SPB

Joined: 25th December 2005

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

SPB
Mannesty, I could not agree less. Mac or Linux, it is easy to either built up new in the case of Linux/and modify an existing Mac machine. In my view far simpler than messing with windows.

It is just as easy to built a Linux system from scratch and if you use Slackware 10, you take even less time than making a windows machine.

Also it is just as easy to buy a refurbished Powermac and work on it yourself, using exacty the same hard disks, cd/dvd drives that you would on a windows machine.

I know. I built my PC from scratch and when I decided enough is enough with windows, I installed Slackware and ran like that for a year or so.

Then I was given a Powermac. All I had to do was rip out from my PC my hard disks, dvd, add ram and a better graphics card. The Powermac was the easiest computer to work on, that I have ever come across. OS X installs faster than windows and I just cannot understand anyone who insists on using anything other than Linux or OS X, which are both Unix based anyway.

Quote:
johnriley wrote:
Almost anyone anywhere can sit down at any computer and use Windows and I think that's a pretty fantastic achievement.
Absolutely true John. To take that a bit further, for a few hundred quid Almost anyone anywhere can sit down and MAKE a PC to run the Microsoft Windows operating system and applications. The PC architecture has made high powered computing accessible to a huge number of people. When you consider that all you need is a handful of components, a hard drive, floppy (optional), CD/DVD writer, motherboard, CPU, memory, and a case which generally includes a power supply. Job done, oh, then you load the OS, and you're up and running, just about. OK a few apps need to be loaded, but that's it. You might choose to put a better graphics card inside but other than that, simplicity.

Not so, the Apple MAC.

Nowadays you need very little hardware as all the 'tricky' stuff is all onboard. All you need is a screwdriver to put it all together and no knowledge of electronics. In fact, if you buy wisely, you can't even get any connectors the wrong way round any more. If I had a fiver for every floppy cable I connected the wrong way, I wouldn't still be connecting floppy cables

Just about the most difficult part of building a modern PC is getting those darned front panel connections in the right place, and the LED cables the right way round.

Comment by SPB posted on Long term future of PEF RAW at 15/07/2006 - 19:49

SPB
At last, iPhoto V6.04 (305) handles RAW PEF files.

It allows you to save them as JPG, TIFF or PNG

Comment by SPB posted on Long term future of PEF RAW at 15/07/2006 - 18:29

SPB
Better than doing the Maths, so actually your Maths are spot on, I must have got muddled!

I have just shot a picture in RAW, when I right click it and get the size info, OS X reports 9.6MB

Now I run File Juicer, which merely extracts ANY jpg from within this same PEF file.

Now right-click all three JPGS and the sizes reported are:-

1) 96K 160x120
2) 80K 640x480
3) 768K 3008 x 2000

The actual sizes in Kb vary slightly, depending on the subject.


Quote:
Hmmm, not so sure about that... let's do the math:

1) 3008 pixels x 2008 pixels = 6040064 pixels

2) Each pixel on the *ist-D takes 2 bytes (because it's 16-bit depth), so that's 11.5Mb of RAW data.

3) On the *ist-DS etc, each pixel takes 1.5 bytes (because it's 12-bit), so that's 8.6Mb of RAW data.

There's no space for 4-5Mb of JPG! My calculations say there's about 1Mb of JPG, calculated from my files.

Comment by SPB posted on Long term future of PEF RAW at 15/06/2006 - 08:08

SPB
I thought that would be interesting. I agree with the article very much on the amount of time and space taken up on my hard disk. Another thing is how to effectively back-up. I have 4500 photos and some other graphical files. Total with raw not all of the 4500 by a long way are raw, 12GB, make everything jpg, 6GB. Presently I dump to a second external Firewire HD, not a secure long-term medium for sure.

Secondly each and every RAW has three JPG files within the raw file, so any PEF has around 4-5MB jpg files, within.

All programs on my OS X machine can read and write jpg, 2 of the 4 programs I use cannot read pef.

I do also wonder how long the raw files will exist. DNG is not the answer it ties you to one software provider.

Comment by SPB posted on Long term future of PEF RAW at 13/06/2006 - 22:15

SPB
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

I found this a very interesting article on the subject of Raw and other formats like JPG

Comment by SPB posted on Long term future of PEF RAW at 13/06/2006 - 09:36

SPB
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/6148/gem.html
The link for GEM

and another one

http://www.pcmech.com/show/os/360/

DR Digital Research.

What a pity the other won. DR were far more interesting and innovative.

Quote:
GEM I think was the GUI, I used DR-DOS for ages.

Mannesty wrote:
DR-DOS became a competitor to MS-DOS and was succesfully killed off by a 'dirty tricks' campaign which later cost Microsoft $100,000,000.00 in damages. By then of course, DR-DOS was dead.

I seem to remember that Xerox's Venturer Publisher had one of the first graphical interfaces.

Comment by SPB posted on Long term future of PEF RAW at 30/05/2006 - 06:22

SPB
GEM I think was the GUI, I used DR-DOS for ages.

Quote:
DR-DOS became a competitor to MS-DOS and was succesfully killed off by a 'dirty tricks' campaign which later cost Microsoft $100,000,000.00 in damages. By then of course, DR-DOS was dead.

I seem to remember that Xerox's Venturer Publisher had one of the first graphical interfaces.

Comment by SPB posted on Long term future of PEF RAW at 30/05/2006 - 06:18

SPB
On Linux try
ExifTool Version History
This allows all 3 JPEG images contained in Pentax PEF files to be extracted: ... Added ability to extract JPG from RAW; Added ExifData tag to allow entire ...
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/history.html

this is supposed to do it in Windows http://www.polybytes.com/


[quote="golfdiesel"]
Quote:
easy use file juicer on OS X, extracts in several seconds even on a slow old powermac
And what to use on Windows or Linux?

Remco

Comment by SPB posted on Long term future of PEF RAW at 30/05/2006 - 06:17

SPB
Also DRDOS from Digital Research was streets ahead of MS-DOS

Yeah you are right Xerox! They must have had short-sighted managers at that time. If today they received a royalty from Bill for every package ....

Quote:
Neither Apple nor Microsoft came up with the GUI (Graphical User Interface).

The oringinal developer was........XEROX!!

I bet they're kicking themselves in the butt still for letting it get out of their hands!

Comment by SPB posted on Long term future of PEF RAW at 28/05/2006 - 19:53

SPB
easy use file juicer on OS X, extracts in several seconds even on a slow old powermac

Comment by SPB posted on Long term future of PEF RAW at 28/05/2006 - 19:51

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo