Mongoose

Joined: 16th November 2006

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Mongoose
also the non-SMC lenses seem to vary somewhat sample to sample.

For example, I have 2 copys of the Takumar Bayonet F2.5 135mm

One of them is a great lens, sharp as a tak (pardon the pun) but has unfortunatly developed sticky aperture syndrome and is now jammed on F2.5

The other is significantly poorer in general performance and very soft wide open, I never bother to use it.

Similarly I have heared lots of people say very nasty things about the Pentax-A 28-80 zoom, but my Dads copy of this lens consistantly produces stunning shots good enough to blow up to 10x8 and beyond.


As a general rule though I'd avoid anything Pentax in K mount which doesn't have SMC somewhere in its name.

Comment by Mongoose posted on Non SMC Lenses at 15/12/2006 - 15:52

Mongoose
Quote:
Mannesty wrote:
I'd buy one.
Peter, I do hope you haven't got a Canon upon which you wish to fit your Pentax lenses. Or did you mean to get an aperture (apparature) ring on DA lenses to use on your Pentax's?

What is the plural of Pentax? Pentaxes? Pentax's?

Dan
it wouldn't work on a pentax, theres no space, unless you put some sort of optics in the adaptor which would of course have quality implications. It might be possible on a Canon if the back focus on Canons is short enough to allow a decent sized aperture ring to go in between lens and body without sacrificing infinity focus.

Comment by Mongoose posted on Lens range expanding?? at 14/12/2006 - 17:59

Mongoose
ahhh, good point, I'd forgotten that!

/me bangs head against something

Comment by Mongoose posted on Lens range expanding?? at 14/12/2006 - 15:16

Mongoose
Quote:
Also, the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye zoom is unique, and is the envy of many other system users, to the extent that I saw one Canon user say they'd buy the K100D just so they could use this lens.

its amazing how many canon users are ignorant of what I consider to be the only major benefit of their system of choice. The back focus distance is so short they can mount almost litterally anything using a suitable adaptor.

Comment by Mongoose posted on Lens range expanding?? at 14/12/2006 - 12:37

Mongoose
as far as I know all the currently available Samsung lenses are re-badged Pentax lenses which may or may not have SMC coatings, so while they will work fine I wouldn't bother too much about them unless they are significantly cheaper.

Comment by Mongoose posted on Lens range expanding?? at 14/12/2006 - 10:53

Mongoose
on Ebay they tend to go for between 100 and 150 if memory serves. I've always fancied one but not for the asking price!

Comment by Mongoose posted on 50mm 1:1.7 AF at 14/12/2006 - 00:42

Mongoose
Quote:
he dont need it, so he wont buy it! (paraphrasing of course)
I can admire that!
I think a lot of us would be a lot richer if we followed that idea!

I must admit that most of my action shots are taken MF, because my fastest glass is all A series or earlier, and my long glass is all slow so the AF performance suffers. If I ever get my hands on a K10D (another toy I don't need but will probably buy as soon as ever I can) and a long SSM lens I'll probably start using AF for action shots.

I'm waiting very interested to see how the Pentax SSM focus system works out.

Comment by Mongoose posted on Why I do not like non full frame DSLR's...a personal view.. at 14/12/2006 - 23:12

Mongoose
could always get yourself an EOS 5D and a Pentax K lens adaptor

Comment by Mongoose posted on Why I do not like non full frame DSLR's...a personal view.. at 13/12/2006 - 16:00

Mongoose
Quote:
I am sure that if a Pentax Full Frame body comes true, most of you will purchase it. The reason is that all of us love this company and its products, don't we?
why are you sure of that?

Do most Canon users buy a 5D? I know more Canon SLR photographers than I can count, I only know 1 who owns a 5D, the rest all have APS-C models.

I certainly wont buy a full frame DSLR unless there are no crop frame models available which match my requirements.

edit:

/me looks at post count
[l33t]
omfg, I is teh 1337zor!!1111 w00t!
[/l33t]

ahem, sorry, 1337th post.

Comment by Mongoose posted on DON'T BUY PENTAX DIGITAL LENSES!!! at 08/05/2008 - 13:59

Mongoose
Quote:
For the friend who located the DA 200 on his LX camera I would like to ask if he used slide film or a negative one. If he used the negative one did he look at the negative strip to look for vigneting because the shop that printed his photos maybe cropped the images and as a result the black circle disappeared.
it's well known that the DA* 200 is basically an FA* 200 with a focus motor and weather sealing, hence it doesn't vignette on film bodies.

Handy.

Comment by Mongoose posted on DON'T BUY PENTAX DIGITAL LENSES!!! at 07/05/2008 - 14:44

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo