Another pointless thread

Hardgravity

Link Posted 09/11/2019 - 14:03
I know we're a little late but, tonight is bonfire night...

The kids are coming around for a few drinks and some supper, hopefully they'll bring some fireworks with them.

We're also celebrating my son and his girl friend's new house. After far too long living in rented housing they finaly went ahead and bought.

It's not big but it's theirs!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Gwyn

Link Posted 09/11/2019 - 14:50
Enjoy your bonfire night HG. Nearly two months to go until fireworks here. They don't even go on sale until the end of December, but there have been a few bangs already here .
I hope it is dry for you. It was supposed to be sunny here today but it is dreich instead.

Congratulations to your son on his first own home. I hope they will be very happy there.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 09/11/2019 - 15:56
Thanks Gwyn.

The only downside for us is travelling to his will almost take as long as travelling to Honesty's..

She's in Lancaster while he'll be in Halifax. Less than half the distance but all on slow urban roads.
Cheers, HG

RobL

Link Posted 09/11/2019 - 16:26
Just been for some cultural improvement at the Magnum Manifesto exhibition, currently at Compton Verney a couple of miles from home. As an adjunct they asked for photos on themes like community, individuality and so on which are rotated for the duration of the exhibition, and currently two of mine are up. So, I can now claim to have exhibited in a prestigious art gallery alongside Cartier-Bresson, Robert Capa et al!

Hardgravity

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 16:59
Nice one Rob, sorry it's a little late but Gremlins ate my PC and I've had to start again..

...I love Microsoft!

This will probably be the last time I'll be able to re-install Win7 as it'll soon be unsupported.

They only want our money!
Cheers, HG

Gwyn

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 17:52
SHould have gone for the free upgrade to 10 when it was on offer. A far more stable OS than 7, and easy to use . Or go for Ubuntu or another Linus OS.

Hope things weren't too soggy for you HG. We were thinking of a quick visit to Yorkshire/Derbyshire to see a couple of brothers after getting a great ferry offer, but one look at the weather and we decided to save our money.

jeallen01

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 19:20
Gwyn wrote:
SHould have gone for the free upgrade to 10 when it was on offer. A far more stable OS than 7, and easy to use . Or go for Ubuntu or another Linus OS.

Hope things weren't too soggy for you HG. We were thinking of a quick visit to Yorkshire/Derbyshire to see a couple of brothers after getting a great ferry offer, but one look at the weather and we decided to save our money.

FREE upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 is STILL available - see here.

This is a genuine Microsoft site and I (and many others) have used this method quite a few times since the "official" end of the free upgrade period - works fine and few problems (although, on a couple of occasions I have had to repeat the process before it worked completely successfully.)! All you need is a genuine W7 or 8.1 licence (which is automatically checked when you start the upgrade, so no need to go searching for your Product Key!) and some time and patience.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 19/11/2019 - 19:33

JAK

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 19:45
Gwyn wrote:
SHould have gone for the free upgrade to 10 when it was on offer. A far more stable OS than 7, and easy to use . Or go for Ubuntu or another Linus OS

Bear in mind that Win10 updates itself often which can be a nuisance and cause loss of personalised settings and program functionality. I'd try Win10 on another PC before consigning the superior Win7 to the bin. If you have 8.1 it may be worthwhile updating.
FWIW I have two desktop PCs, one on 7 and a newer one which came with 10. The 7 seems more reliable and less hassle as I can choose what and when to update.
With 10 you have to do what you're told by MS whether you like it or not.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 19/11/2019 - 19:48

jeallen01

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 19:58
JAK wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
SHould have gone for the free upgrade to 10 when it was on offer. A far more stable OS than 7, and easy to use . Or go for Ubuntu or another Linus OS

Bear in mind that Win10 updates itself often which can be a nuisance and cause loss of personalised settings and program functionality. I'd try Win10 on another PC before consigning the superior Win7 to the bin. If you have 8.1 it may be worthwhile updating.
FWIW I have two desktop PCs, one on 7 and a newer one which came with 10. The 7 seems more reliable and less hassle as I can choose what and when to update.

JAK

You make quite a few good points about W10, and I agree with most of them - but there are ways around quite a few of the issues (especially if you have W10 Pro).

Personally I have switched OFF most (hopefully virtually all) of the Microsoft "spying" using the free O&O "ShutUp10" (search for that and you will find it easily ), and you now have more scope to delay the automatic updates.

Generally, it works pretty well, but it can be a bit of a steep learning curve from W7 - especially if you want to get rid of a lot of the c**p that comes with it. IObit "Uninstaller Free" is great for doing that - another search will find that App for you - and I use it regularly to clean up the system and remove that unwanted stuff. Works with previous versions of Windows as well.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 19/11/2019 - 20:00

JAK

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 21:23
jeallen01 wrote:
JAK wrote:
Quote:

JAK

You make quite a few good points about W10, and I agree with most of them - but there are ways around quite a few of the issues (especially if you have W10 Pro).

Personally I have switched OFF most (hopefully virtually all) of the Microsoft "spying" using the free O&O "ShutUp10" (search for that and you will find it easily ), and you now have more scope to delay the automatic updates.

Generally, it works pretty well, but it can be a bit of a steep learning curve from W7 - especially if you want to get rid of a lot of the c**p that comes with it. IObit "Uninstaller Free" is great for doing that - another search will find that App for you - and I use it regularly to clean up the system and remove that unwanted stuff. Works with previous versions of Windows as well.

Thanks for the W10 suggestions. I've used 'Spybot Anti-Beacon' to do some of that but when the next update comes along it needs sorting out again. - re-removing the c**p. It inevitably resets the default programs to those if its own choosing having deleted those you want to use. I'd go s so far as saying it works like a spyware infected PC (it isn't though!)
Can't think why anyone would choose to downgrade to Win10 from 7.
John K

bforbes

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 21:29
JAK wrote:
jeallen01 wrote:
Quote:
Gwyn wrote:

JAK

Thanks for the W10 suggestions. I've used 'Spybot Anti-Beacon' to do some of that but when the next update comes along it needs sorting out again. - re-removing the c**p. It inevitably resets the default programs to those if its own choosing having deleted those you want to use. I'd go s so far as saying it works like a spyware infected PC (it isn't though!)
Can't think why anyone would choose to downgrade to Win10 from 7.

This is getting far too sensible for the Pointless thread
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

jeallen01

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 21:33
JAK

I have links to ShutUp10 & Uninstaller Free on the Desktops - makes things a little easier.

BTW: I don't just go with ShutUp10's basic Recommendations, I also switch OFF quite a few more that I don't need/want/like!

There's also another link that I need to "re-find" in a day or two to delete more of the unnecessary "deep" MS stuff - will try to remember to post it here when I do.
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 19/11/2019 - 21:37

jeallen01

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 21:43
Barrie

So, where else on this forum would you (OR ANYONE ELSE!) suggest that we discuss subjects like this as I think there is probably a "need" for somewhere here where we can do that?
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 19/11/2019 - 21:54

bforbes

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 21:57
Hi John, I'm not being serious here. Just this thread started with a post about a pile of wood, if you see what I mean.

I'd be tempted to go for "General Digital Photography chat Forum", "For any digital matters not concerning Pentax Digital SLRs or Optios. Image-editing, printing, scanning etc."
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes

jeallen01

Link Posted 19/11/2019 - 22:09
bforbes wrote:
...I'd be tempted to go for "General Digital Photography chat Forum", "For any digital matters not concerning Pentax Digital SLRs or Optios. Image-editing, printing, scanning etc."

Well, I'd "go" that suggestion - so who is with Barrie and moi-meme??

If you are, then please start the thread (no need to go into "specifics!")!!
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 19/11/2019 - 22:12
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.