SPB

Joined: 25th December 2005

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

SPB
I shall ignore the Windows/Mac thing. Suffice to say I had windows for 10 years or more and thing not highly of it. Linux and Mac are superior in many ways, but not all ways. One thing is for sure it ain't a safe environment so I am thrilled to be away from windows.

Now back to PEF, inside every 10MB pef is:- 3 jpgs at different resolutions:-
1 160x120, 1 640x480 and the third at 3000x2000 in the example I looked at now, the 3 files total 898K in size.

So with RAW, you get the PEF + 3 JPGS directly out of the camera with no need for conversions. Of course if want to print high quality the PEF is the route, for the web the highest resolution JPG is the way.

Comment by SPB posted on Long term future of PEF RAW at 28/05/2006 - 09:18

SPB
I am shooting only raw. I use Extensis Portfolio, and shoot, copy to folder, import into Portfolio and periodically do a backup to DVD.

To produce jpgs for web pages I used to export from Portfolio or use the Pentax Lab software.

However yesterday for usd 12 I realized that "File Juicer" for OS X, can be used. drag and drop pef files onto Juicer and it automatically pulls out 3 jpg files which are already stored within the pef file. So without doing any conversion or damaging the pef, one can extract jpgs.

So I shall continue to store my raw in Portfolio, but when I need jpgs I will juice them. When I need files for printing I will use the pef.

I like Portfolio because it is very configurable it brings in all the exif etc info and then you can quickly find files and copy and paste, or email or whatever you need to do. Gone are the days when I would think "I have a picture of a Jaguar, but where".

So I will keep my files in PEF and JPG and always make sure whatever system I run that it can handle PEF/JPG/TIFF, if it cannot I will not change to that system.

IF PEF is dumped? Then I will find a unix/linux/os x converter PEF2 ???

Comment by SPB posted on Long term future of PEF RAW at 25/05/2006 - 20:38

SPB
I use Varta Photo 15 minute Charger Photo Akku Charger (2.300 mAh) and since I bought these I have to charge very infrequently. Comes with a car charger too. Noisy (because of built in fan), but works very well. Mine charges 4 at a time, there is a smaller one that does 2 at a time.

Comment by SPB posted on Rechargeable CR-V3 from Uniross at 16/06/2006 - 12:20

SPB
Thanks for the explanation I wondered how it works with the Tokina. I actually prefer focussing manually now, I have become so used to it, with the 100 and 200 and 500 mm that I also do it with the 40mm also. I intend next to sell my FA J 18-35 and buy a 20mm Pentax-M when I see one offered for sale. I really like the results from the Pentax-M lenses, and also they feel better quality that the flimsy feeling DA50-200. Having fixed lenses makes me think more about composition. However the bright viewfinder on the DL is a boon, I have no difficulty focussing and even doing it quickly when needed.

Comment by SPB posted on I want a ist-dl for my manual lenses....... at 15/06/2006 - 18:33

SPB
I see conflicting advice for using Pentax-M lenses (100mm F4 Macro and F4 200mm - which I have bought but not yet received) with my Pentax *ist DL.

Correct me if I am wrong:-

I need to set Manual Focus (naturally) on DL and then focus manually with the lens (naturally).

Do I have to set the mode to M on DL or can I still use AV setting, which I use most of the time?

I also have a 500mm Tokina F8. I use that in AV mode, with MF set on camera and focussing manually.

Comment by SPB posted on I want a ist-dl for my manual lenses....... at 25/05/2006 - 09:44

SPB
This is just the sort of crap that annoys me.

I researched the market. I went into one shop tried a Nikon, did not like it. Tried a friends Nikon and I decided that the DL was a camera I could afford without kit lens. So I go into a big dealer in Zurich, and I also got the Nikon sales pitch.

So I just ignored it and said I had come to buy a DL and the pancake 40mm lens and asked if they were still interested in selling me such. I have not regretted it. After a couple of minutes of handling the Pentax gear I knew this was the camera for me. It is far less fiddly to operate and everything is just in the right place. The other big drawer for me is AA batteries. I hate these special batteries that cost the earth and do not last as long as either advertised or hyped.

Pentax all the way, and I have never owned one before. In 35mm days I had Canon.

Comment by SPB posted on I want a ist-dl for my manual lenses....... at 16/05/2006 - 11:56

SPB
"Perhaps it's inevitable, but it isn't edifying"

Guess you are right there.

Comment by SPB posted on Camera Fairs should be thriving..but are they? at 17/05/2006 - 21:14

SPB
They also do, so it is not exactly shameful on our behalf. There is no point in not being able to defend oneself, however with the PC crap throughout Europe it is getting difficulty to say what you want and actually get justice if you are injured by some yobbo.

Comment by SPB posted on Camera Fairs should be thriving..but are they? at 17/05/2006 - 18:32

SPB
I still think we are mad. What happens in anoher war, where will services get us?

Comment by SPB posted on Camera Fairs should be thriving..but are they? at 16/05/2006 - 21:05

SPB
I also love tinkering with computers. I left windows 3 or 4 years ago, moving to Linux and building my own PC. I used Linux and was happy with Slackware for about 2 years. Then I had the chance to acquire a Powermac 450MhZ Apple, and I have not looked back. Fitted more ram, gutted my PC and fitted things to the Mac. These old Powermacs are a dream to work on.

I have encouraged my father who is 85, and never used a computer or typewriter and he is also now learning how to get on with his laptop. Unfortunately he chose against my advice Windows.

So I am partially with my head out of the sand.

I do however lament the end of courteous, service and this never ending crap that I cannot buy 1 battery, because the packs only comes in fours or even more. And I will never understand the world's rush to produce everything in China.

Open one can of worms, only for bigger cans to open......

At this rate what will Europe produce actually in twenty years?

Comment by SPB posted on Camera Fairs should be thriving..but are they? at 16/05/2006 - 18:04

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo