SkyRider

Joined: 10th November 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

SkyRider
I'd echo others' experience - I used them for a warranty repair. It took 3-4 weeks with no information coming back (I only found they'd received it by ringing them) but the workmanship was impeccable when the camera finally reappeared.

Comment by SkyRider posted on Johnsons Photopia at 13/09/2012 - 10:09

SkyRider
That would depend (a) what resolution you were printing at, (b) whether you were matching the long side of the image to the long side of the paper or matching the short side - A3 is squarer than what comes from the camera and (c) how you were scaling it - with most scaling algorithms an image doesn't become progrssively blurrier but passes through certain particularly sharp sweet-spots.

In case that's not convinced you that's it's not a good measure, plugging some numbers in to get a rough estimate gives us this: the long side of A3 is 16.5" (assuming full bleed) which, at 240 ppi is 3960 pixels. The long size of a full resultion photo from the K-5 is 4928 pixels so to fit it to an A3 print you would need to reduce the image to 3960/4928=80% of its original size.

Cheers,
Paul

Comment by SkyRider posted on Previewing A3 quality at 30/08/2012 - 10:53

SkyRider
Right now what I really want would be....a release date and a specification!

Comment by SkyRider posted on What do we want from the K-5 replacement at 29/08/2012 - 14:41

SkyRider
wadna wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="SkyRider"]According to my calculator it's about 10.3 megapixels & according to my lost in the mists of time schooling 1.5*1.5=2.25
Thanks for the correction. I wonder where I'd picked up the idea that the crop factor was 1.4?

Comment by SkyRider posted on "K-5 now officially discontinued in Japan" at 10/08/2012 - 13:52

SkyRider
szgabor wrote:
The FF 24 megapixel has the same pixel density like the APS-C 16 megapixel.
Slightly off-topic, but 24 megapixels FF is nearer 12 megapixels APS-C - the number of pixels is a function of area rather than a linear one so you need to multiply by the crop factor twice.

Pedantic mathematician crawling back underneath his rock now...after all, 12Mp/APSC has been a sufficient pixel density for most purposes for several years.

Comment by SkyRider posted on "K-5 now officially discontinued in Japan" at 10/08/2012 - 10:35

SkyRider
I dub using the recorded audio track, but there's a stereo line out socket on it so I'd guess you could connect it to the camera with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. I've not tried it but if I can borrow such a cable I'll give it a go and report back.

Comment by SkyRider posted on External Microphone... at 21/07/2012 - 20:51

SkyRider
I use* a Zoom H1; this doesn't come with a hotshoe mount but it does have a 1/4" hole on the bottom and Amazon do a hotshoe to 1/4" adapter for about a fiver. I've found the combination to work well. Better than using the H1 on its own in fact as it has a cheap plastic case that creaks when handled but seems to sit on the camera without problem.

Cheers,
Paul

[*Strictly I suppose that should be "used" as I loaned the H1 to someone a while ago and the loan is becoming ever more extended... ]

Comment by SkyRider posted on External Microphone... at 20/07/2012 - 19:44

SkyRider
I'm waiting to see the price. I'm not sure that there's any point in comparing the lens price to other brands as those tend to be FF and everything I've seen so far refers to the DA 560 (no FA, no *) so I'd be disappointed if it weren't significantly cheaper than other similar focal lenth lenses.

Comment by SkyRider posted on 560 at 12/06/2012 - 23:23

SkyRider
Doesn't blipfoto do this every day?

Comment by SkyRider posted on 15th May - Photograph your daily life at 14/05/2012 - 18:11

SkyRider
gartmore wrote:
I take it these are actually very basic flash heads rather than tungsten lights as the '105w' description suggests?
When I previously got a similar kit it was continuous lighting with fluorescent bulbs like these - so you get the equivalent of about 1000W.

Comment by SkyRider posted on Basic 'studio' photography tips wanted at 02/05/2012 - 18:20

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo