SkyRider

Joined: 10th November 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

SkyRider
In terms of tooling, I've found Pinterest useful for drawing up mood boards; only a minority of models seem to be on there though so you may need to make your boards world-readable.

Comment by SkyRider posted on Mood boards at 30/08/2018 - 12:33

SkyRider
I thought I'd mention this in case there was anyone other than me that missed it first time around. 500px looked at the camera brands of photos getting a high pulse rate (the site's equivalent of Facebook's Like or Flickr's Favourite. I wonder which brand took most popular photos...?

https://iso.500px.com/that-most-used-cameras-stat-sharing-sites-like-promoting-i...

I've carefully stashed this away for the next time someone brings up the full-frame argument, though I guess it's possible that those Pentax shots may be 645Z-based ones...

Cheers,
Paul

Comment by SkyRider posted on Top camera brand for 'quality' photos at 08/10/2015 - 16:38

SkyRider
Ebuyer's deal of the day today is for 16Gb Lexar SD cards, 4.79GBP inc. postage.

http://www.ebuyer.com/daily-deals

Cheers,
Paul

Comment by SkyRider posted on 16Gb Lexar Class 6 SD £4.79 at 16/04/2014 - 10:40

SkyRider
+1 for DSCL. The paper choice depends on final use - the pearl looks extremely arresting (it's shiny enough to be almost metallic) but it doesn't suit all subjects and it's unforgiving of anything that's not tack sharp. The Lustre is safe but a little ordinary. Gloss is somewhere in between.

If you're doing something special, both DSCL and Loxley will do you prints on fine art papers. There are not cheap but they are spectacular. Try some postcard-sized ones first to see what suits you.

Comment by SkyRider posted on Recommendations for online printing, A3 size? at 25/10/2013 - 16:22

SkyRider
Lens arrived safely (and very well wrapped!) and in every bit as good a condition as LennyBloke described. Looking forward to trying it out...

Comment by SkyRider posted on FS: Pentax F series 70-210 and 50 f1.7 at 14/08/2013 - 19:11

SkyRider
For those in hitting distance of Cambridge, the University Photographic Service has a history of putting on exhibitions by students and staff and there's one of the tube on until the end of September: http://www.ucs.cam.ac.uk/media/pandis/double_exhibition

Comment by SkyRider posted on Photos of the Tube at 05/08/2013 - 10:35

SkyRider
This won't help bmk, but this might be an opportune point to draw people's attention to Lenstag; if you register your kit with them and later mark it as stolen then the serial numner shows up on a Google search if a leter buyer checks before buying.

No connection other than as a user.

Comment by SkyRider posted on [STOLEN] FA* 400, DA 14, K-5 at 24/07/2013 - 10:30

SkyRider
I put one of their screens on my K20D. Easy to fit and worked like a dream. The 'gloves' they supplied for the job were intriguing though - latex thimbles would be a better description!

Comment by SkyRider posted on focus screens at 18/04/2013 - 18:06

SkyRider
While we're on the subject of printers, I've got a related question. I used to have one but used it so sporadically that the cartidges tended to dry up between prints - at the same time, even though it ended up more expansive than using a lab given my low-volume printing, the instant response meant I could send relatives away with prints of the weekend when they came to stay.

Is there some way to stop the inks from drying? Or is colour laser technology likely to become good enough for photos any time soon?

Cheers,
Paul

Comment by SkyRider posted on Printers at 05/04/2013 - 15:00

SkyRider
One thing I do with the DVDs from a magazine I get is to create an image of the disc (I use ISO Recorder, but many other free/pay solutions exist), rename the image file with the date and copy it to the main hard drive. I then use a virtual DVD drive (again many solutions exist but I use the free DVDFab Virtual Drive - page seems broken at the moment) to mount the image as if the disc were in the computer.

These packages are for Windows - if you're a Mac or Linux user you can do it without resorting to third party software.

Comment by SkyRider posted on Magazine Discs to Flash Drive at 27/03/2013 - 15:49

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo