Discussion for Fortnightly Competition #60 - Spatial

GlynM

Link Posted 20/01/2011 - 09:55
Here is the place for discussion about fortnightly competition #60 - Spatial.

As is traditional I will stop looking in here once the first entry has been submitted.

Just remember that this competition will close at 6pmGMT on Wednesday 2nd Feb.

Good luck,

Glyn

GlynM

Link Posted 20/01/2011 - 10:20
cardiff_gareth wrote:
So, just to get it right, spatial means space so images of a bookshelf, landscape, kitchen cupboard, my camera bag () are all spatial

Spot on - Spatial or Spacial - of or relating to space.

Our bookshelves would definitely fall within a "lack of space" and in times past, when my wife was a library assistant, might have been "controlled space" although now they are more like "chaotic space" .

In thinking about this subject I also wondered if a defined or measured space might be, for example, the gap in a spark plug and possibly opens up some macro interpretations.

I hope this helps,

Glyn

gunner

Link Posted 20/01/2011 - 10:54
Didn't we have 'space' a couple of comps ago?

thoughton

Link Posted 20/01/2011 - 11:28
Yes, we did although from GlynM's description this is a considerably wider topic. The previous one was was just about wide open spaces, the feeling of space, etc.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Last Edited by thoughton on 20/01/2011 - 11:30

GlynM

Link Posted 20/01/2011 - 11:34
gunner wrote:

Yes we did but that was more focused on open space and Landscape. Here I'm hoping that we can open this out into a greater range from macro upwards with perhaps an emphasis on the use of a space which is why I called it spatial rather than space.

Does that make sense?

Glyn

P.S. if you want some inspiration try doing an image search for "The space between".
Last Edited by GlynM on 20/01/2011 - 11:45

davidtrout

Link Posted 20/01/2011 - 14:26
OK for Father Ted's moonshots then?
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

Father Ted

Link Posted 20/01/2011 - 14:37
Damn, wrong time of the month
Ahem, I mean....it is a full moon at the moment, which is never very photogenic.

Maybe I'll wait until last minute when it'll be a waning crescent.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

GlynM

Link Posted 20/01/2011 - 17:15
davidtrout wrote:
OK for Father Ted's moonshots then?
David

Father Ted's moon shots are brilliant and certainly make my attempts look dire. If he can get "space" in the title or description it would definitely be fully compliant subject wise .

It might make judging a bit of a challenge but that is my problem and I'm keen to try and keep this competition as open and wide as possible in some, probably naive, hope that we can revive the low level of entries we have been getting in the last few months .

Glyn

gunner

Link Posted 20/01/2011 - 21:03
GlynM wrote:
gunner wrote:

Yes we did but that was more focused on open space and Landscape. Here I'm hoping that we can open this out into a greater range from macro upwards with perhaps an emphasis on the use of a space which is why I called it spatial rather than space.

Does that make sense?

Glyn

P.S. if you want some inspiration try doing an image search for "The space between".

Sure, will get my thinking cap on and my lens cap off..

GlynM

Link Posted 21/01/2011 - 11:46
With thanks to sandinista we have our first entry so I'm out of here.

Have fun,

Glyn

sandinista

Link Posted 21/01/2011 - 12:27
I just hope there are no Quantum Physicists who are members of this forum. I think my rather simplistic explanation of an incredibly complex subject might not go down so well
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

PPG
Gear Not enough!!

Flickr
My not so new website

DrOrloff

Link Posted 21/01/2011 - 12:37
Personally I don't think you need to delve into quantum theory. General relativity will suffice for the idea you propose. And no-one has come up with anything very satisfactory yet for quantum relativity (or quantum gravity or whatever other variation it is referred to), although some whacky ideas exist involving any number of dimensions beyond Einstein's four.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

sandinista

Link Posted 21/01/2011 - 13:37
DrOrloff wrote:
although some whacky ideas exist involving any number of dimensions beyond Einstein's four.

These were expanded on a length in a recent Horizon documentary "what is reality". Quite mind boggling including the thoery that we area all holograms projected from a two dimensional image at the event horizon on the edge of the universe.
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

PPG
Gear Not enough!!

Flickr
My not so new website

gunner

Link Posted 21/01/2011 - 13:51
Quick question from a newbie with regard to sandinista's entry: what constitutes a photo?

This isn't a profound question or any sleight on the picture, I just wondered where 'photos' finished and 'created images' started. I wouldn't have a clue how to create that pic and I like a lot of things about it.

If this has been discussed elsewhere, please accept my apologies.

Hyram

Link Posted 21/01/2011 - 15:52
gunner wrote:
Quick question from a newbie with regard to sandinista's entry: what constitutes a photo?

This isn't a profound question or any sleight on the picture, I just wondered where 'photos' finished and 'created images' started. I wouldn't have a clue how to create that pic and I like a lot of things about it.

If this has been discussed elsewhere, please accept my apologies.

It is entirely up to you just how far you push the boundaries.

You take a chance on whether the judge likes heavily modified images or prefers them natural

I quite often push the boundaries and sometimes the results are liked, other times not.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.