Choices, Choices...

darkskies

Link Posted 10/03/2016 - 09:43
BruceStrachan wrote:
ilovesaabs wrote:
Quote:
I'm thinking along the same lines...
Buying a K1 to use old glass is like buying a new top of the range Mercedes-Benz just so you can use your old floor mats from your 1990 merc cos they fit...

I bet the floor mats from the 1990 Merc will outlast a 2016 Merc - Daimler is run by accountants these days

I think us Pentax users are in a very good place - the old lenses, with limitations, will work beautifully on a K-1....It's also not as if you have a D5 or 1DX2 which really do need the latest lenses to work at their best.

Surely that's an assumption..
If the 30 year old glass is outperformed by F and FA lenses not to mention DA why would it suddenly shine on FF?
I'm not talking about 4 or 500 quid lenses like K specials but the run of the mill PK lenses.
My most expensive lens is the HD 16 -85 which isn't FF neither are any if my other good lenses apart from the 100 macro and the 50mm f1.4.

And your assumption is that old glass is outperformed by F and FA lenses (and DA), which is certainly not always the case. Some of the old K lenses are optically superb, so the generalisation doesn't work.

The key to this is to see which "individual" lenses work on the K-1, and I'm assuming....well, hoping is more the case....that the K lenses, as well as the DFA100, will work very well. But, at the moment, we just don't know.
This space deliberately left blank.

Algernon

Link Posted 10/03/2016 - 17:30
Old Mercs are too heavy........ Wheelless cars are the way to go

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

LennyBloke

Link Posted 11/03/2016 - 08:16
Algernon wrote:
Old Mercs are too heavy........ Wheelless cars are the way to go

--

...Ridiculous ........next someone will say that Mirrorless Cameras are the way to go
LennyBloke

DrOrloff

Link Posted 11/03/2016 - 21:29
johnriley wrote:
It's my birthday very soon. I mention it every now and again just in case anyone wants to buy me a K-1.

But seriously, if I did buy a K-1, then for a slightly lower price I could buy a K-3 for myself and for Sue.

I think that's a tough call, so can I have some opinions please?

Opinions:

Buy a K1 and consider a time share arrangement?

How important is magnification? For macro and wildlife then the K3's crop factor wins over in decent light.

How important is lower light shooting, higher iso shooting and raising shadows in pp? The K1 will steamroller the K3.

I'm sure that older glass will perform admirably on the K. Nonetheless I still think the K1 will require the lenses designed for it to get the absolute best.

The K1 promises best ever DSLR IQ. Difficult to resist.

For me, K1 100%. I'm just imaging K5IIs quality several years on - should be stunning.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

McGregNi

Link Posted 12/03/2016 - 09:24
John, you've got the new 150-450mm haven't you? That would be plenty of reach on the K1 without too much cropping I'd have thought ...

Regarding macro, am I right in assuming that (with the same lens, say a HD FA 100mm) the focus distances would be smaller to achieve the same frame filling magnification on the K1 than with an aps-c model? Perhaps a consideration if needing flash gear that might not have enough space with the camera so close, or shadows maybe.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 12/03/2016 - 09:29

johnriley

Link Posted 12/03/2016 - 09:37
We're getting some good thoughts from this thread. I'm still mulling it over. As regards macro, Nigel is right that to get the same magnification with FF as with APS-C we would need to move closer. Of course we can't move closer than 1:1 anyway as the lens won't focus any closer. Fortunately flash will not be an issue, as I just love working with available light.
Best regards, John

McGregNi

Link Posted 12/03/2016 - 09:55
So long as the available light is also 'good' light then I also enjoy it ... unfortunately it so often isn't any good, ('pants' seems to have become my most used term for it ) and so often needs a helping hand.

The expected high ISO performance in low light from the K1 will be a reason for many to reach into wallets .... Ironically, it is for better dynamic range at high ISOs when using flash that I would consider it. The idea of having clean dark shadows, and the power enhancing/battery saving effects of flash working at ISO 6400 is very appealing.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

ronniemac

Link Posted 12/03/2016 - 20:17
Do the right thing John, buy a K-1 for Sue.

Trust me on this one.

CMW

Link Posted 12/03/2016 - 20:44
Mmmn, well a birthday is a birthday -- and there a few better excuses in the year for indulgence. But I'd counsel waiting six months. Not because of any price drop but to give time for any teething troubles to be sorted out. I recall the problems with the K5 when it first came out. Most manufacturers have form. Nikon has made glitches discovered by early adopters so predictable that a bookie would be crazy to lay odds.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 12/03/2016 - 22:41
CMW wrote:
Mmmn, well a birthday is a birthday -- and there a few better excuses in the year for indulgence. But I'd counsel waiting six months. Not because of any price drop but to give time for any teething troubles to be sorted out. I recall the problems with the K5 when it first came out. Most manufacturers have form. Nikon has made glitches discovered by early adopters so predictable that a bookie would be crazy to lay odds.

Ja...
Exactly....although you'd think that being 5 or 6 years in development would have ironed out all the flawes...aye that'll be right. ..
Cheers,

Bruce

whatsthisbuttondo

Link Posted 13/03/2016 - 09:29
Had a play with k1 yesterday i now have a pile on table for sale or trade in . Interestingly that book of vouchers they give you for attending can be used with other offers, big lens purchase on a black friday or srs special this year is looking probable.Get the k1 you know you want too

johnriley

Link Posted 22/03/2016 - 16:35
We are just back from the NEC, so a blog a bit later on, but a decision has been made.

I have just ordered a K-3 for Sue. She loved the K-1 and was very impressed by its speed, although she found it a bit heavy. That would have been OK, but the clincher was that she definitely wants a built in flash. So, K-3 it is.

I will order a K-1 plus the 28-105mm when supplies start coming in. I will go full frame and keep a K-5 as backup. I don't need the built in flash. I was really impressed by the feel of the K-1, it fitted perfectly and was amazingly fast. No difficulty making a decision once held in the hands. Hopefully a review copy might find its way to me in due course, but in any event I know I'm buying one.

That means that soon there will be a K20D and a K-5 body up for sale, both of which are in pristine condition. More of that later!
Best regards, John

SteveF

Link Posted 22/03/2016 - 19:48
Have you factored in the cost of additional data storage for the files from that big sensor, John?

microlight2010

Link Posted 22/03/2016 - 22:28
Good on you, John. I'm sure that Sue will enjoy the K-3 as much as I enjoy its recent sibling.
K-3II - HD DA20-40 Limited, HD DA55-300PLM, SMC DA10-17 Fishy, AF201FG Flashy

johnriley

Link Posted 22/03/2016 - 22:33
Quote:
Have you factored in the cost of additional data storage for the files from that big sensor, John?

Data storage won't be a problem, the price per TB is quite low. It wasn't even on the list of things to factor in. I'm much more interested in the ergonomics and efficiency of the camera, plus some other benefits for some things I have in mind.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.