DON'T BUY PENTAX DIGITAL LENSES!!!

teogin

Link Posted 11/12/2006 - 22:45
DON'T BUY PENTAX DIGITAL LENSES.
The reason is that these lenses can't be put on analog bodies and on future full-frame CCD digitall bodies. The great advantage of Pentax was the compatibility among their products. Where is it now?

And not only this. Every TTL flash by Pentax doesn't cooperate with digital bodies from DL and then.
Pentax K100, K110, DL, K10 can not use TTL technology, but P-TTL instead.
Ok, Pentax your customers bought FTZ-500 for 400. Some other have Pentax 330, some other Metz, etc.
My friends "DON' T BUY ANY PENTAX LENSES, UNLESS THEY ARE COMPATIBLE WITH THE OLDER BODIES"

I am terribly sorry about it, but we must answer to the technical faults of Pentax.
PentaxZ1, the best camera I had ever had
Amiga, the legend Computer
Mazda 323F. Just if you don't have a zoom lens. Take your car and go closer...take a photo with the 50/f1.4 and ...that's all!!!

johnriley

Link Posted 11/12/2006 - 23:14
Well thank heavens you broke it to us gently....

Actually, I don't agree, but we can all have different opinions.

I don't see the DA lenses as a problem - they are perfect for the DSLRs and that is what I happen to use. My film cameras have their own lenses that they always had.

As for a full frame Pentax DSLR - I don't think it's going to happen. Frankly, the need for such a beast has passed by...
Best regards, John

Joshua Hakin

Link Posted 11/12/2006 - 23:27
johnriley wrote:
Well thank heavens you broke it to us gently....
As for a full frame Pentax DSLR - I don't think it's going to happen. Frankly, the need for such a beast has passed by...

Exactly John!
How many people here would shell out for a full frame Pentax digital? Some are already complaining about the price of the K10D!!!
You'd spend MORE on a full frame body than you would buying a whole line of DA lenses!
Pentax wont do it... they know it's suicide.
Besides... Pentax is about more than just compatibility now, WAY more! If it means buying a new lens or flash to get a boatload of new features... well, it's a no brainer to me.

teogin

Link Posted 12/12/2006 - 00:13
I am afraid that a lot of people here don't understand that Pentax cannot avoid the production of a FF Digital Body, at the same time that every other company will have producted at least one .
Canon was the first! Primarily, very expensive, but the cost is getting down and down. Nikon is on the second place. Pentax and Olympus will be late again, but they must do it because they want to gain new customers and the customers of the future will be more technofreak than now.
It is the same game with computer technology. All of the people watch the battle between the photo companies and see that Canon make lenses that are also compatible to FF bodies, so they think that they can invest on Canon equipment.
Another point is the following. Imagine that I am a proffesional photographer and want to have both an analog body and a digital as well. If I have different lenses and flashes for every body, tell me one reason, just one why I should remain in Pentax and not buy the new Olympus E-400 which you can buy with two lenses for 850. A nice 10 MP camera, like Pentax, with a very good reputation, maybe better than pentax in Digital Technology sections?
That's why I tell you that the main advantage of Pentax must be compatibility. They must think about past, about future and in Greece we say "The history teaches!!!". Is it so difficult to be compatible with older flashes? Of course not. Pentax *istD was.
So, it is a game. If you want to be marketing victims, do whatever your hearts tell you. But, don't be surprised when you 'll see FF bodies which will not be compatible with the current lenses.
I can surely tell you that none of the current bodies will be flagship for more than 5 years. Pentax Z1 was the flagship of Pentax for more than 15 years!!! This is not going to happen again.
Just remember!!! Pentax K100D, K10D. There is no need to be clever to see in the future a model like this:
PENTAX K1D.
Mazda 323F. Just if you don't have a zoom lens. Take your car and go closer...take a photo with the 50/f1.4 and ...that's all!!!

Helpful

Joshua Hakin

Link Posted 12/12/2006 - 00:34
teogin wrote:
All of the people watch the battle between the photo companies and see that Canon make lenses that are also compatible to FF bodies, so they think that they can invest on Canon equipment.

So this begs the question: Why dont YOU switch to Canon?
Do you think the current consumers of Pentax products are doing it in hopes of a FF CCD in the future?

teogin wrote:
Another point is the following. Imagine that I am a proffesional photographer and want to have both an analog body and a digital as well. If I have different lenses and flashes for every body, tell me one reason, just one why I should remain in Pentax and not buy the new Olympus E-400 which you can buy with two lenses for 850.

All the other brands do the SAME thing with compatibility... they want you to buy MORE! It wont change.
The people I see buying Pentax now are amateurs... and TONS of em! Pentax is doing great business in this group.
Pentax is NOT gonna change PRO photographers over to their line in any mass numbers.
If you want FF CCD then why dont you "invest" in Canon technology?
I dont get it, why try and force a huge company like Pentax to cater to your preferences?
They have other consumers to cater to and make more money doing it.

teogin

Link Posted 12/12/2006 - 01:26
OK.
You are right! If you think that everything I told you is because I want to protect MY preferences, I apologize here to everyone of the forum.
It is difficult to change my firm. See to my signature and you will understand with which company I am.
Simple!! I 'll keep shoting with my Z1

Sorry and thanks for your time!!!

Helpful

Kimbo

Link Posted 12/12/2006 - 05:10
teogin,
no need to apologize, you may very well be right - time will tell!

Many forum members have expressed a desire for a 'full-frame' DSLR and have speculated as to the specification of a K1D (such an obvious name that Pentax are bound to choose something different!) but it will come.
Just look at the number of 6MP variants that have been produced over the past 18 months or so, Pentax needed something radically different and the K10D fits the bill. A 10MP APS-C sensor + Pentax's expertise derived from experience with the D range should see them go from strength to strength and the results could well rival their FF counterparts. The DA range of lenses will have a decent life-span but I feel that full-frame will eventually come.
At that time, Pentax will have developed a system to compete favourably with it's FF competitors and will have been sufficiently successful to have a new line up of suitable lenses.
The future of photography is largely digital and not all pieces of equipment will be fully compatible with the older technology and we just have to accept that things move on.

Go digital, stay analogue or use both......the choice is yours and there's nothing wrong with whatever choice you make!
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!

George Lazarette

Link Posted 12/12/2006 - 09:59
Kimbo,

There isn't a hope in hell of a full frame Pentax DSLR. It's much more likely that Canon will abandon full frame in three years time when they see all the pros defecting to the cheaper, smaller, lighter, better bodies from Nikon and Pentax.

They're between Scylla and Charybdis. For studio and landscape work, the 6x6 and 645 cameras provide much better quality, and for sports, wildlife, and general photography the smaller APS-C bodies provide more than adequate quality in a much more portable (and economical) package.

If people actually needed full frame (as opposed to bleating about it), Nikon would be going out of business and Canon would be selling full frame in its consumer range.

On the contrary, of the three manufacturers who produced full frame bodies, two have stopped doing so.

Now if full frame could be produced for the same price as APS-C, it might be a different story. But it can't, and never will be, and very few people are prepared to put their money where their mouth is, and stump up the considerable difference.

If the nitwit who started this thread NEEDED full frame, he wouldn't be shooting his mouth here, he would already have a Canon or Kodak or Contax camera.

But he doesn't need one. He just needs to bleat.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Ammonyte

Link Posted 12/12/2006 - 10:14
As I think I said in another thread, neither I nor many amateurs need to produce prints larger than A3 and for that even a 6 MP APS-C sensor is easily sufficient. The size/weight thing also becomes important these days. If you want to attract new people into SLR photography, you have to remember that they are probably currently using compact cameras that you can lose down the back of the sofa!

In the interview with the pentax engineer he makes the point that the shake reduction had to be beefed up for the 10 MP sensor - if they did a full frame sensor they would have to make it even more robust (and power hungry), because Pentax put the SR in the body to support all their legacy lenses.

FF is a dinosaur, the deccan traps are erupting, and it's just waiting for a meteor impact to finish it off!
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

fatspider

Link Posted 12/12/2006 - 12:00
Maybe its time for Pentax to ditch the idea of backwards compatibility, lets face it, it never did Canon or Nikon any harm, their sales figures prove it!

Seriously now teogin, Pentax have dont their best to maintain the K mount and keep it as adaptable as they can without compromising features on later models, can the same be said for other brands?, As for flash, perhaps Pentax realised that buyers WANTED more advanced flashguns for thier newer bodies and sales figures reflected this, why go to the expense of making a modern DSLR TTL flash compatable if the majority of its buyers will want PTTL.
As for reduced circle lenses you can apply the same argument, but hey, if you dont like them then Pentax still produce "35mm" alternatives.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Pwynnej

Link Posted 12/12/2006 - 12:32
Needs also to get facts right...

I believe Nikon have stated they won't be doing FF, the Olympus sensor is smaller than APS-C

There is a trend for things to get smaller and smaller, and as some of the others do say, 6MP is adequate for most people's needs (gives satisfactory 10x8 prints), so a APS-C 10-12 MP will be more than sufficient for the majority of people....

I think this thread has only served to wind up people....

Hazza

Link Posted 12/12/2006 - 13:09
As was stated in the last reply, maybe the intention was to wind people up, and if so a job well done.
Most people who are new to photography or younger than, say, 20 probably have never had an anologue Pentax SLR and so Digital is probably the first ones they have owned and will more than likely buy lenses that suit the format. The older ones amongst us have grown up with K1000s and MXs where everything was manual, but times have moved on and I now embrace the digital format although I do still have a few K lenses which I use from time to time because of the faster aperture and smaller depth of field.
Lets encourage the newcomers and help them along, eh.
Harry

Mr. Ist

Link Posted 12/12/2006 - 14:01
I fall into the under 20 category mentioned above, and only had a compact 35mm and a compact digital (I regret, not pentax ) before my dl2. As is frequently mentioned on this forum, the salesman was busting his gut to sell me a canon 350d or a nikon d50. Neither of these cameras felt right in the hands and the viewfinders weren't nearly as good the pentax. I was intent on buying the pentax as I knew any lenses I found cheaply on ebay etc would work - The salesman didn't really see this as a major plus, and encouraged me to buy the DA lenses, if I really felt I had to buy pentax. Clearly these suit the istD series best, but I found it slightly strange as that shop (J****ps) didn't even stock a single K lens!

In my humble opinion I don't see why pentax would want to produce a full frame body after commiting themselves to what would be an incompatible line of DA and DA* lenses. Long live pentax

Kimbo

Link Posted 12/12/2006 - 14:35
I can't help but agree with everything said so far but I don't discount the possibility of anything. Just look at how prices for technology have tumbled, who would have thought just a few years ago that computers with flat-screen monitors, multi-core processors, gigabytes of dual channel memory and hundreds of gigabytes of storage could cost less than 1000?
Size and weight are important for many people but consider the success of the earlier Canon EOS film bodies, they were big and chunky but the EOS1000 in particular was tremendously successful. Anyone wanting an SLR is more likely to opt for a high spec. at the right price over something that 'feels' like they're getting less for their money.
Of course much of it is to do with marketing and salesmanship but if it works!!!
So who's to say that they can't come up with a cheaper way to produce a larger sensor or decide on our behalf that we need a radical re-design and that we want something bigger and heavier?
Trends change and first time users buy what is presented to them with little regard for the design of obsolete models.
It seems we grew tired of the push-button designs of the late 80's and 90's and so the top-plate dials were reintroduced but there have been generatons of people who have grown up using mobile phones and games consoles and have no idea what a 'dial' is......so who knows, perhaps we'll go back to all buttons again!

I really think we should keep our minds open, tomorrow things could look very different!
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!

Mannesty

Link Posted 12/12/2006 - 14:42
Quite honestly, I'm very surprised at how many have taken the bait. This person seems to be nothing more than a Pentax film camera using wind-up merchant. Some people just will not learn and move on. The 645D is probably the answer to his rantings but I doubt he/she will stump up the required capital to own one.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.