Catch in focus- wow!
Posted 27/06/2011 - 09:13
Link
Just tried this with my k5/k55 f1.8 and it works a treat. Since I have a number of autofocus primes and zooms, I'm thinking I can just leave this on all the time. Am I corrrect in thinking it will do it's magic with MF lenses and not affect normal autofocus operation with my AF lenses (none of them have an AF/MF switch).
Ta
Paul
Ta
Paul
K3ii, DA16-85, DA35mm Limited, FA77mm Limited, 55mm f1.8 K, 135mm f3.5 M, DA300, DA 1.4 HD TC,
DA16-45, Sigma 15mm f2.8. Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro
DA16-45, Sigma 15mm f2.8. Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro
Posted 27/06/2011 - 09:40
Link
Quote:
Another benefit is there is less chance of movement blur from pressing the shutter button
Another benefit is there is less chance of movement blur from pressing the shutter button
Quote:
Really does help with camera shake as you say.
Probably because your also holding the barrel of the lens, which you should be doing anyway, so I cant see it would make any difference.Really does help with camera shake as you say.
If you think about it, it should make the risk of camera shake worse, you would normally crade a lens in your left hand to support it, whereas with catch in focus your only holding the lens with thumb and forfinger (or two)
Posted 27/06/2011 - 14:15
Link
Agreed it's a great feature, but I don't think it is unique to Pentax. Nikon calls it Trap focus or Focus trapping I believe. Dunno about Canon.
It might be obvious to some but I think it's worth noting that if you have AF set to the AF button then you'll need to press that as well, instead of half-pressing the shutter.
It might be obvious to some but I think it's worth noting that if you have AF set to the AF button then you'll need to press that as well, instead of half-pressing the shutter.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 27/06/2011 - 14:39
Link
Sounds good to me too , sadly there's nothing about it in the manual for my K100 , so what models have it ?.... Jeff,,,
Posted 27/06/2011 - 14:42
Link
K20D has it...
Best regards
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Posted 27/06/2011 - 16:15
Link
My K100D Super had it.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 27/06/2011 - 16:44
Link
I've just gone through the Menu on my k100 nothing ... unless it's in a sub menu.... jeff..
Posted 27/06/2011 - 16:47
Link
A quick Google reveals a link from this very site, where someone with a K100D has CIF:
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/catch-in-focus-conundrum-23382
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/catch-in-focus-conundrum-23382
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 27/06/2011 - 16:58
Link
I use CIF extensively on my K20D to supplement my delaminating eyeballs. Once CIF is enabled, there are a few tricks:
* On the K20D, the focus-select lever must be set to AF-S
* On M-type or M42 lenses, put metal tape on the base to safely short-out the AF contacts
* CIF can be used with AF lenses too -- hold the lens-lock button to disable AF
* You can wait for a subject to come into focus, or you can move or focus the camera
* Tripod the camera, set CONTINUOUS DRIVE and CIF, use a wired remote to hold the shutter, aim at a target location -- perfect for capturing birds, bicyclists, burglars
* CIF works with center-weighted or spot metering, so center the subject, crop later
* CIF requires light; it doesn't work if stopped-down beyond f/8 or so
CIF is just fine for street and action work as well as set-shooting and macros. I would find my faster and longer lenses very difficult to use without CIF. Don't leave home without it!
* On the K20D, the focus-select lever must be set to AF-S
* On M-type or M42 lenses, put metal tape on the base to safely short-out the AF contacts
* CIF can be used with AF lenses too -- hold the lens-lock button to disable AF
* You can wait for a subject to come into focus, or you can move or focus the camera
* Tripod the camera, set CONTINUOUS DRIVE and CIF, use a wired remote to hold the shutter, aim at a target location -- perfect for capturing birds, bicyclists, burglars
* CIF works with center-weighted or spot metering, so center the subject, crop later
* CIF requires light; it doesn't work if stopped-down beyond f/8 or so
CIF is just fine for street and action work as well as set-shooting and macros. I would find my faster and longer lenses very difficult to use without CIF. Don't leave home without it!
:
: Too many film & digital cameras & lenses, oh my!
:
: Too many film & digital cameras & lenses, oh my!
:
Posted 27/06/2011 - 17:16
Link
Here's what seems to be a complicated way of using
"Almost Trap Focus" on some Canons
http://eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=ATrapFocus
"Almost Trap Focus" on some Canons
http://eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=ATrapFocus
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3045 posts
16 years
Melbourne,
Oz
Good ideas those smeggy. Might have to put some treat on top of the camera and see what happens!