Another pointless thread

Lubbyman

Link Posted 14/10/2020 - 14:05
womble wrote:
I went to the office yesterday, only the fourth time since March.

Sounds about right for an archaeologist. Aren't you meant to be waste-deep in a muddy hole looking for minute bits of pottery with religious significance?
womble wrote:
It felt like there should be tumbleweed rolling across the campus.

Jeremy Bentham must be feeling lonely. How long before everyone realises that the Open University is the future of higher education? Must be honest, though, I did enjoy my 'university experience' at UCL five decades ago.

Steve

K10D

Link Posted 14/10/2020 - 19:02
Happy birthday Gwyn.

Gwyn

Link Posted 14/10/2020 - 19:16
K10D wrote:
Happy birthday Gwyn.

Thankyou. It has been a good day, even if there wasn't a shiny new Pentax APS-C for me. Maybe they'll have it out by my next birthday.

jeallen01

Link Posted 14/10/2020 - 20:35
gtis wrote:
I put a camera to catch the hedgehog feeding
At night and got 2 foxes instead

All my CCTV cameras ever get are urban foxes, and the local rats, which I had hoped that the foxes would have eliminated by now - but unfortunately not .
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 14/10/2020 - 20:37

Hardgravity

Link Posted 14/10/2020 - 22:40
Had a drive to the Norfolk cost and saw...

Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

K10D

Link Posted 15/10/2020 - 09:11
Understandable as they have been tipped out of the sea.........

Lubbyman

Link Posted 15/10/2020 - 13:35
There's a lot to be said for taking a horizontal approach to life...

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 15/10/2020 - 23:17
Must be good to have not a care in the world.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

LennyBloke

Link Posted 17/10/2020 - 10:31
...is it my imagination or has the price of seeds, plants, etc. sky-rocketed ???

2 years ago I bought a mixed set of Raspberry canes (15) for well under 20 - I've just received an email from the same company offering a similar set for 35 - presumably this is part of Covidflation

I was also considering replacing my rather old and rickety raised beds with some new ones last year but put it off for another year - that was a mistake, the prices of sleepers, boards, etc are so high - I don't want to take out a mortgage to grow my fruit and veg

...Sorry for sounding so Grumpy
LennyBloke

Chrism8

Link Posted 17/10/2020 - 10:37
I read somewhere fairly recently that there is a shortage of timber and the prices have shot up to the trade by 70% because of increased demand, plus much of it is imported as well.

I went to buy some board for a shed roof repair a few months ago and couldn't find any stock anywhere, ended up using a 3.2m length of decking that was in the rafters of the garage, and imo looks better as well and I didn't have to over felt it either
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 17/10/2020 - 11:20
I ordered a wooden curtain pole yesterday. Same pole, same supplier as one bought 4 years ago. Current price is 10% less than what it was.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the price of custard creams in Tesco has gone up since February. That is much more serious than the price of wood (at least for me ).

Steve

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/10/2020 - 12:15
I can't say plants and wood and stuff have gone up much in price here, but they are in short supply in some places. Not as bad now as it was in the spring though.

The price of dogs has gone through the roof. I saw a couple of adverts for what were basically mutts, not even fashionable mutt "breeds" and they wanted 1700 for the pups.
Even the secondhand mutts in the shelters have shot up in price, and most have dubious histories and bite incidents.
That settled it for me. No new dog.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 17/10/2020 - 13:40
Gwyn wrote:
That settled it for me. No new dog.

Somewhere there is a pooch that wants you for its forever home - you just haven't met and gazed lovingly into each other's eyes yet. Wait for the people who acquired Lockdown Dogs to start getting rid of them. Sad to think of it happening, but animal charities are expecting it.

Steve

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/10/2020 - 14:02
Trouble is a lot of those will already have a ton of problems due to people not knowing how to train and treat a dog properly.
Since we are early back in lockdown I doubt there will be any soon.
If one turns up no problem but I am no longer going to actively look I think. The last dog was a hard act to follow, and maybe we waited too long to get another, and have become a) too used to a dogfree life and b) too fussy about the sort of dog we'd like.
We both would like one the same breed as the last but that isn't going to happen, as they are only found in the Canaries.

RobL

Link Posted 17/10/2020 - 14:07
Gwyn wrote:
Trouble is a lot of those will already have a ton of problems due to people not knowing how to train and treat a dog properly.
Since we are early back in lockdown I doubt there will be any soon.
If one turns up no problem but I am no longer going to actively look I think. The last dog was a hard act to follow, and maybe we waited too long to get another, and have become a) too used to a dogfree life and b) too fussy about the sort of dog we'd like.
We both would like one the same breed as the last but that isn't going to happen, as they are only found in the Canaries.

Same situation here, the one thing putting me off now is poop-scooping on walks into little bags and off the lawn. Where does it go when you get home? Revolting.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.