only photography related general chat.

The terms 'general chat' and 'guidelines are just far too ambiguous IMHO. A guideline is not a guideline if it's enforced, it then becomes a rule.

A possibility I've completely overlooked of course is that Louise may have asked for the thread to be deleted herself. for me if that's the case.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 01/06/2014 - 15:09

JAK

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 15:48
Mannesty wrote:
JAK wrote:

Maybe by saying "BTW, this 'General Chat' forum ..." brought about its demise?

I sincerely hope not.

Most of us around here have been reminded of so many rules disguised as 'guidelines' in the past that we would know better than to make such a post, but Louise probably was not aware of the guideline that limits the general chat to only photography related general chat.

The terms 'general chat' and 'guidelines are just far too ambiguous IMHO. A guideline is not a guideline if it's enforced, it then becomes a rule.

A possibility I've completely overlooked of course is that Louise may have asked for the thread to be deleted herself. for me if that's the case.

To me General Chat means 'Chat about anything.' Not 'Chat about anything photographic.' That's not ambiguous at all; at least to me.
John K

judderman62

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 15:50
Have to Agree with John ^^^

As he says not ambiguous at all .. if it were meant for just general photographic chat it should say so.
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

JammyBee

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 16:04
I am new here but one of the main things that prompted me to get back into photography has been the last year. I have been suffering with anxiety so much so it has stopped me sleeping and pushed me close to a break down. I like walking around with my camera as a form of relaxation. I hope everyone who suffers from any mental or physical illness can find the calm they need in this hobby we all enjoy.
Peace James
My Flickr

Gwyn

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 16:13
I didn't see Louise's thread, so I don't know what it was about, and I haven't Googled it either.

It is confusing I think to have a General Digital Photography Chat forum and one called General Chat. The latter implies what it says, though the description defines it otherwise. I don't know why we need two General Chats, both related solely to photography.

Most forums have a section for just "talking", usually available only to members, and it is something I think this forum would benefit from.

Mannesty

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 16:32
judderman62 wrote:
Have to Agree with John ^^^

As he says not ambiguous at all .. if it were meant for just general photographic chat it should say so.

John's right of course, ambiguous was the wrong word to use for what I meant to say.

I agree with Gwynn too, we don't need two general chat forums limited to photography and a 'General Chat' forum that means what it says would be most welcome. There will always be the no-go topics like religion and politics (I hope).
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Mannesty

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 16:35
In brief, Louise's topic was about her being upset about her soured relationship with somebody she thought was a friend at her church, though the topic was not in a religious context. At least I didn't read it that way.

As I saw it, she came here for support, help, and advice which some of us gave. Then the thread disappeared, which I, and apparently others, took exception to especially as she's emotionally fragile at the moment.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 01/06/2014 - 16:38

MattyH

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 18:02
Over 640 views, 26 posts on this topic and not a single comment from a Mod, Heartless and cowards spring to mind,

I am not being funny, but am I stating the obvious when I say this is not the first time things like this happen on here, if you look into the T&c's and read what the role of the Mod is, you might have a surprise as they are crossing the line of their duties on a weekly basis,

This is also for me the straw that broke the camels back as Auras post bought a bit of comfort that we are all human as this topic is also close to our heart and family but not to the extremes of Auras.

Well here's the question, are you going to read this thread, tut abit, grumble under your breath and then go back to your daily routine and just except that this is what you get here.

Or are you going to do something constructive about it, As here we have a fellow member of this extended family of ours asking for help and comfort and what do they get, a big fat brush off and an icy cold shoulder.

dougf8

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 18:33
AuraTodd is about and will know she has support.

Mods have jobs but a bit more thought is required. The forum had a shot in the arm from one thread and now damped down by this.

There does need to be space for stuff that doesn't fit in to the "acceptable" forum.
Lurking is shirking.!

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 18:38
Where are the TCs?

MattyH

Link Posted 01/06/2014 - 18:42
bettyswolloks wrote:
Where are the TCs?

Terms of Use at the bottom of the page.
Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Enough has been said