Greytop

Joined: 10th January 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Greytop
Hi and welcome

Comment by Greytop posted on A proper camera forum then? at 14/02/2009 - 21:19

Greytop
You may have noticed it's not the only Pentax item he has for sale. Looks like all are listed as new, perhaps he's a dealer or is moving bankrupt stock?

Comment by Greytop posted on ebay:New DA 300mm f/4 £659.99!!! at 13/02/2009 - 10:06

Greytop
Mark, Ignore my pre edit comment. I would hazard a guess that your problem may well be that you need to update to V1.3 firmware. Take a look here http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k10d_s.html

Changes to V1.30
1. Correspond to PENTAX DA lens which built-in supersonic motor (SDM System)

In other words your DA* 16-50

Hope that helps.

Comment by Greytop posted on K10 Focussing Issues at 12/02/2009 - 19:47

Greytop
Nah, you really can't compare it with a DSLR IMHO.
I had a Fuji S9500 bridge camera before I got my first DSLR and whilst it was pretty impressive, macro to 300 mm equivalent, nice colours etc. But it just couldn't hold a candle to my E-510 and the set of lenses I eventually purchased. But I guess why should it? ...it was much cheaper

Comment by Greytop posted on Could I Defect at 12/02/2009 - 10:05

Greytop
Hi John, welcome to the forum from a new Pentax user

Comment by Greytop posted on Forum Newbie at 11/02/2009 - 23:49

Greytop
Hi Roger, welcome to the forum

Comment by Greytop posted on hello at 11/02/2009 - 23:48

Greytop
Hi Martin, welcome to the forum.
Apart from the RAW file options I think the menu system is different, the body styling is a little more angular in places. Not sure about anything else, they are very similar. No doubt about it both cameras (K20D & GX-20) are very good value.
I would consider the K20D a step up the ladder from a D90 but then I would say that wouldn't I

Comment by Greytop posted on Wotcha at 11/02/2009 - 15:26

Greytop
Hi there, welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear about your focussing problem. When you say you get inaccurate results when manually focussing, have you tried using a tripod to do manual verses auto focus? I have done this in the past and used a target like news print taped to a wall. Also use a timer shutter release. I find that it can help determine where the problem lies. Then if you can establish that you have an issue with a lens front or back focussing, you can use a focus chart to enable you to calibrate out the error. I understand that the K10D also has this capability like the K20D.
You may have tried all this already of course.
Best of luck

Comment by Greytop posted on K10 Focussing Issues at 11/02/2009 - 14:31

Greytop
iceblinker wrote:
The noise from the AF switch is just the screw drive popping out. It's normal.
So your K20D makes this noise too.
I must admit I'm not 100% convinced it's right. My original trade (many years ago) was an instrument maker so small precision mechanical/electrical assemblies are not something completely alien to me
To me it sounds like it is having to overcome some resistance that shouldn't be there, my guess would be a slight misalignment of the motor drive spindle assembly perhaps.

Comment by Greytop posted on K20D focus mode switch, opinions sought. at 11/02/2009 - 12:22

Greytop
Thanks for the replies. I should have added that it happens with the lens on or off the body, currently I only have the one lens . Yes it seems to be the drive screw / pin mechanism clicking as the lever is turned from manual (retracted) to C and S auto focus (out).

Oh I should also add that this is a new K20D body which I received yesterday, kindly arranged by Chris at SRS because my first one had some issues with many faulty pixels that weren't mapped out by pixel mapping. I do know my original body didn't make this noise.
Am I being picky here? I am concious that to keep returning / replacing bodies is not something SRS or I want to get into. Thoughts?

Comment by Greytop posted on K20D focus mode switch, opinions sought. at 11/02/2009 - 09:39

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo