QuestionableCarrot

Joined: 4th April 2011

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

QuestionableCarrot
Aye agreed Jak

Its probably not going to wield the sort of results I want.

I suppose the remote I have ordered will come in handy for the tripod anyways

QC

Comment by QuestionableCarrot posted on Remote Controlling your camera HELP at 02/04/2012 - 20:56

QuestionableCarrot
Thank you for clarifying that guys. But the above tech wizardy will work with the K-5 though right?

Comment by QuestionableCarrot posted on Remote Controlling your camera HELP at 02/04/2012 - 19:26

QuestionableCarrot
Thanks for the above JAK

So It doesnt work Helios?

CONFUSED

Can you explain the RF trigger thing? What is it?

Is that a link for it?

If its some sort of device that can control my camera from longer distances and can go behind the camera I am interested!

A

Comment by QuestionableCarrot posted on Remote Controlling your camera HELP at 02/04/2012 - 17:26

QuestionableCarrot
Wish I hadnt purchased an infa-red remote device now as I can only use it from the front.

i thought i could have hid in bushes 20 yards away

Comment by QuestionableCarrot posted on Remote Controlling your camera HELP at 02/04/2012 - 16:44

QuestionableCarrot
thanks guys
Gwyn wrote:
Here is a page full of reviews of camera traps. They aren't cheap.

An IR remote needs filed of sight of the camera to work. Depending on the model camera you have sensors front and rear or rear only. The range of the IR remote varies depending on the model. The Pentax remote F has a working distance of about 5 metres.

Edit: K-x only has a remote sensor at the back - which restricts your use of it quite a bit.
not interested in camera traps mate just with the camera (k-x) five metre range then from the back?

Comment by QuestionableCarrot posted on Remote Controlling your camera HELP at 02/04/2012 - 16:33

QuestionableCarrot
Ok manual lenses only?

K-x

Comment by QuestionableCarrot posted on Remote Controlling your camera HELP at 02/04/2012 - 16:18

QuestionableCarrot
Hi

As some are aware bird photography and wildlife is my big thing that gets me out of the house most days and weekends. I always crave the "great" shot and will go hours just to get one moment on camera that I am happy with. For instance my latest photograph (check flickr thing below)took me over two hours to get and I had to lie in a river to get it - a shot of a Dipper. I waited until the light was just perfect and the bird had caddisflies in its mouth - Very satisfied.

However, I cant go on like this forever because I have other committments - family etc.

Can anyone explain to me (in very simple terms) how the trap shot works? Have I got this term right? Its when you can set you camera up to fire off when something like a bird enters the frame.

Any thoughts on how that works very appreciated.


SECONDLY

I was wondering how far the range on one of those remote IR shutters is for shooting cable release style. Can I set the camera up and hide somewhere and then simply press it or is there a range and direction on these things?

MANY THANKS TO THOSE THAT READ AND ARE WILLING TO REPLY!

Cheers

QC

Comment by QuestionableCarrot posted on Remote Controlling your camera HELP at 02/04/2012 - 15:38

QuestionableCarrot
Anyone interested in selling the 300mm lens??

Please private message me to discuss.

Cheers

QC

Comment by QuestionableCarrot posted on WANTED 55-300 at 02/04/2012 - 11:18

QuestionableCarrot
Thanks everyone for the comprehensive replies.

Im getting the impression that the K-r might be a better camera than I first thought. Those 6 fps would be very handy and I am assuming that it would yield better IQ.

But then again I could just spend the extra and get the K-5?

Its been said that I need to put good glass in front of the K-5 to get the best out of it. Can I assume the 300mm DA F4 on this camera would be the bees knees?

MORE MONEY!

Comment by QuestionableCarrot posted on Is the K-5 Really Worth it???? at 24/03/2012 - 10:45

QuestionableCarrot
At the moment I am taking all my wildlife (mostly bird) shots with the Pentax K-x and Sigma 150 500. I understand the limitations that each have respectively...

For example the lens works best at F8 (unless its nice and bright)
The lens can hunt (but i sometime use manual to speed things up_

And the K-x which I now know inside out (can change aperature without even looking at the back of the camera to see if its finished buffering)and know that all its little quirks.

I am often told that the images are great and I should upgrade to "better" equipment but what exactly?

Is the K-5 really going to make my photos any better>? Obviously the shutter speed and zero buffering is a plus but its big money for someone who doesnt have much.

Or alternatively do I sell the lot and buy the 400mm 5.6 Canon that everyone raves about and then save for a Canon body (Perish the thought!)

A very confused bird photographer!

QC

Comment by QuestionableCarrot posted on Is the K-5 Really Worth it???? at 23/03/2012 - 20:34

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo