derek897

Link Posted 26/03/2019 - 12:15
RobL wrote:
Is that house behind seriously wonky?

Ha ha ha it certainly looks like it
I know what i like, If not always why.

RobL

Link Posted 26/03/2019 - 23:04
Today was an epiphany of sorts. Being self employed I had planned to gradually wind down to a semi-retirement in the not too distant future but events seem to have decided for me. Until Christmas I was flat out as usual but afterwards was like the tap suddenly turned off. Still a dribble of work but then a request from a former client landed in my inbox; I read it and out of the blue I thought I just cannot do this any more so I politely declined. I expected to feel relief but instead felt very flat, as if my purpose in life had ended.

Still, it was a nice sunny day so took myself off to Stratford and spent as long as I wanted just taking photos; nothing groundbreaking, an experiment back inside the church using pixel shift and then a few along the river. A cappuccino on the Theatre cafe terrace, bought some hot cross buns and home for tea. But what a difference it made to my mood, those few hours of relaxed concentration without any pressure raised my spirits no end. No doubt I will still accept some work but it feels like a corner had been turned and the balance of priorities has shifted.

jeallen01

Link Posted 27/03/2019 - 09:29
@RobL

Had a similar - but rather more prolonged - period after my last contract finished 4 yrs ago, and it took me the best part of a year to "come to terms" with not "working" most of the time, and to stop looking for another job.

Have since turned down a few "opportunities" mainly because they were a long way from home, but nearly took one only a few miles from here - until it dawned on me that I would need to be at home in the middle of each day because my wife had just had 2 cataract ops and needed me to put drops in her eyes at that time of day. Now, when an enquiry arrives, I tell them I'm retired and to "take me off your books"
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!) - and now a K-70 from SRS

HarisF1

Link Posted 27/03/2019 - 10:05
I've still got another 40 years of work to look forward to

derek897

Link Posted 27/03/2019 - 10:45
I can only go another 12 max, in fire service.
I know what i like, If not always why.

Aitch53

Link Posted 27/03/2019 - 10:51
When I retired (early) the weird feeling was when I left the office for the last time, handed in my security/ID card at the desk and headed out to get the works bus home for the last time. All the way out the office, I had this weird feeling that someone would run after me and tell me it was all a joke.

Mind you, staying in bed the next morning until gone 08:00 was nice.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

Gwyn

Link Posted 27/03/2019 - 16:11
His Nibs retired officially as he had to at 65 and one month. He went back to work as a freelancer for the same company, at nearly twice the salary, on the following Monday. It took him another three years to really just about stop, but he only wound up his company at the end of last year. I suspect if someone offered him some work he might just take it, though thankfully that is now impossible to do legally here.
The money went on our long trip to California, and to buying the camper.
That had it's MOT today. Needs two new tyres as they are too old, but not something they fail it for on the MOT as the tread is good. I've been saying for a year we need new tyres as they are old, but it took a call from the garage to make him decide to do somehting about it.

Algernon

Link Posted 27/03/2019 - 18:20
Hardly worn tyres only last for 9 years nowadays due to the life of the rubber. They have some sort of indicator built in plus the year of manufacture.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

jeallen01

Link Posted 27/03/2019 - 18:44
Old tyres get hard (harder ride and lose grip, especially in the wet) and can crack - had the latter issue with those on SWMBO's Golf and so I showed her the cracks! Decent new tyres were thus fitted PDQ!
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!) - and now a K-70 from SRS

Gwyn

Link Posted 27/03/2019 - 21:42
No cracks yet, but they do need changing. Threw out a "good" set of winter tyres for it last year as they were cracked. We'll certainly get two new ones, and consider a full set of all season tyres to prolong the season, and so our son can use it in winter to go to Germany if he wants. Heck of an investment though.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 28/03/2019 - 10:44
Why do birds think that a car parked in a drive is there for target practice?

And why do they aim for the centre of the roof so it's difficult to reach and clean off?

Steve

jeallen01

Link Posted 28/03/2019 - 20:27
Lubbyman wrote:
Why do birds think that a car parked in a drive is there for target practice?

And why do they aim for the centre of the roof so it's difficult to reach and clean off?

Steve

Big flat black targets - and an "FU" attitude to human beings!

Gwyn

Link Posted 31/03/2019 - 14:23
Same reason they think my line full of drying washing is a target I suppose. Because they can.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 31/03/2019 - 19:28
G'n'T time, at last I'm officially retired.

Tomorrow is the first day of freedom...

...and I'll be off out for a ride with Mrs HG....on push bikes!

Got to stay fit!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

gtis

Link Posted 31/03/2019 - 21:18
Hardgravity wrote:
G'n'T time, at last I'm officially retired.

Tomorrow is the first day of freedom...

...and I'll be off out for a ride with Mrs HG....on push bikes!

Got to stay fit!

Enjoy you bike ride and your retirement
I have been retired 15 months and really enjoying not getting up at silly o’clock
To go to work
cheers Neil
pentax k3 k5 super A da* 300 f4 da*50-135 f 2.8 smc 50mm f1.7 af 360 fgz pentax1.4xhd converter
Pentax o-gps1

Panasonic Dmc Fz200
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.