Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Lens range expanding??

downswood
Posted 14/12/2006 - 09:15 Link
I've just been on the Pentax website but info is very minimal. Does anyone have any idea what new lenses are in the pipeline. I got my Ds two years ago but the selection of lenses seems limited unless you go to third party manufacturers.

I'd like to get the best I can but I'm at the stage now where I may change brands if I upgrade. Should I really be bothered by this or should I include the Samsung ones in my calculations if they are compatible.

Any advice for a waverer.....LOL
Ammonyte
Posted 14/12/2006 - 10:38 Link
There is a lens roadmap in PDF format on their main website. http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/en/lens/roadmap.pdf

Current lenses listed here http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/en/lens/

Of course you can use all their existing lenses back to and including M42, and the Samsung lenses should work. However there is plenty of coice in the Pentax line alone, thought Sigma and others do make some good lenses too.
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
Mongoose
Posted 14/12/2006 - 10:53 Link
as far as I know all the currently available Samsung lenses are re-badged Pentax lenses which may or may not have SMC coatings, so while they will work fine I wouldn't bother too much about them unless they are significantly cheaper.
Daniel Bridge
Posted 14/12/2006 - 12:23 Link
Hi Downswood,

Are there lenses in particular that you'd like to see? i.e. what do you feel you're missing with Pentax that you'd consider changing systems for?

I've got a full range of focal lengths from 10mm through to 300mm, mostly Pentax, some Sigma, one Tamron. I don't see the lens choice as a problem at all, but obviously it depends on what you want. Admittedly, large aperture, long focal length lenses are harder to come by, but they are made by independents if you want to buy new or secondhand (I've got a Tamron 300/2.8 ), and Pentax ones can be found secondhand (and probably new if you hunt for them, someone else here would be able to advise you on that).

Also, the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye zoom is unique, and is the envy of many other system users, to the extent that I saw one Canon user say they'd buy the K100D just so they could use this lens.

Let us know what you feel is lacking, and we'll try to advise the best remedy. Several on here have in depth knowledge of the lens range, and as there is 40 years worth to choose from, there's bound to be something to fit.

Dan
Mongoose
Posted 14/12/2006 - 12:37 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Also, the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye zoom is unique, and is the envy of many other system users, to the extent that I saw one Canon user say they'd buy the K100D just so they could use this lens.

its amazing how many canon users are ignorant of what I consider to be the only major benefit of their system of choice. The back focus distance is so short they can mount almost litterally anything using a suitable adaptor.
Daniel Bridge
Posted 14/12/2006 - 14:08 Link
But as the lens has no aperture ring they'd have no way to control the aperture - so they'd be shooting at f/22-32 all the time, not ideal...

Better to buy Pentax in the first place.

Dan
Mongoose
Posted 14/12/2006 - 15:16 Link
ahhh, good point, I'd forgotten that!

/me bangs head against something
Ammonyte
Posted 14/12/2006 - 16:50 Link
Why doesn't someone make an adapter with an aperture ring? Or am I being stupid?
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
Mannesty
Posted 14/12/2006 - 17:07 Link
There you go Tim, thinking again

An opportunity to make your fortune perhaps. I'd buy one.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Daniel Bridge
Posted 14/12/2006 - 17:09 Link
Ammonyte wrote:
Why doesn't someone make an adapter with an aperture ring?

Whose side are you on? We need to make them buy Pentax, to see the error of their ways!

But anyway, I suppose you could make an adaptor that would move the 'aperture activation lever'* to the required position to close the aperture down to the required size. Probably have to be geared somehow, otherwise it would need a very small turn of the ring to go from min to max. Also, not sure that all lenses would have exactly the same lever design, so variations in exposure might occur between lenses. Also, might have problems with lenses of differing maximum aperture.

Apart from that, should be a doddle. Weekend's coming up, get the cornflakes packet and sticky-back-plastic at the ready!

Dan

* Probably a proper name for it, but you know, the wobbly bit that makes the aperture close down.
Daniel Bridge
Posted 14/12/2006 - 17:11 Link
Mannesty wrote:
I'd buy one.

Peter, I do hope you haven't got a Canon upon which you wish to fit your Pentax lenses. Or did you mean to get an aperture (apparature) ring on DA lenses to use on your Pentax's?

What is the plural of Pentax? Pentaxes? Pentax's?

Dan
Pwynnej
Posted 14/12/2006 - 17:43 Link
Some Pentax lenses can be fitted without adpators on Canon

The 11-17 and 12-24 I believe can be fitted on Canon....but you'd get it in a box saying Tokina and without the special Pentax coating....

But then you'd lose out by fixing such an inflexible body on the lens
Mongoose
Posted 14/12/2006 - 17:59 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Mannesty wrote:
I'd buy one.

Peter, I do hope you haven't got a Canon upon which you wish to fit your Pentax lenses. Or did you mean to get an aperture (apparature) ring on DA lenses to use on your Pentax's?

What is the plural of Pentax? Pentaxes? Pentax's?

Dan

it wouldn't work on a pentax, theres no space, unless you put some sort of optics in the adaptor which would of course have quality implications. It might be possible on a Canon if the back focus on Canons is short enough to allow a decent sized aperture ring to go in between lens and body without sacrificing infinity focus.
Ammonyte
Posted 14/12/2006 - 20:23 Link
IU'd just like to emphasise, for the copyright lawyers benefit, that it was my idea, and all royalty cheques should be made out to me!

Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
downswood
Posted 17/12/2006 - 21:33 Link
Thanks for all the comments. I'm on a strict budget and they do seem relatively expensive. I may have to compromise and end up with some Sigma lenses. For instance I'd save a lot if I got a sigma 105mm maco lens. The don't do the 70mm for Pentax. This is my next port of call.

The road map was helpful but some are a long way off like a fast 300mm which is what I'd like for birds but I may never be able to afford that.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.