All Forum Comments
Comment by JanM posted on What would you wish for? at 15/01/2024 - 15:25
davidwozhere wrote:
Super Multi Coated Motors? So that's why they self destruct is it?
Must be, my DA*16-50mm has had the motors crap out for the second time. About to become an expensive paper weight.Super Multi Coated Motors? So that's why they self destruct is it?
Comment by JanM posted on What would you wish for? at 14/01/2024 - 05:01
Being an avid Pentax camera and lens user I thought I would suggest a topic for discussion that might get back to the Pentax marketing department.
Personally I do not see me investing in a new film camera, I already have two older functioning excellent film cameras. Nor would I want an AFC camera whose claim to fame is an improved view finder or one that only takes black and white images. I gave up black and white years ago once I could afford color film and processing. I would wish for with no particular order
1. An AFC sensor camera that incorporated the features of the K1, third multi selector knob, built in GPS, illuminated controls and an articulated viewing screen.
2. A mirrorless K1 with improved updated electronics.
3. A digital K1000, that offers all of the manual controls of the K1000, the same size camera but with a digital sensor and updated electronics.
4. An Adapter that would allow me to attach and use the modern third party lenses to my existing Pentax cameras.
5. A software update for my K3 and K1 that would allow me to use the camera screw driver autofocus system for lenses with SMC motors.
Personally I do not see me investing in a new film camera, I already have two older functioning excellent film cameras. Nor would I want an AFC camera whose claim to fame is an improved view finder or one that only takes black and white images. I gave up black and white years ago once I could afford color film and processing. I would wish for with no particular order
1. An AFC sensor camera that incorporated the features of the K1, third multi selector knob, built in GPS, illuminated controls and an articulated viewing screen.
2. A mirrorless K1 with improved updated electronics.
3. A digital K1000, that offers all of the manual controls of the K1000, the same size camera but with a digital sensor and updated electronics.
4. An Adapter that would allow me to attach and use the modern third party lenses to my existing Pentax cameras.
5. A software update for my K3 and K1 that would allow me to use the camera screw driver autofocus system for lenses with SMC motors.
Comment by JanM posted on What would you wish for? at 13/01/2024 - 18:43
I purchased one of the original GPS unit for my K-3. It did not get used too much because it was just something else to carry around and it did seem to drain the camera battery as well as its battery. But that is a subjective observation, I never spend too much time experiencing with it. I love the built in unit included with the K-1ii and leave it turned on almost all of the time. I was disappointed to see it omitted from the K-3ii, it seemed sad that you had to give up both the built-in flash and the GPs unit for the K-3ii.
Comment by JanM posted on Pentax GPS Unit Review at 08/01/2023 - 00:16
Great images, thank for sharing.
Comment by JanM posted on Cornwall in November at 20/11/2021 - 19:39


Being an avid Pentax camera and lens user I thought I would suggest a topic for discussion that might get back to the Pentax marketing department.
Personally I do not see me investing in a new film camera, I already have two older functioning excellent film cameras. Nor would I want an AFC camera whose claim to fame is an improved view finder or one that only takes black and white images. I gave up black and white years ago once I could afford color film and processing. I would wish for with no particular order
1. An AFC sensor camera that incorporated the features of the K1, third multi selector knob, built in GPS, illuminated controls and an articulated viewing screen.
2. A mirrorless K1 with improved updated electronics.
3. A digital K1000, that offers all of the manual controls of the K1000, the same size camera but with a digital sensor and updated electronics.
4. An Adapter that would allow me to attach and use the modern third party lenses to my existing Pentax cameras.
5. A software update for my K3 and K1 that would allow me to use the camera screw driver autofocus system for lenses with SMC motors.
2. Why would people buy such a camera when it doesn't have a viewfinder or has an electronic viewfinder but still the registration distance (and therefore size) of a DSLR?
3. Simply not possible due to the thickness of the sensor and associated electronics. The nearest is the Nikon ZF but that's mirrorless.
4. Not possible in most cases without corrective optics that would massively downgrade the IQ.
5. Now this one actually seems realistic