Another pointless thread
Posted 21/10/2019 - 23:40
Link
pschlute wrote:
It seems today it is is popular to re-write history, but those officers and ratings who gave their lives that day did not have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.
Certainly. I also drank to the memory of Collingwood, Villeneuve, Gravina and all those who fought and died on either side.
It seems today it is is popular to re-write history, but those officers and ratings who gave their lives that day did not have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
Posted 21/10/2019 - 23:46
Link
Aitch53 wrote:
Unfortunately, I only have some Twin Barrel Aged, XO, Bajan Estate Rum.
Will that do?
Sounds better than what I have! If one has read James Norman Hall's "Doctor Dogbody's Leg", one would choose Old Port Royal.Unfortunately, I only have some Twin Barrel Aged, XO, Bajan Estate Rum.
Will that do?
Sippers or gulpers?
Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
Posted 22/10/2019 - 09:57
Link
OldTaffy wrote:
Sippers or gulpers?
Martin
I'd say it was a sipper.Aitch53 wrote:
Unfortunately, I only have some Twin Barrel Aged, XO, Bajan Estate Rum.
Will that do?
Sounds better than what I have! If one has read James Norman Hall's "Doctor Dogbody's Leg", one would choose Old Port Royal.Unfortunately, I only have some Twin Barrel Aged, XO, Bajan Estate Rum.
Will that do?
Sippers or gulpers?
Martin
Very sweet though.
SteveH!
Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Posted 22/10/2019 - 12:01
Link
Gwyn wrote:
Sounds like a pain! Not quiteas bad as both my back up drive and my computer failing within days of each other, before I could get a new backup drive and backup, but close. Luckily the photos were on another smaller drive as well, but I lost everything else.
Good luck with sorting it out. they say patience is a virtue!
I now have triple/quadruple back-up locations (although one is off-line ATM until I find time to fix it) for all my important stuff - a local USB hard drive that is generally disconnected, 4-bay USB drive attached to a "local" NAS in the same room, one of the drives in that NAS, and a 4-bay USB drive attached to another "off-site" NAS (it's in my garage at the end of the garden!).Sounds like a pain! Not quiteas bad as both my back up drive and my computer failing within days of each other, before I could get a new backup drive and backup, but close. Luckily the photos were on another smaller drive as well, but I lost everything else.
Good luck with sorting it out. they say patience is a virtue!
So I still have 2-3 separate backup locations working ATM
OTOH, all that backup kit cost a fair amount - probably £500-600, but worth it for the peace-of-mind it brings.
This was done after I lost almost everything (except the photos!) on the PC when trying to clone an SSD to replace the HDD in that PC as that corrupted that HDD
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Posted 23/10/2019 - 20:37
Link
With 2 months still to go, I've just had a close encounter with artificial Christmas trees, artificial reindeer, plastic Father Christmas, strings of Christmas lights and gaudy baubles. Is this a record?
It was at a garden centre, of course. I went to buy a real plant, but needless to say they didn't have what I wanted.
Steve
It was at a garden centre, of course. I went to buy a real plant, but needless to say they didn't have what I wanted.
Steve
Posted 23/10/2019 - 22:28
Link
Feeling smug as Amateur Photographer magazine published a letter I wrote as "Letter of the Week". I fear I've won another micro-SD card I have no use for, but never mind!
K.
K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 24/10/2019 - 08:22
Link
Lubbyman wrote:
With 2 months still to go, I've just had a close encounter with artificial Christmas trees, artificial reindeer, plastic Father Christmas, strings of Christmas lights and gaudy baubles. Is this a record?
It was at a garden centre, of course. I went to buy a real plant, but needless to say they didn't have what I wanted.
Steve
I’m in a hotel with a cheesy blue Christmas tree in reception. Surely not time to dig out last year’s garden centre purchase of an accordion playing singing Santa yet?
With 2 months still to go, I've just had a close encounter with artificial Christmas trees, artificial reindeer, plastic Father Christmas, strings of Christmas lights and gaudy baubles. Is this a record?
It was at a garden centre, of course. I went to buy a real plant, but needless to say they didn't have what I wanted.
Steve
Posted 24/10/2019 - 09:45
Link
One garden centre here was in full Christmas mode after the kids went back to school in mid August!
With the clocks going back this weekend I expect more Christmas stuff around, though we have to get through Sinterklaas first. The supermarkets and most shops concentrate on that before going in to only a couple of weeks of full on Christmas.
The Christmas lights are up on my town, but not yet lit - that is next weekend.
With the clocks going back this weekend I expect more Christmas stuff around, though we have to get through Sinterklaas first. The supermarkets and most shops concentrate on that before going in to only a couple of weeks of full on Christmas.
The Christmas lights are up on my town, but not yet lit - that is next weekend.
Posted 24/10/2019 - 09:53
Link
RobL wrote:
I’m in a hotel with a cheesy blue Christmas tree in reception. Surely not time to dig out last year’s garden centre purchase of an accordion playing singing Santa yet?
There was a discussion on the Infinite Monkey Cage recently about how you mark dumps of really long lived radioactive waste, on the principle that thousands of years in the future, language may have changed so much that signs may be impenetrable for the inhabitants of the planet by then. Apparently, the decision was to mark them with something that looked totally unnatural, to give the a clue it was something dodgy - they chose a glowing blue tree, as something not found in nature. I’m in a hotel with a cheesy blue Christmas tree in reception. Surely not time to dig out last year’s garden centre purchase of an accordion playing singing Santa yet?
Is the hotel built over a suspicious concrete bunker?
SteveH!
Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Posted 26/10/2019 - 08:15
Link
womble wrote:
Feeling smug as Amateur Photographer magazine published a letter I wrote as "Letter of the Week". I fear I've won another micro-SD card I have no use for, but never mind!
K.
Belated congrats Kris, why a 'MICRO' sd and not a card of choice?Feeling smug as Amateur Photographer magazine published a letter I wrote as "Letter of the Week". I fear I've won another micro-SD card I have no use for, but never mind!
K.
And belated Happy Birthday Gwyn.
Just catching up after the latest visit to France..
I love this retirement thing and being able to take 3 weeks at a rime.
Not taken with a Pentax, but...


..what more can I say
Cheers, HG
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
Posted 26/10/2019 - 10:47
Link
Hardgravity wrote:
And belated Happy Birthday Gwyn.
Just catching up after the latest visit to France..
I love this retirement thing and being able to take 3 weeks at a rime.
Not taken with a Pentax, but...


..what more can I say
Somebody probably gave AP a box of them that they're slowly getting rid of...
womble wrote:
Feeling smug as Amateur Photographer magazine published a letter I wrote as "Letter of the Week". I fear I've won another micro-SD card I have no use for, but never mind!
K.
Belated congrats Kris, why a 'MICRO' sd and not a card of choice?Feeling smug as Amateur Photographer magazine published a letter I wrote as "Letter of the Week". I fear I've won another micro-SD card I have no use for, but never mind!
K.
And belated Happy Birthday Gwyn.
Just catching up after the latest visit to France..
I love this retirement thing and being able to take 3 weeks at a rime.
Not taken with a Pentax, but...


..what more can I say
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 26/10/2019 - 22:06
Link
Wlle done Kris! I'm sure some one can use the memory card. Christmas is coming
Ratbag HG! Good to see what it looks like at the top though. I hope you had a fabulous trip.
Trying not to go to France next year so it may be a while before I get to enjoy that view.
Thanks for the birthday wishes. His Nibs finally took the hint and bought me a present yesterday .
Ratbag HG! Good to see what it looks like at the top though. I hope you had a fabulous trip.
Trying not to go to France next year so it may be a while before I get to enjoy that view.
Thanks for the birthday wishes. His Nibs finally took the hint and bought me a present yesterday .
Posted 27/10/2019 - 15:23
Link
Thanks for the birthday wishes. His Nibs finally took the hint and bought me a present yesterday .[/quote]New camera Gwyn
Neil
Neil
cheers Neil
pentax k3
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 pentax1.4xhd converter
Panasonic Dmc Fz200
pentax k3
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 pentax1.4xhd converter
Panasonic Dmc Fz200
Posted 27/10/2019 - 18:20
Link
Fat chance
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2978 posts
18 years
South Dorset
I've just woken up to the fact that it's Trafalgar Day today.