Another pointless thread

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 10:28
Lubbyman wrote:
Since half of the Netherlands is below sea level and water flows downhill, why doesn't the below sea-level bit become a huge pond when it rains?

Steve

I remember going to New Orleans in 2005 for a conference. Our informative taxi driver (informal tour guide) asked us why bodies were buried above ground for a quiz on the way to the hotel, the answer was that because a lot of New Orleans was below sea level, what is left won't contaminate the water if ever New Orleans was flooded.

Dutch colleague retorted - we don't have that problem in the Netherlands!! Direct as always!

Of course, this was a few months before Katrina.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Last Edited by ilovesaabs on 19/06/2020 - 10:28

Hardgravity

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 10:28
I give in!!

I bought a new (cheap) breadmaker from Argos only a few weeks before lock down and the rush to get them. The problem is it's naff!.

I've tried ever way I know but can't get a good dough or loaf out of the damn thing.

Return it I hear you shout, easier said than done.

It was bought from a main store which is closed, the local 'small' outlet has a sign saying no returns, the helpline isn't!

I intended taking it to the nearest store and just getting a refund/credit note but as it is now 4 months old...

GRRRRR!!!!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 19/06/2020 - 10:29

jeallen01

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 11:35
HG:

Moral: read some product reviews before you buy stuff like that - I generally look at those from WHICH, which has tested a lot of things, and on Amazon but disregard the "glowing" ones (and I take a good look at the very negative ones as they are usually from people who have had "bad experiences" with products).
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 12:37
When we bought our (not cheap) breadmaker 15 years ago the bread was very good. After a few months though we had more 'misses' than 'hits' until the situation deteriorated further and we were unable to make anything edible,

After much experimenting with settings and thinking about returning the machine, we discovered that the source of the problem was the flour. Up to that point we had used just one brand of premium bread flour but something had changed and the quality of the flour was now in question. We switched to another brand, Carrs, and we have had great bread ever since.

Mind you, a few years ago Mrs LTL bought for a Christmas present a bread baking course and I have been making bread by hand ever since. Any 'misses' have been due to the baker and not the ingredients. The breadmaker now sits in the corner of the kitchen and sulks

I'm making Marmite bread this weekend. It really is just bread with Marmite in it. Simple, easy to make and delicious.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

JAK

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 13:14
Hardgravity wrote:
I give in!!

I bought a new (cheap) breadmaker from Argos only a few weeks before lock down and the rush to get them. The problem is it's naff!.

I've tried ever way I know but can't get a good dough or loaf out of the damn thing.

Return it I hear you shout, easier said than done.

It was bought from a main store which is closed, the local 'small' outlet has a sign saying no returns, the helpline isn't!

I intended taking it to the nearest store and just getting a refund/credit note but as it is now 4 months old...

GRRRRR!!!!

Nothing wrong with cheap Argos breadmakers if you know what you're doing.

John K
Last Edited by JAK on 19/06/2020 - 13:14

Lubbyman

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 13:21
Same flour, same yeast, same recipe, same bread-making machine, same Mrs Lubbyman in charge of the machine. Usually the result is a good loaf of breaf. Sometimes, though, it's Dwarf Bread (see Pratchett, T., the Discworld novels). No reason that we've discovered. There are things in this world that are destined to remain a mystery.

Steve

JAK

Link Posted 19/06/2020 - 13:26
Lubbyman wrote:
Same flour, same yeast, same recipe, same bread-making machine, same Mrs Lubbyman in charge of the machine. Usually the result is a good loaf of breaf. Sometimes, though, it's Dwarf Bread (see Pratchett, T., the Discworld novels). No reason that we've discovered. There are things in this world that are destined to remain a mystery.

Steve

The room and/or water temperature either too hot or too cold can be a problem. Could that be an unconsidered variable? Also older flour can need aerating (sieve it or shake it.)
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 19/06/2020 - 13:28

RobL

Link Posted 21/06/2020 - 11:02

bforbes

Link Posted 21/06/2020 - 12:11
I think the nights are starting to cut in
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

Lubbyman

Link Posted 21/06/2020 - 12:44
How many non-essential shopping days to Christmas?

Gwyn

Link Posted 21/06/2020 - 12:58
His Nibs just got a six pack.

Texelse Brewery six pack that is, for father's day.

Lubbyman wrote:
How many non-essential shopping days to Christmas?

Not as many as I would like. Downhill all the way from here.

fatspider

Link Posted 21/06/2020 - 13:31
I usually get a bottle of Talisker from my son but his contract ended just before lockdown and he's been unable to find anything else, I also get one for my birthday earlier in the month but that never materialized either

Hopefully he'll be gainfully employed by Christmas and I'll end up with three
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Last Edited by fatspider on 21/06/2020 - 13:32

Gwyn

Link Posted 21/06/2020 - 15:30
Let's hope he finds a new job soon HG, whther or not you get your Talisker!
My eldest is still being paid by the Dutch government, but whether he has a future in what he has been doing for the last 24 years in anyone's guess. No sign they government will offer them any extra support, so lots of ships will be going for scrap over the next couple of years .

Hardgravity

Link Posted 21/06/2020 - 17:32
Good luck on the Talisker 'spider.

As for the btread, I've been making bread for over 20 years now and never struggled with machines, this one has me beat though and is good only for 'battle muffins'..

I tried again recently and the only thing that seems consistent is the temperature in the machine while prooving. It's very warm compared to other machines I've had.

As soon as the main Argos is open again it's going back.

My head hurts, it must be beer o'clock
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Gwyn

Link Posted 22/06/2020 - 12:08
His Nibs just got another sixpack, this time from the Rock City brewery. It includes a can of All Together Now, a world wide IPA brew, developed during Covid in support of hospitality workers.

Clear skies, warm weather might go looking for noctilucent clouds and Zeevonk (bio luminescence) tonight if we haven't drunk all the beer .
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.