Another pointless thread

Gwyn

Link Posted 16/07/2019 - 14:50
Tbh I would go to Lofoten instead of the North Cape - it is a bit of an expensive con imho, but I know it is on many people's bucket list.
If you do head up that way make a diversion to Harlingen, and have a cuppa! (or a glass of the local brew )

We are just back fro a few days wandering through the German countryside, getting hopelessly lost as they seem to have closed half the roads and forgotten to put in diversions.
We were going to the Vosges, cutting down through the Eifel to avoid Belgium, but His Nibs saw Worms on the map and remembered that nearly 40 years ago we went to the Felsenmeer near there on our way home from a camping holiday in Munich. So he decided we were going there instead.
Ha! What a waste of a couple of days. By the time we found our way through all the diversions (I hadn't packed the Germany maps thinking we were going to France, and Google Maps was useless, sending us on Forest roads at times) it was raining hard so we found a place for the night and went back in the morning.
He did exactly what I knew he would do , and said "I can't climb that!" so we turned around and left.
After another day of cold and drizzle he decided we would head home again. Several more diversions and road closures and we have made it.

vic cross

Link Posted 16/07/2019 - 15:58
Going back to the gardening bit. Did anyone see Chelsea this year on TV.? Lots of weeds. Using the latest "IN" words. "(ON TREND)" Our garden is right on trend. LOTS OF WEEDS. It seems they are the in thing for the wild life.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Gwyn

Link Posted 16/07/2019 - 16:04
A weed is a plant in the wrong place!

We have fox and cubs everywhere but didn't know what it was until it appeared in a show garden last year and my SIL who had been to Chelsea was able to identify it. It's a weed apparently. Or a wild flower depending on your point of view. I like it with it's cheery orange flowers and when it gets out of hand I just pull it out.

Ivy on the otherhand is regarded as a plant but in my garden is absolutley a weed, as is the aforementioned goldenrod.

bforbes

Link Posted 16/07/2019 - 16:17
Gwyn wrote:
A weed is a plant in the wrong place!

A garden is a field in the wrong place
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

Gwyn

Link Posted 17/07/2019 - 11:09
I never wanted a garden but I have ended up with one which more resembles a bombsite than a field .
At least I could mow a field. Or plough it.

K10D

Link Posted 17/07/2019 - 19:53
Gwyn wrote:
I never wanted

Takes me straight back to a Bahrain coffee shop where I fist heard this: link and then bought the CD.

The Dutch do it again.........

Thank you for that.
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

Hardgravity

Link Posted 28/07/2019 - 18:09
Gwyn wrote:
Tbh I would go to Lofoten instead of the North Cape - it is a bit of an expensive con imho, but I know it is on many people's bucket list.
If you do head up that way make a diversion to Harlingen, and have a cuppa! (or a glass of the local brew )

I've seen far too many Youtube videos of people having an 'ADVENTURE' riding to Nord Kapp, but they all start at a ferry port, usually only a couple of hundred miles on the new smooth roads.

I intend doing it by myself, riding all the way and stopping where ever I want.

But that's in the far future, next trip will be in October. I missed out on some wonderfull roads in Provence so will be going back to visit Mont Ventoux, Le Gorge de Verdon, Sisteron and more.

Mrs HG is flying out to Menton for a week and I'll join her there before going across to Nimes and then north.

Planing has started...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Gwyn

Link Posted 28/07/2019 - 18:23
Sounds a wonderful trip HG. One of our favourite areas with the camper. Enjoy the planning and the trip .

We may end up there again in September, depending on the weather when we set off. It's there or Denmark and maybe southern Sweden, but we need a wodge of dosh for those two, just as we would for Norway, which is still a wish list destination, despite going three times by boat. No planning yet.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 11/08/2019 - 19:58
Southern Sweden has some lovely places, and the swedes are just so nice.

And Denmark has a place for me, either Copenhagen, a wonderfull city, or Roskilde.

Save up and enjoy Scandinavia Gwyn..

...after a little late warmth in Provence.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Gwyn

Link Posted 11/08/2019 - 20:50
The way the weather is now Provence looks like winning, but who knows what it will be in September?
We'll see. Also thinking about selling the camper, before the bottom drops out of the market, but I am reluctant to let her go.
Back in the UK again early October for a reunion in Abingdon. Luckily there are a couple of Britstops nearby.
Falling pound does not do a lot for our budget as chunks of the pension are UK ones.

RobL

Link Posted 12/08/2019 - 07:54
Gwyn wrote:
The way the weather is now Provence looks like winning, but who knows what it will be in September?
We'll see. Also thinking about selling the camper, before the bottom drops out of the market, but I am reluctant to let her go.

Why is the market about to drop in campervans? Maybe I will finally be able to afford one.

Gwyn

Link Posted 12/08/2019 - 15:00
RobL wrote:

Why is the market about to drop in campervans? Maybe I will finally be able to afford one.

Because they run on diesel, and an increasing number of places have enviroment zones which exclude old diesels. Ours is OK for now (has both a German 4 and a French 3 sticker), but I wonder for how much longer, and I wonder about the price of diesel. Camper vans are thirsty beasts. Diesel is getting more expensive and going out of favour, and so will old campervans I'm afraid.
Doesn't help that ours has a notorious Ford engine in it (2.2 TDCi) and, even though we have never had a problem with it, it will be tricky to sell I suspect. The problem only became well known just after we'd bought ours of course. We'll see. Maybe hang to it for another year, maybe sell it and spend the proceeds on a gardener!

RobL

Link Posted 13/08/2019 - 17:33
Gwyn wrote:
RobL wrote:

Because they run on diesel, and an increasing number of places have enviroment zones which exclude old diesels. Ours is OK for now (has both a German 4 and a French 3 sticker), but I wonder for how much longer, and I wonder about the price of diesel. Camper vans are thirsty beasts. Diesel is getting more expensive and going out of favour, and so will old campervans I'm afraid.
Doesn't help that ours has a notorious Ford engine in it (2.2 TDCi) and, even though we have never had a problem with it, it will be tricky to sell I suspect. The problem only became well known just after we'd bought ours of course. We'll see. Maybe hang to it for another year, maybe sell it and spend the proceeds on a gardener!

Ah I see, that will save me getting conned! I suppose the newer ones have that looblue additive, I just bought a car with one of those because the only manual ones now have a petrol engine from a lawn mower.

pschlute

Link Posted 13/08/2019 - 17:40
RobL wrote:

Ah I see, that will save me getting conned! I suppose the newer ones have that looblue additive, I just bought a car with one of those because the only manual ones now have a petrol engine from a lawn mower.

I have only ever driven automatic lawn mowers. Are the manuals more sporty ?

My little Honda has three positions on the throttle......

choke for starting

then a picture of a tortoise at one end and a hare at the other. So Japanese.
Peter

My Flickr page

Lubbyman

Link Posted 13/08/2019 - 22:21
pschlute wrote:

a tortoise at one end and a hare at the other. So Japanese.

Japanese? Sounds all Greek to me.

Steve
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.