Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Entries for Fortnightly Competition #60 - Spatial

GlynM
Posted 20/01/2011 - 09:51 Link
For this competition I would like to see an image that has some sort of spatial attribute. I think this could range from a wide open space to a small space or even an absence of space including things like a tidy space, an untidy space, a tight space, an empty space, a public space, the space between two or more objects, a defined or measured space, a controlled space..... In fact anything where you can get the word “space” in the picture’s title or description. This might include images from macro to landscape or even possibly abstract.

The usual rules apply. The image has to be taken with a Pentax camera or Samsung DSLR equivalent and be shot within the duration of this competition (20th Jan to Feb 2nd). Please include camera details and shooting time and date with your image.

This competition will close at 6pm GMT on Wednesday 2nd Feb.
Good luck and I look forward with some anticipation to seeing your entries.

Glyn
sandinista
Posted 21/01/2011 - 11:33 Link
Time Space Continuum

According to Quantum Physics there are three dimensions of space and a fourth dimension of time. Where they meet becomes Spacetime.

Comment Image

Taken 21/01/11
Pentax K-x
D FA M 100mm F2.8
Manual
6 secs
F 9.5
ISO 100
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

Gear Not enough!!
PPG
Flickr
My not so new website
Edited by sandinista: 21/01/2011 - 11:33
davidtrout
Posted 23/01/2011 - 18:13 Link
My Space
Comment Image

What: Angel of the North
Where: Gateshead.
When: January 21 2011
Kit: K10+DA* 16-50mm lens at 16mm
ISO: 100
Settings: 1/640 at F9.
DrOrloff
Posted 24/01/2011 - 10:19 Link
A Good Space For A Cat:

Comment Image

Yesterday
K5 + DFA100mm macro
Edited by DrOrloff: 24/01/2011 - 10:21
davem
Posted 30/01/2011 - 21:56 Link
Srange space

Comment Image

K20D
18-55 @18mm
bits of light and a longish exposure!
taken 23.1.11

Dave
JudithAnn
Posted 31/01/2011 - 23:12 Link
What is Space?

Let me explain: (Yes it is a photograph!)
First I wrote it,
then I printed it,
then I photograph it,
then I processed it,
and here it is!

Comment Image

Jan 31, 2011
2808Χ2106 pixels – 768KB
Filename: IMGP1755.JPG
Camera: PENTAX Corporation
Model: PENTAX K10D
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/90 sec
Aperture: 8.0
Focal Length: 80mm
Flash Used: Yes

Pasted from Piscasa Photo Alblum:
Link: http://picasaweb.google.com/nanastandring/Space?authkey=Gv1sRgCMDRr6O7xNj6-wE#55...
Edited by JudithAnn: 31/01/2011 - 23:13
darlene
Posted 01/02/2011 - 14:26 Link
IMGP1546 by darlene Phillips deedee, on Flickr">Comment ImageComment Image[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5175/5406853314_6be102c04f_b.jpg" class="comment_image" />

IMGP1546 by darlene Phillips deedee, on Flickr" class="comment_image" />

Space for a pen

Exif

date 2011 Jan 22
pentax k-m
ISO 400
aperture f/4
shutter speed 1/10
flash not used
exposure program portrait mode
aspect ratio 3:2
Edited by darlene: 01/02/2011 - 14:40
darkskies
Posted 01/02/2011 - 16:51 Link
Spaced Out Trees

My first ever entry!

Comment Image

Taken Jan 29th
Near Adriers, La Vienne, France
K-x, 18-55mm DAL
f20, 1/000 sec, ISO 200, 18mm fl
This space deliberately left blank.
gunner
Posted 01/02/2011 - 20:17 Link
Big space, small place...

Comment Image

k200d
FA 50mm 1.4
extension tubes
f2.8
1/13th
ISO 400

(ghosting on the "1GB" is the printing, not the pic :roll
geordie01
Posted 01/02/2011 - 21:34 Link
me and my shadow
Comment Image

pentax K-r
pentax m 50mm f2
bulb setting
iso 100
played with in photo shop and picassa
1/2/ 11
Blythman
Posted 01/02/2011 - 23:58 Link
Plenty space for another
Comment Image

28th Jan
Pentax K-x
Pentax 55-300 @ 300mm
ISO 800
Aperture f/9.0
Shutter speed 1/400 sec
Alan

PPG
Flickr
thoughton
Posted 02/02/2011 - 02:23 Link
No space here
Comment Image

Taken 31 Jan 2011
K5 + Tamron 17-50
17mm, f5.6, 1/500s, ISO1250
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
aliengrove
Posted 02/02/2011 - 11:01 Link
Spatial Construction.

Comment Image

Taken 30/01/11
Pentax K7
Sigma 18-250
ISO200
f11
1/1000 sec.
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 02/02/2011 - 12:57 Link
Pier to Pylos

Comment Image

Been a while since I entered the fortnightly, but have been processing this bit of Greek space, so thought I would enter it.

Apologies for the small size of the image. PUF was resizing the larger version from Flickr detrimentally, but it can be viewed here:

link

Exif: Taken on 20th Jan. with the K5 + DA21, f11, 1/160, ISO200
Mhuni

500px
GlynM
Posted 02/02/2011 - 19:12 Link
This competition has closed and here are my results.

Firstly I would like to express my thanks to all of you that entered. Once again you all have far exceeded my expectations and it has been a privilege to review your work.

Just a reminder that I'm no expert at this. Everything here is just my personal opinion and the results reflect my personal tastes. I have tried to make useful comments for each entry and hope that I have not upset anyone as this was definitely not my intention. As always it is a terrific collection of images.

sandinista – Time Space Continuum
Jim has given us a fantastic image to start off this competition. I think it is a very clever manipulation that fits very well with its title and, of course, the competition subject. I love the clear, sharp and clean definition of the clock face and hands. Seeing some of the clock rim with a back void behind it reinforces the image. The red centre of the second hand and its stepped ghost add a great finishing touch.

davidtrout – My Space
I think this is a very well thought-out image. Most people just want to capture the angel but I think David has used it here to create a great feeling of wide open space. I like use of silhouettes for the statue , foreground and the guy on the horizon who adds a wonderful definition of scale. The blue cloudy sky is great. If I was being very picky I might grumble about the contrails but there is almost nothing you can do about these and could argue that they add a little extra dimension to the picture.

DrOrloff – A Good Space For A Cat
I like this picture very much. I guess this is an opportunistic shot as I think cats tend be rather uncooperative. It is a great image capturing a terrific sense of concentration on the cat who is in a hiding space and waiting to pounce. I love the way the cat is framed by the gap in the fence or door. The bright sunlight has also highlighted the wonderful texture of the wood, the cat’s whiskers and fur. The dark shadows also create some depth. I also think that this works very well in black & white as I suspect that colour would have caused some distraction and possibly masked the texture detail in this shot.

davem – Srange space
Dave had created an image with a sense of dark and foreboding. I guess that this is some sort of curved tunnel. I like the details of the tunnel walls and ground in the foreground. I think the image could have benefited some with a bit more light. Much of the shot is very black. I have to admit that I tried brightening this image a little and could then see how the shot was illuminated by moving a lamp around as well as a hint of a ghost of the lamp holder. Either way it certainly works in black and white and does capture an interesting space.

cardiff_gareth – Casting into a large spatial area
This is a very nice sunset shot looking over water. It creates a feeling of peace as well as space. There is so much detail in this picture to explore. The red sky, dark cloud and surface of the water are complimented by the silhouette of the fisherman in the foreground. I also like the little ship below the horizon which draws the viewer towards the distant shore. I think it all adds up to create a wonderful “end of the day” picture.

JudithAnn – What is Space?
Well Judith it is undoubtedly a photograph and obviously well meets the competition subject but it does make my judging task difficult . I was rather hoping you were going to submit one of your wonderful Canadian landscapes. It is though a very well executed, simple but thought provoking image. I guess it would make a very good fridge magnet . While possibly not a winning shot it is a terrific bit of lateral thinking and great fun. Many thanks.

darlene – Space for a pen
This is a close-up detail of some sort of card holder and pen. It reminded me of the days, long past, when I had a filofax. We get some good texture detail, particularly with some of the stitching and see some interesting ends of the cards although many look the same. The pen, which is mentioned in the title, is a bit out of focus. I would have liked to have been able to read text on the side of the pen but then this would be upside down conflicting with writing on the cards at the top of the image. So I guess it was quite a challenge to photograph and is an interesting take on the competition subject.

darkskies – Spaced Out Trees
I think this is a very well presented black & white landscape. The eye is drawn along the row of leafless trees which create a pair of very nice diagonals. The sun is spectacular with some great flare points plus a nice refection highlighting ripples in the water. As shot straight into the sun I guess this was quite difficult to achieve and I suspect would not have looked anywhere as nice in colour. A very promising first-time entry.

gunner – Big space, small place...
Here we have a clever idea showing the disparity between the physical size and storage space on a modern memory card. It is so easy to take these things for granted. I remember when I used to have to fit software applications onto a 2k EPROM. The wooden surface creates a nice warm background. It is obviously a macro shot. Depth of field is always a challenge with macro shots and here it would have been nice if the entire card was in focus. I think I would have tried reducing the aperture to achieve this although it would necessitate some support for the camera. It is though a well devised take on the competition subject.

geordie01 – me and my shadow
Wow a valve! When I first saw this I was hoping it was a something like a KT88 of audio amplifier fame but the internals look too simple for that so I suspect that this some sort of dual rectifier. This internal space though does create the opportunity for the nice shadow you have captured here. This obviously required a bright light and created a problem, well managed here, with the reflective glass surface and some spill onto the background. I think the front of the base just looks a bit soft and perhaps would have benefited with an increased DOF from a smaller aperture. From my direction though it is a very nice piece of nostalgic electronics from days when space was not so much of an issue.

Blythman – Plenty space for another
A very nice, simplistic, totally on-subject image. Again another shot that works very well in black & white. Well composed with great contrast between the feather and its reflection complemented by a neutral grey background. Very well executed at 300mm. It is the sort of shot I would expect to be hanging in a gallery for people to ponder over.

thoughton – No space here
I think this is a wonderfully executed image. I really like the diagonal aspect creating a feeling that the offending car is about to slide off the shot. The detail, reflections and lighting in this shot are very good. Everything looks so clean! It almost looks unreal. This is another shot that must work best in black & white. I think colour would just be a distraction. A very well thought-out idea and brilliantly carried out.

aliengrove – Spatial Construction
Jon has provided a definitive lesson on capturing an image of 3 dimensional space. I think it is a fantastic composition. Although shot with a wide range zoom it does not show any distortion and the verticals are very precise. The silhouetted workmen add a terrific element to the image and help the composition. We have seen quite a few black & white images in this competition but here I think the blue tint of the background works really well. A fantastic picture, many thanks.

Dr. Mhuni – Pier to Pylos
The Doctor marks his return to the competition he originally set up with a very nice landscape. The sky, clouds, distant mountains and water surface are very well captured but I think it is the jetty that makes this shot. It draws the viewer in towards the mountains. The gapped planks add an element of detail and the slight twist creates some character. A fantastic image, welcome back.

It has been very difficult to choses the winners. All the images fell within the broad subject requirement and all were of outstanding quality. Quite a few really stood out and it has been hard to put these into a winning order.

So this is it:

1st – aliengrove for Spatial Construction

2nd – DrOrloff for A Good Space For A Cat

3rd – sandinista for Time Space Continuum

Commendations, in no particular order, to:
darkskies for Spaced Out Trees
Blythman for Plenty space for another
thoughton for No space here

A special, fridge-magnet, award goes to JudithAnn for What is Space?

I think this completes my responsibilities here and hand over to Jon for the next round.

Glyn
Edited by GlynM: 02/02/2011 - 19:26

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.