Another pointless thread

RobL

Link Posted 12/05/2019 - 08:30
[quote:Scandinavians speak the best English.[/quote]
Well couldnt be worse than some of the English! You know, like, the ones that like dont know there is a t in the alphabet, like.

Gwyn

Link Posted 12/05/2019 - 08:47
That was my point RobL.

RobL

Link Posted 12/05/2019 - 14:02
Gwyn wrote:
That was my point RobL.

Not quick on the uptake, me! My Norwegian pal astounds the Lebanese with his comprehensive vocabulary of street and profane Arabic on his frequent visits there. Restaurants and taxi drivers cannot believe it when Mustapha turns out to be a tall blonde Scandinavian. His English is spot on as well.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 15/05/2019 - 14:18
Swede's speak good eEnglish, which is a bu**er when you'rs trying to learn Swedish..

...Benny has a habit of going off at a tangent and explaining the various tenses etc when I try a little Swedish..

...we usually end up in a bar anyway so any learning soon gets forsotten!

Skol!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 15/05/2019 - 14:18

vic cross

Link Posted 15/05/2019 - 14:35
Many moons ago (1953) in the scouts we spent two weeks with a scout troupe in Haugesund one week in their homes and one week camping. We learned a little "Norsk" and even recorded a song. "Som Amanda ifra Haugesund" which was played on the radio. I had a 12inch 78rpm of the recording for many years but it got broken. YES it was 12inches and 78rpm. Most unusual. Now when on holiday in non English speaking countries and we get bothered by people trying to sell us anything and everything while trying to relax I just say "Snacker Du Norsk" and they go away because they don't understand.
CHEERS Vic.
P.S. For work I travelled to over 50 countries in 39 years and learned to say Good morning/hello and thank you in quite a few of them. Just good manners.
Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Last Edited by vic cross on 15/05/2019 - 14:38

Algernon

Link Posted 15/05/2019 - 15:00
Sounds like a Record Vic! .... Well Done!

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

vic cross

Link Posted 15/05/2019 - 16:00
Cheers Algi. I also travelled to Lancashire once or twice.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 15/05/2019 - 16:14
It should be compulsary to learn the basics in the local language when visiting forn parts..

...after all, how would you ask for a beer?

En ol tack...

Ein beer bitte

Une bier s'vous plait

I'll have a Harrier

and so on...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

johnriley

Link Posted 15/05/2019 - 17:38
Once upon a time Vic, all records were 10 or 12 inches and 78rpm. Apart from the smaller Eclipse and Broadcast label ones. Very early 12 inch records were one sided and 80rpm. I wonder why the standard settled on 78 rpm?

Who sheds a tear for the wax cylinder now?
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 15/05/2019 - 17:39

Algernon

Link Posted 15/05/2019 - 17:43
I'm OK if I ever visit Scotland ........ Got my own mug!

https://papyrusgifts.co.uk/products/still-game-pint-glass

For fans of Still Game the final series is now on iPlayer only shown in Scotland earlier this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qgl8/episodes/player
--

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 15/05/2019 - 17:48

Lubbyman

Link Posted 15/05/2019 - 19:17
johnriley wrote:
Very early 12 inch records were one sided and 80rpm. I wonder why the standard settled on 78 rpm?

According to Yale University Library website "Earliest speeds of rotation varied widely, but by 1910 most records were recorded at about 78 to 80 rpm. In 1925, 78.26 rpm was chosen as a standard for motorized phonographs, because it was suitable for most existing records, and was easily achieved using a standard 3600-rpm motor and 46-tooth gear (78.26 = 3600/46).". Which begs the question, what's so special about a gear with 46 teeth?

A few years ago, before 'Digitise Your Record Collection' ads appeared in magazines, I wanted to digitise some 78rpm private recordings made by my father's band around 1950 (mostly recorded in back rooms of pubs). The only place to buy a cheap record player cabable of 78rpm was from an online DJ store. Apparently DJs would take portable record players into second hand shops to sample records before buying. Even 78s were fair game. Might still be, I'm not plugged into that scene...

Steve
Last Edited by Lubbyman on 15/05/2019 - 19:18

Algernon

Link Posted 15/05/2019 - 19:29
It's a good job Pentax never made record players Imagine all the moaning from Pentaxians about "NO 78RPM" ........ Pentax Record Players are DOOMED!

--

Algi

johnriley

Link Posted 15/05/2019 - 23:34
Steve, thanks for the info!
Best regards, John

vic cross

Link Posted 16/05/2019 - 09:11
I actually have 3 decks that play all 3 speeds and from time to time I and my friend get out the old 78's 45's and 33's and have a nostalgic evening. One of the decks has a prog. for recording to my 'puter and a prog. in the 'puter so I'm slowly downloading all my old records into digital. It's a hell of a job.
CHEERS Vic.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 16/05/2019 - 13:25
vic cross wrote:
I'm slowly downloading all my old records into digital. It's a hell of a job.

Agree 100%. Good luck!!!

Algernon wrote:
It's a good job Pentax never made record players Imagine all the moaning from Pentaxians about "NO 78RPM" ........ Pentax Record Players are DOOMED!

Pentax record players would be able to play every previous recording format back to wax cylinders. Unlike other makes that leave you with a lot of wax cylinders and 78's that you can no longer play. But Pentaxes would take ages for the stylus to find the starting point on the record and they'd be hopeless at video.

Steve
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.