spbatt

Joined: 1st April 2004

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

spbatt
I do try not to let 'Mac Evangelism' get the better of me but…

what is a virus?


As the Mac market share continues to grow again (hallelujah!) maybe 'virus programmers' (that's my polite description) will be encouraged to promote their wares on the Mac platform but, so far so good.

Of course with the newer Intel Macs you can have two partitions on your hard disk, one with Mac OSX installed and the other with Windows Vista installed - you choose which to start up from. Two computers in one fast and sexy box (… you can also install Linux) !

Enough evangelism…

Are we all going to boycot eBay or what? Let's show them we wont take it anymore!

Comment by spbatt posted on Selling on eBay UK? at 27/10/2007 - 15:14

spbatt
I am 100% with hefty1 on this subject. I have become more and more disillusioned with greedyBay over the last year in particular. It proves that a company that doesn't have 'reasonable' competition will be able to get away with whatever they like. I believe that we will always have auction sites - if eBay disappeared then existing/new auction sites would soon fill any void. Personally I think the eBay experience isn't half of what it was a couple of years back - the philosophy of community that was behind it then has all but gone now - eBay is losing many of the fans that made the site it what it was.

eBay was not the only promising auction site back in the day. Here in the UK we had QXL.com and believe me for a while it looked like it might succeed ahead of eBay (and I was so close to buying shares in it!)… and then it had an expensive site redesign and it turned into a lesson in how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It is still around and maybe one day it will rise again.

Quote:
In fact I feel pretty OK with Microsoft as well, without whom we would not have the absolute compatibility of our computer systems and the ability to even discuss this as we are doing now.
A contentious can of worms JR…

We would all be using Apple Macintosh computers (from whom Microsoft stole/borrowed heavily from when programing the first version of Windows) and the world would be a much more compatible place! I have never owned a PC although I have had to use them from time to time - "absolute compatibility" is not something I would normally associate with Windows machines in my prior experience.

All the best!

Batty

Comment by spbatt posted on Selling on eBay UK? at 27/10/2007 - 11:26

spbatt
I have huge admiration for Pentax glass but when it comes to macro lenses I use a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 (1:1). I have always been extremely happy with its performance, both as a macro and as a telephoto lens.

All the best,

Batty

Comment by spbatt posted on Macro Lenses - Advice required. at 14/09/2007 - 14:33

spbatt
You could have knocked me down with a feather!

IMHO the optical quality of the AF Adapter is superb.

All the best!

Batty

Comment by spbatt posted on See the Batt fly. at 24/07/2007 - 09:30

spbatt
Excellent composition, tone and sharpness. I also like the thick black border. The only criticism I have is that the grain looks like digital noise and not film grain but that is something you could easily fix if you wanted to.

Batty

Comment by spbatt posted on Mono Tulips From Mono Lily at 30/05/2007 - 13:25

spbatt
I fully agree with John.

It's great to have Ben on board.

Batty

Comment by spbatt posted on Censored at 27/05/2007 - 16:08

spbatt
I'd agree with both sentiments re the battery grip.

First I find the handling superb with the grip attached and couldn't imagine going back to not having it there. I also have the same battery power management issues that has been reported above though and the suggestion of using just one battery in the grip is an excellent one.

Secondly, even I have been feeling a little bit embarrassed lately by the repeated interest of current low spec CANON users who have been drawn (like moths to a flame) by the look and feel of my K10D. I think there is some truth in the fact that CANON users like the bulky 'muscle camera' look!

Batty

Comment by spbatt posted on What happens when battery in grip runs out? at 25/05/2007 - 15:04

spbatt
Well I took the DA21 in to town today and have issues with its sharpness …

Comment Image




I am enjoying trying it out and will post a 'serious' shot (I mean without movement blur) after I've used it again tomorrow evening.

Batty

Comment by spbatt posted on 21mm f3.2 - HEADS UP £200 ON EBAY BIN at 05/06/2007 - 16:56

spbatt


I owe you a drink smc!

I am going to 'shoot' some fashion students work a week tomorrow and will be sure to post a photo in this thread soon after…

Comment by spbatt posted on 21mm f3.2 - HEADS UP £200 ON EBAY BIN at 29/05/2007 - 14:27

spbatt
Hi Peter. I can recommend it without reservation. Nowadays I prefer to keep my seller feedback and my buyer feedback separate just for those occasions when you bump into the eBay seller from Hell…

Which leads me on nicely to the SMC PENTAX-DA 21mm f/3.2 I purchased last week after smc's 'head's up'. It was definitely a gamble and there was no communication from the seller since the purchase (doubts were growing about the sanity of my decision). However, the lens arrived this morning and so far there haven't been any obvious focusing issues with it and the general condition is very good.

It's the first DA 'pancake' lens I've bought and so far (early days) I am very impressed with it.

Batty

Comment by spbatt posted on 21mm f3.2 - HEADS UP £200 ON EBAY BIN at 29/05/2007 - 11:10

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo