Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Another pointless thread

Benz3ne
Posted 31/07/2020 - 10:57 Link
Gwyn wrote:
Another thought. When did staycation (horrible word that it is) come to mean a holiday in your home country?
I always understood it to mean staying in your own home for your holiday, staying put. If it means staying in your home country then millions do that annually anyway. It isn't anything unusual.

Anyway for those who are off on their hols I hope you have a good time.

I've understood it to mean staying in the same country, but I could be sorely mistaken! I know it's not unusual but since the likes of Butlins started seeing less custom I think it was an effort to glamourise the prospect of staying put (country-wise).
I wholeheartedly agree that it's a grim word.

Funnily, if you search 'Staycation' on Google, you get a box that gives a 'dictionary definition', saying that it's within one's home country. Alongside it, there's a Wikipedia synopsis that says,
'[...] in which an individual or family stays home and participates in leisure activities within driving distance of their home and does not require overnight accommodation'.
Take your pick! The Wikipedia entry also refers to it as a 'holistay', which I think is worst than 'staycation'...
fatspider
Posted 31/07/2020 - 11:14 Link
Quote:

Matt Hancock also confirmed that households in the areas of the north of England affected by the additional lockdown measure cannot visit each other at home – but they can visit households outside the affected areas as long as they observe social distancing.

I was thinking we could have some peace and quiet this Saturday, looks like the Grandkids will be coming over from Bradford after all
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
JAK
Posted 31/07/2020 - 12:55 Link
fatspider wrote:
Quote:

Matt Hancock also confirmed that households in the areas of the north of England affected by the additional lockdown measure cannot visit each other at home – but they can visit households outside the affected areas as long as they observe social distancing.

I was thinking we could have some peace and quiet this Saturday, looks like the Grandkids will be coming over from Bradford after all

That's wrong:

I live in this area. Can I meet friends and family outside of the area in their homes?
You should not travel outside of this area to meet people in their homes or garden.
link
John K
Edited by JAK: 31/07/2020 - 12:56
Lubbyman
Posted 31/07/2020 - 13:42 Link
Benz3ne wrote:
I think it's going to be Thorncombe Farm but I'm not absolutely certain...

That's only a couple of miles from me. Nice area, plenty to do for all ages and inclinations (if allowed by HMG...). Lots of photo opportunities if your domestic circumstances permit . PM me if it's your first time and/or you'd like some suggestions.

Benz3ne wrote:
Haha, well I hope you can tolerate us foreigners from Wales! Lock up your wives, daughters... and sheep...

Wife is well capable of fending for herself (lots of experience from having me hanging around for 40+ years ). Daughters left home years ago and off my hands. That just leaves the sheep... plenty around, it will seem like home for you!

Steve
Benz3ne
Posted 31/07/2020 - 15:29 Link
Lubbyman wrote:
Benz3ne wrote:
I think it's going to be Thorncombe Farm but I'm not absolutely certain...

That's only a couple of miles from me. Nice area, plenty to do for all ages and inclinations (if allowed by HMG...). Lots of photo opportunities if your domestic circumstances permit . PM me if it's your first time and/or you'd like some suggestions.

Benz3ne wrote:
Haha, well I hope you can tolerate us foreigners from Wales! Lock up your wives, daughters... and sheep...

Wife is well capable of fending for herself (lots of experience from having me hanging around for 40+ years ). Daughters left home years ago and off my hands. That just leaves the sheep... plenty around, it will seem like home for you!

Steve

Ah very nice! I'll be certain to drop you a PM asking for any/all suggestions on nearby activities. I read today that it's reasonably close to the Jurassic Coast so part of me wants to spend some time down there trying, and undoubtedly failing, to find fossils. Thanks!
vic cross
Posted 31/07/2020 - 15:35 Link
Ben they tell me there is a leisure centre somewhere in Cymru which is 6 sheep tied to a post in the town square.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Benz3ne
Posted 31/07/2020 - 15:40 Link
vic cross wrote:
Ben they tell me there is a leisure centre somewhere in Cymru which is 6 sheep tied to a post in the town square.
CHEERS Vic.

WHAT?!

Why am I only learning about this now?!
RobL
Posted 31/07/2020 - 18:00 Link
News just in that the south-west has the highest infection rate in the country now due to thousands of prats smothering the beaches like a Biblical plague of locusts. Well that’s just great, I hope I can visit my socially distanced holiday caravan in Cornwall again some time soon. If only they had been able to take their Covid-ridden bodies abroad!

Sorry, I am in a foul mood watching my pension pot diminish faster than a leaky bucket thanks in large part to the US President’s masterful managing of the US economy.
Edited by RobL: 31/07/2020 - 18:04
Lubbyman
Posted 31/07/2020 - 18:43 Link
RobL wrote:
watching my pension pot diminish faster than a leaky bucket thanks in large part to the US President’s masterful managing of the US economy.

Yes, not a good situation to be in. I was in the US on Black Monday (?) 1987 when stock markets around the world crashed. Lots of US colleagues were in very bad moods and those of a certain age were rapidly revising their plans for retirement. No crazy President then, either. Not sure whether any cause was ever found.

Steve
vic cross
Posted 01/08/2020 - 01:13 Link
Actually Ben I heard every welsh village has one. I worked for a firm in Llandudno Junction for 29 years but I never saw any.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Hardgravity
Posted 01/08/2020 - 12:27 Link
just recieved an e-mail from our chimney sweep.

Due to locdown and them comming from out of the area our chimney will just have to wait a bit longer before it's swept.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
JAK
Posted 02/08/2020 - 01:49 Link
Hardgravity wrote:
just recieved an e-mail from our chimney sweep.

Due to locdown and them comming from out of the area our chimney will just have to wait a bit longer before it's swept.

Perhaps Father Christmas will oblige in a few months time!
John K
RobL
Posted 03/08/2020 - 21:17 Link
More fun with the iMac, yesterday it completely screwed itself up so a trip today to the "local" Apple store 20 miles away and hoiking a 27" computer into a shopping centre. Good news, repair completely free. Less good news, it is now unable to access the "time machine" on which everything including software is saved so laboriously downloading everything again. Worst aspect: phone the store and you get an automated voice saying "I can understand whole sentences!" Unfortunately not in the rather ripe language I had resorted to, and never of course to the store in question. A whole day spent and everything almost back to normal. So how was your day?
Lubbyman
Posted 03/08/2020 - 21:30 Link
RobL wrote:
So how was your day?

Pulled a muscle in my neck . Painful. Next question??

Steve
Hardgravity
Posted 04/08/2020 - 09:00 Link
RobL wrote:
So how was your day?

Yesterday?

Not bad, managed a couple of beers in T'bar T'at
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.