Choices, Choices...


johnriley

Link Posted 02/03/2016 - 11:53
It's my birthday very soon. I mention it every now and again just in case anyone wants to buy me a K-1.

But seriously, if I did buy a K-1, then for a slightly lower price I could buy a K-3 for myself and for Sue.

I think that's a tough call, so can I have some opinions please?
Best regards, John

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/03/2016 - 12:31
I assume you've got a fair selection of FF capable lenses that are just aching to be used to their true potetntial, so as it's YOUR birthday you should think of YOU (just for this one day of the year) and treat YOURSELF to the K-1

Besides, 3 weeks after the K-1 is available SRS will have 493 Used K3 bodies for sale at about 75 each, so you can pick up a couple then
LennyBloke
Last Edited by LennyBloke on 02/03/2016 - 12:32

wvbarnes

Link Posted 02/03/2016 - 12:42
Hi John,

I only traded my K5 for a K3 because 15,000 actuations on one or two levers and trims were showing the wear and tear despite careful use.

I bought late, weeks before the K3 II, so got a fantastic bonus trade in (extra 100 Jan 29th last year) paying I recall 349 nettto SRS.

The K3 is slightly heavier than the K5 but the boosted processing and motor power, the larger AF optics than the original, K5 delivering candle light AF well, and the ability to crop heavily on 24mp works for me. I still haven't quite got used to the AF change method but all else works beautifully as before with same build quality and handling.

I think the K-1 already looks a bargain compared to other makes at launch price but the K3 is a superb bargain. The costly investment in the new full frame lenses look to be a big part of the decision.

You clearly both do commercial wedding work so lighter quicker APSC against full frame is a big decision I guess? Two cameras the same must be part of your pondering.

pgweber

Link Posted 02/03/2016 - 13:13
wvbarnes wrote:
bought late, weeks before the K3 II, so got a fantastic bonus trade in (extra 100 Jan 29th last year) paying I recall 349 nettto SRS.

374.
Peter

Pentax K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, 55-300 Mk1, 35 f/2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f/1.4, M 50 f/1.7
Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm

wvbarnes

Link Posted 02/03/2016 - 13:35
May well be right. One of those faq type things. They normally do this type of promotion every year which is I guess a way of reducing the price on the quiet. Who knows now all focus is on the K-1. Bound to be a lot of trade ins as stated.

pgweber wrote:
wvbarnes wrote:
bought late, weeks before the K3 II, so got a fantastic bonus trade in (extra 100 Jan 29th last year) paying I recall 349 nettto SRS.

374.

Last Edited by wvbarnes on 02/03/2016 - 13:54

wvbarnes

Link Posted 02/03/2016 - 14:27
I looked up my paperwork from last year. The K3 was 779 at the time but with 80 at till cashback 699 so 50 more than the 649 currently. I got offered 225 trade in for my 3 year old (15,000 shot) K5 with kit lens on. The 100 trade in offer raised that to 325 credit to my card, so yes 374 nett then.

beakynet

Link Posted 08/03/2016 - 16:04
LennyBloke wrote:
I assume you've got a fair selection of FF capable lenses that are just aching to be used to their true potential

I'm not convinced they will! Results of older FF lenses on my K7 and K5iis have been soft, then I like the slightly retro look. And using them on my Q S1 really does give me a hint of what these lenses will do on a 36MP sensor!

I for one if I get the K-1 am already budgeting (in my mind) 3000 for decent lenses to cover my current DA*s. Or use them with the sensor cropped - should still outperform my K5iis even if only in just focus capability.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon

davidstorm

Link Posted 08/03/2016 - 23:19
Lenses are the key here I think. If you've got enough quality lenses to work well with the K-1, then I would say go for a K-1, if there's any doubt about this I would go for 2 K-3's in the secure knowledge you won't need any more lenses.

I'm not convinced about using the older legacy glass on a K-1; I suspect it will be harsh on them unless they are top-notch. Also, until we see more K-1 actual images, I'm unsure how much better it will be in the noise department at higher ISO's? If it is stellar in this regard, then it might be too tempting to ignore and this would be the only reason I would consider buying one at the moment.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

davidtrout

Link Posted 08/03/2016 - 23:33
wvbarnes wrote:

I only traded my K5 for a K3 because 15,000 actuations on one or two levers and trims were showing the wear and tear despite careful use.

15,000 shutter actuations don't seem very many to me. Your K5 should be good for many more times than that. I've lost count of how many times my K5 has been round the clock.
As for the advantages of one K1 plus the cost of several new lenses versus two K3s for two people to use I know which course I would take and that's with the K3s.
David

PS I have one or two older legacy lenses, including a couple of FA zooms which would useful if I bought at K1 but they don't compare with my DA* series zooms for image quality.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 08/03/2016 - 23:37

wvbarnes

Link Posted 08/03/2016 - 23:45
Hi David, I'm sure the K5 shutter was good for much more. It was the good offer on the K3 and the wear and tear mechanically of controls and trim that persuaded me to trade in. I very much appreciate all the K3 brings for so little money doing it this way. The K1 with the lenses it needs to replace my system are well out of my reach. Only my 300DA star F4 would be worthwhile on one.

davidtrout wrote:
wvbarnes wrote:

I only traded my K5 for a K3 because 15,000 actuations on one or two levers and trims were showing the wear and tear despite careful use.

15,000 shutter actuations don't seem very many to me. Your K5 should be good for many more times than that. I've lost count of how many times my K5 has been round the clock.

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 09/03/2016 - 13:12
I'm thinking along the same lines...
Buying a K1 to use old glass is like buying a new top of the range Mercedes-Benz just so you can use your old floor mats from your 1990 merc cos they fit...

I'd wait a bit and get 2 K3s and a couple of new lenses...
Cheers,

Bruce
Last Edited by BruceStrachan on 09/03/2016 - 13:12

LennyBloke

Link Posted 09/03/2016 - 14:37
beakynet wrote:
LennyBloke wrote:
I assume you've got a fair selection of FF capable lenses that are just aching to be used to their true potential

I'm not convinced they will! Results of older FF lenses on my K7 and K5iis have been soft, then I like the slightly retro look. And using them on my Q S1 really does give me a hint of what these lenses will do on a 36MP sensor!

You're right, quite a few lenses won't "shine" on the K-1 and are pretty ordinary on APS-C DSLR's, but I'd be surprised if the old Star lenses and the Limiteds didn't produce excellent results. I won't argue with the fact that modern designs and coatings will be generally better, so a new investment is a sensible approach - but if you happen to have an arsenal of older lenses it'll be fun finding the stellars and the black holes
LennyBloke

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 09/03/2016 - 19:10
BruceStrachan wrote:
I'm thinking along the same lines...
Buying a K1 to use old glass is like buying a new top of the range Mercedes-Benz just so you can use your old floor mats from your 1990 merc cos they fit...


I bet the floor mats from the 1990 Merc will outlast a 2016 Merc - Daimler is run by accountants these days

I think us Pentax users are in a very good place - the old lenses, with limitations, will work beautifully on a K-1....It's also not as if you have a D5 or 1DX2 which really do need the latest lenses to work at their best.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 09/03/2016 - 20:38
ilovesaabs wrote:
BruceStrachan wrote:
I'm thinking along the same lines...
Buying a K1 to use old glass is like buying a new top of the range Mercedes-Benz just so you can use your old floor mats from your 1990 merc cos they fit...


I bet the floor mats from the 1990 Merc will outlast a 2016 Merc - Daimler is run by accountants these days

I think us Pentax users are in a very good place - the old lenses, with limitations, will work beautifully on a K-1....It's also not as if you have a D5 or 1DX2 which really do need the latest lenses to work at their best.

Surely that's an assumption..
If the 30 year old glass is outperformed by F and FA lenses not to mention DA why would it suddenly shine on FF?
I'm not talking about 4 or 500 quid lenses like K specials but the run of the mill PK lenses.
My most expensive lens is the HD 16 -85 which isn't FF neither are any if my other good lenses apart from the 100 macro and the 50mm f1.4.
Cheers,

Bruce
Last Edited by BruceStrachan on 09/03/2016 - 20:39

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 09/03/2016 - 20:59
BruceStrachan wrote:
I'm thinking along the same lines...
Buying a K1 to use old glass is like buying a new top of the range Mercedes-Benz just so you can use your old floor mats from your 1990 merc cos they fit...

I'd wait a bit and get 2 K3s and a couple of new lenses...

What a wonderful analogy, Bruce.

John, the K3 seems to offer a slight improvement over the K5 trio; the K1 should prove to be a quantum leap. Should.

You and Sue could share the K1...

Or...

Practise delayed gratification and you may be able to afford two K1s in eighteen months.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.