milamber

Joined: 26th August 2011

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

milamber
Gwyn wrote:
Lucky you!

I agree a K-5 is the way to go, and also that you should take something longer than the 18-135. Whilst you may see whales close up you may not. Ditto bears - you don't want to see them too close up , moose, caribou and birds - don't forget all the eagles up there. You need something longer for them.
I have never used protective filters on my lenses, even when whale watching or dog sledding. I do think a polariser will be a useful filter though.

You could always buy a pack of OpTech rain sleeves to be certain your camera and lens are safe.

Enjoy the planning, it's the trip of a lifetime so take the very best gear you can afford. We'll look forward to some great photos next year

Edit - have you seen this ad? Sounds made for you.
A couple of lenses for sale on the forum too.
Thanks Gwyn

Saw your post after I replied

Will check out the rainsleeves - they look good. I've got a couple of polarising filters somewhere - bound to be the wrong size though!

I might have to re-think a longer lens. I did thing about possibly renting a more expensive lens, but to be honest, for that length of time the rent would almost buy it. Used prices are usually pretty good so, as you say, it might be worth going for something more expensive as I won't lose a lot if I decide to sell after,

I'll check out the K-5 advert, I'm happy to buy used lenses, but haven't considered a used camera before. The saving never seems enough to justify the reduced warranty, but that one looks o.k.

Comment by milamber posted on Thoughts on camera for Alaska? at 17/09/2013 - 18:56

milamber
Thanks - some helpful tips there.

K-5 seems to be preferable to K-30, then?

I had thought about 18-55WR plus 50-200WR, but didn't want to change lenses too often, if possible. I know the whales in particular can get very close so was a bit concerned that something starting at 50mm might be a bit too long. That's why I thought 18-135mm would be a good compromise. I'd love a 50-135mm or a 60-250mm, but might run a bit expensive, sadly. Wish the 55-300mm was WR......

I was planning to get one of the 50mm f1.8's simply because of the excellent price, but hadn't realised the 18-135mm wasn't screw focus so thanks for that, John.

Useful tip about the filters/screen protector as well, thanks. I don't usually use them, but it makes sense.

I have plenty of SD cards and will be taking a laptop or tablet. I usually back up the day's photos every night. Will definitely take a 'spare' camera, but not sure which yet. Need to get the main kit sorted first. As I said, I've plenty of time, but want to keep an eye out on the forums for anything that crops up.

Thanks again.

Comment by milamber posted on Thoughts on camera for Alaska? at 17/09/2013 - 18:48

milamber
Whilst I still lurk and comment from time to time, I haven't had a Pentax camera for around a year now.

I originally had a K-r and upgraded that to a K-30 when they first came out and could be bought for £319 (after cashback).

We have started travelling a reasonable amount in the last couple of years and, whilst I loved the DSLR's, I came to the conclusion that the DSLR plus lenses and associated kit was simply too heavy and bulky to carry everywhere.

I sold the lot and bought a simple little travel zoom which has been a revelation in terms of portability and fine for holiday snaps, but IQ obviously isn't a patch on the DSLR. Plus I miss the viewfinder. Most of the time that doesn't matter, but we have just booked a month in Alaska next May. The primary focus of the trip is going to be wildlife, plus the landscapes ought to be pretty nice

It's going to be pretty much a trip of a lifetime and I want the best possible record so am seriously thinking of getting a DSLR again. I've looked at all the possible alternatives to a DSLR, but nothing else quite cuts it yet. Whilst the CSC's have much smaller bodies, bung a lens on and, whilst lighter, there isn't a great deal of difference in size and portability. Typically, I can get the Fuji X100 for a pretty decent price now, but it's probably not going to be suitable for that trip.

Weather is likely to be a bit variable, plus we will be out in small boats a lot, so I think I'd be best off sticking with Pentax for the weatherproofing (caveats noted...)

Not sure I can quite stretch to the K-5 II having spent all the money on the trip so it probably boils down to a toss up between the K-30 and the K-5 which are broadly similar prices at the moment. I've never had a DSLR with a top LCD so that probably isn't a deal breaker. I'd appreciate people's thoughts on which one might a be better choice.

As far as lenses go I'm thinking DA 18-135mm despite it being a little over-priced at present IMO. The plan is to keep an eye out on the forum for a good used copy, but I'll buy the camera new from SRS unless anything irrestible crops up. Auto focus speed is likely to be an issue, particularly with the whales, porpoises etc and I gather the 18-135mm is pretty good in that regard. It's not that long for a wildlife lens, but I think we will be pretty close to much of the animals, at least I hope so! I had an 18-250mm before which was a very nice lens, but it's not weatherproof.

Any thoughts on camera/lenses appreciated. Also any feelings on how long the K-5/K-30 might be available for and whether the price has bottomed out yet? Seeing a few adverts for the K-5 saying 'last stock'. Is it worth the extra for the K-5 II if I can stretch to it and might that reduce in price if Pentax bring something else in the meantime?

I've obviously got a while to go yet, but won't have the funds to get everything in one go so will be buying gradually over a period of time.

Thanks

Comment by milamber posted on Thoughts on camera for Alaska? at 17/09/2013 - 14:56

milamber
greynolds999 wrote:
Sorry to be on-topic but LCE have one for £499. link I've bought from them before and always found them to be very honest with their descriptions.

Did you have a price in mind?
I'll be in Norwich early next week if you wanted it looked at, Shaun. Can't test it, though, no dslr at present.

Comment by milamber posted on WANTED - DA* 50-135mm at 13/09/2013 - 15:28

milamber
Which ship was that, David?

Comment by milamber posted on Mediterranean Diversity at 08/09/2013 - 11:31

milamber
I can see where you are coming from Shaun, I don't think there is a single site/forum I am a member of where someone hasn't said something, at some time, that has annoyed me and made me wish I hadn't bothered, especially if I was simply trying to help.

That said, you have to take it with a pinch of salt. Some people are just bloody minded and like to wind others up, but most of the time it's simply poor wording due to typing too fast on a mobile, predictive text, a 12 year old pretending to be an adult or simply poor standards of english and the point gets misconstrued. I am sure that is the case here. If Richard had said that "it's a shame someone has given thumbs down - hope it wasn't someone on here as it's a really helpful video“ then there wouldn't be an issue. It took me a few attempts to work out what he was saying.

I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating your efforts.

Comment by milamber posted on My Post Processing Tips at 06/09/2013 - 16:02

milamber
55-300mm received today, packed well and all looks good. Thanks Sue.

Comment by milamber posted on Pentax 55-300mm plus 2 cheap lenses at 05/09/2013 - 12:13

milamber
First picture is wonderful

Comment by milamber posted on Two new lenses at 05/09/2013 - 10:06

milamber
Not until Sept 5th, according to the link.......

Comment by milamber posted on Here's hoping... at 03/09/2013 - 16:04

milamber
PM sent re 55-300mm

Comment by milamber posted on Pentax 55-300mm plus 2 cheap lenses at 02/09/2013 - 17:20

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo